1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree that they will likely exceed the public rankings, but I'm not sure about the top as those teams just have so many position player prospects. I do think that the Astros use of tandem pitching/limiting innings/max effort development of pitching causes every pitching prospect to get pigeon-holed as a reliever in the eyes of public rankings.

The public rankings still act like 200 innings is a goal for most teams. Sure, if you have an ace prospect, you try to develop that. If you have a guy that can pitch like an ace for 120 innings, you develop that instead of a 200-inning pitcher that you don't want to pitch in the playoffs.

#221 Joe Joe, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Nook and No Worries like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I certainly think the farm will be ranked higher at the end of this season than it is now. I don’t think there are any Bregman/Correa/Altuve/Alvarez/Springer types in the current system outside of maybe Leon, but there are more than a handful of guys who could be Castro/Tucker/Gurriel/Marwin level players. And the pitching is always so hard to predict, but there are more 98-100 guys in this system than just about any other.

No Worries, Astrofan59 and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I agree there are no future MVP’s in the system, but I do think Brown especially has a chance to be very good. There are a group of players like Lee, Pena, Abreu, Garcia that could be good for a long time.... the super upside wildcards are Whitley, Leon, Barber and Perez.... Barber is someone that Luhnow had a really high opinion of.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I take prospect rankings with a giant grain of salt under normal circumstances. Add to it that they didn't have a minor league season in 2020 and I'm nearly ignoring them at this point.

The production we received from Javier, Paredes, Taylor, Scrubb, and Garcia last year is just another example of how much variance and inaccuracy there is in prospect evaluations.

Javier went from not even being a top 100 prospect to finishing 3rd in ROY.

Nook, vince, The Beard and 7 others like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Especially with pitching prospects, it is just silly to rank them. You can get some idea of ceiling from stats, scouting reports, and velo readings, but in terms of overall value of pitching prospects it is very random.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Top velocity mentions in the mlb.com top 30:
    Whitley 99
    Brown 98
    Garcia 97
    Solis 97 (I’ve heard higher)
    Ivey 95
    Santos 96
    Dubin 97
    Abreu 97
    Solomon 96
    Brown 96
    Torres 100
    Conine 96
    Hansen 96
    Lopez 95
    Rodriguez 95
    Henley 94

I know at least one guy not on this list (Diosmerky Taveras) can get up near 100.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There is a lot of variance, but it wasn't like Javier, Paredes, and Garcia came out of no where. I didn't think Javier would get a crack as a starter last season. I expected that the Astros would get two high leverage relievers out of Javier, Paredes, and Abreu. If it wasn't for the starters injuries/sucking/plague, Valdez and Javier would have anchored a hellacious bullpen instead of having to bail out a beat up rotation.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A nice article on teams ability to add velocity in the minors.

https://theathletic.com/2411652/2021/03/10/best-worst-teams-developing-velocity/

Excerpt:

“Astros were higher on our list,” they said. “It matters how you value velocity and movement, and that’s very different from team to team.”

Multiple sources confirmed that the Dodgers, Reds, Mariners and Astros were showing some ability to move the shape and velocity of their minor-league pitchers — even if the scope and scale might be less than a leaderboard like this one might lead you to believe — and also that the Brewers seem to value movement differently than others.

Edit: I find it funny how much perception of the Astros has changed in a little over a year regarding pitching development in the minors.

#228 Joe Joe, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    raining threes likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Stros might have something with Solomon. Lookin sharp.

Joe Joe and Screaming Fist like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Was this before the 3rd inning? :)

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Players slated for AAA got in the 2nd half of yesterday’s game at every position except LF:

C Stubbs
    1B Jones
    2B De Goti
    SS Garcia
    3B Hinojosa
    RF De La Cruz
    CF Siri
    LF (Diaz played yesterday but this would likely be Jake Meyers if McCormick makes the big league roster)
    DH Dawson

14. vince

vince Member

Well I hope that’s true to case.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Bryan De La Cruz is an interesting prospect. Nothing stands out in his minor league stat lines but he’s been mentioned over the past several seasons for his contact profile, so he must hit the ball pretty hard. He also must not be terrible on defense. Possibly the type of prospect who blossoms into HR power and becomes a decent everyday RF.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros got back Rule 5 pick JA Rivera. Another guy who can throw 100, although apparently his velocity was down in ST with the Angels. He should be in AA, which will have a stacked rotation of Solomon, Solis, Dubin, Torres, Rivera, and Hansen. Hunter Brown and Blair Henley both should also reach AA pretty quickly.

Joe Joe likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Only 4 of Houston’s top 30 prospects are expected to graduate this year: Abreu, Garcia, Jones, and McCormick. Solis, Solomon, and Ivey are on the 40 man but it’s probably not likely any of them get enough mlb innings to lose prospect status. So wherever this farm is ranked now, they should be ranked a handful of spots higher by the end of the season just based on retention.

The QO outlook for next season has also cleared up a bit since we know McCullers won’t reach free agency and Correa is extremely likely to sign elsewhere. The main question there is if they will QO Verlander. 2 extra picks in the 2022 draft would be a good injection of talent to make up for the picks they lost in the cheating scandal. It’s a bummer their pick for Springer was only a 4th rounder.