1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021: Are you still carrying cash?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Apr 23, 2021.

?

How much cash do you carry daily?

1. 100 or more- never know

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. about 50

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. about 20

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
  4. singles and change for vending macikned

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. none - what am I a caveman!!

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was on the other side of this when I was a cashier. Cuz someone would give me the extra $3.25 so they could get the even 15, and I'd just take it and do the transaction. But that would disappoint them, and they would always have to tell about WHY they gave me that extra $3.25 because they thought they were so damn clever. For a long time I would be like "oh wow that's smart" but eventually got annoyed by it and would just say "yeah I know; I see it multiple times a day." I did the same when people would say those "jokes" to the cashier that they think are so clever but are heard a dozen times a day. "I've heard that before," while looking at them expressionless.

God damn I hated Bucees

jiggyfly, Rocket River and arkoe like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

3. TimDuncanDonaut

^ this

4. TimDuncanDonaut

I use cash for things like grocery; it's still legal tender. If it's somewhere I rarely go or a place I'm there and spending money once, I use cash.

Plastic, yes used that too but mostly for bills and some online purchases. I'm mindful of where I use my plastics, fewer the places the better.

CCity Zero and BamBam like this.
  5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't unless I am going to game or somewhere where I need it to pay the parking attendant. Its just such a hassle to get it since most employers pay direct deposit now.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

For in person retail/restaurant purchases, I use cash only. During the pandemic, it's been weird since many vendors don't take cash since apparently there was a coin shortage. In that case, I'll tell the cashier to keep the change or I'll use Apple Pay instead if they still insist on no cash.

I've had my credit card skimmed too many times at food establishments, so now I just use cash. I also like the anonymity of cash purchases. I do have a premium points credit card, but that is only for online purchases.

CCity Zero and jiggyfly like this.
  7. elrond

elrond Member

That's when you give them a 10 and 5 1s. If they say anything, just said you ran out of 5s :p

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I keep between 60-100.

Cash only circumstances tend to pop up unexpectedly.

Then there's things like service industry (bartender, waiter, masseuse, haircut) where I definitely want to tip cash so they can dodge Uncle Sam and/or their boss.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Har har it dont work its free! HAR HAR HAR

*stroke*

*ded*

(For the record I never feel the need to explain my working up in denominations. Too many blank stares taught me early on it was fruitless)

Haymitch likes this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

At this point it's just keeping tip money here and there. Even the people that I used to pay cash are now set up with Venmo and Zelle.

Gas is still typically cheaper if you pay cash, I may entertain using cash for gas, but then I would be forfeiting rewards points from using my credit card.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I keep a 20 behind my drivers license for emergencies and so my wife won't find it. Maybe another 10 to 20 bucks cash in case i need to pay for parking or something else that's cash only.

Tipping....man, I never thought of cash vs. debit. I consider myself a big tipper (usually about 33%) but I never think to do it with cash. Hope I'm not inadvertently screwing over waitstaff/drivers that I'm trying so hard to help.

CCity Zero likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ima tell her ur secret.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I don't carry any cash on my person but I keep about $100 in the van in case I come across a place that only takes cash (fruit stand on the side of the road, small mom and pop shops) or I anything ever happens. I figure that's enough for a tank of gas and a couple meals if something happens to my 1 cc I carry and it is temporarily out of service.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

a lot of hole in the wall places still accept cash only

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Really?

Tell me more.

CCity Zero likes this.