1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Assuming we're talking Plesac, he's been a starter in all 24 games he's played in the majors

2. HTown2017Champs

No, he was talking about Lugo.

Rockets12 and raining threes like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's better on a per inning basis like almost every pitcher as a reliever. Overall, he provided slightly more value as a starter and looked like he just had some bad luck on a team that pulled plug likely too soon.

punkoholic likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s a shame Whitley’s stock is down, because the emergence of Javier-Valdez-Bielak-Urquidy has me feeling pretty good about the future of the rotation to the point that including Whitley in a trade for a controllable star bat makes sense to me now.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs has Yordan as the 34th most valuable player in the league in their trade value rankings. Ramon Laureano comes in at 36th; ouch.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would y’all do Forrest Whitley, Kyle Tucker, and Abraham Toro for Jeff McNeil, Michael Conforto, and Edwin Diaz? I think I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Htown Legend likes this.
  7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Of course.

No way Mets give that up for Whitley, Tucker, and Toro. You would probably have to throw in Abreu and someone else at a minimum.

King1, whiskeyred and raining threes like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would probably be willing to add in any pitching prospect not on the active roster. Both McNeil and Conforto are likely QO candidates so Houston would get prospects on the back end. Adding McNeil would essentially offset losing Springer, and Conforto replaces Brantley. Houston would still need to add a bat to replace Reddick/Tucker but it could be a cheap bottom of the other guy. A lineup built around Bregman, McNeil, Altuve, and Alvarez is a contender thru 2024. And they’d probably be able to resign Correa (or have money to replace him with another star quality bat).

9. Nook

Nook Member

That is a tough one.

Conforto has one year after this, Diaz has two years........

McNeil would allow the Astros to trade Correa if they are so inclined, to get a pitcher...... or McNeil can play in the outfield.

Diaz is at worst a solid 7-8 inning guy and at best is the best closer in the game.

Conforto is a well above average outfielder.

The Astros would obviously be better this year with that trade and likely next year as well..... the biggest issue is the rotation will be having issues after this season and will be an ace short.

I guess the idea is move Correa for an ace.

If the Astros kept Correa, they could move McNeil to the outfield with Conforto and Springer for this season..... but that leaves Brantley or Alvarez on the bench.

The other option is to try and spin Conforto to a third team and get a starter under control and then trade for an outfielder (Calhoun/La Stella)

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The lineup after that trade for me would be (assuming everybody is healthy):

OF Springer
    OF McNeil
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    OF Conforto/Brantley
    2B Altuve
    1B Gurriel
    C Maldonado

Bench: Diaz, Garneau, Reddick

They’d have 9 good hitters for only 8 spots, but with McNeil’s ability to play 5 of those spots he could move around to accommodate days off so they could all essentially be full time players. And it would be likely that at least one player would be banged up or in need of a day off. It also solves the offense for next season.

I would not move Correa unless there was an overwhelming offer and no way he could be extended.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Would you move Correa for Luis Castillo? I would

raining threes likes this.
  12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I dont think it would be fair straight up.
    I think we would need alittle more in return.
    But thats me.
    I like Nick Senzel and Castillo for Correa and a PTBNL type deal

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Kyle Tucker isn't going anywhere. Neither is Whitley.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes. But I don’t think Cincinnati would do that deal.

Joe Joe likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You are probably right, but one factor is that Click does not have the same assessment/attachment/investment in those 2 prospects that Luhnow had. They are unlikely to be traded, as any top prospect is usually unlikely to be traded, but if Click thinks he can get a good deal he will do it.

everyday eddie and Htown Legend like this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Two weeks to the deadline, and I would imagine the buyers and sellers have solidified. Teams with <25% chance of making the playoffs according to Fangraphs current projections, along with which players on each team might be available and interest Houston:

Red Sox: C Christian Vasquez, 1B Mitch Moreland, SP Nathan Eovaldi, SP Martin Perez, RP Heath Hembree, RP Brandon Workman

Royals: C Salvador Perez, OF Whit Merrifield, OF Jorge Soler, IF Maikel Franco, SP Danny Duffy, RP Greg Holland, RP Trevor Rosenthal, 1B Hunter Dozier

Tigers: OF JaCoby Jones, SP Matt Boyd, RP Jose Cisnero, P Daniel Norris

Mariners: IF Kyle Seager, SP Taijuan Walker, RP Carl Edwards Jr

Marlins: IF/OF Jon Villar, 1B/OF Jesus Aguilar, IF/OF Brian Anderson, OF Corey Dickerson, C Francisco Cervelli, RP Brandon Kintzler, RP Nick Vincent

Pirates: IF Adam Frazier, 1B Josh Bell, IF Colin Moran, OF Gregory Polanco, SP Joe Musgrove, SP Chad Kuhl, P Chris Stratton, RP Richard Rodriguez

Giants: IF Wilmer Flores, IF Evan Longoria, OF Alex Dickerson, 1B/OF Brandon Belt, SP Kevin Gausman, SP Johnny Cueto, RP Tony Watson

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. HTown2017Champs

As far as Whitley goes, I'm very pessimistic about him. Too many injury concerns, and even when healthy he has had command and ERA issues.

Also, I don't want to give up too much for this year, no one-month rentals. Not to be a Negative Nancy but winning this year will do nothing to give us a title without an asterisk, I can guarantee. Plus with our terrible injury concerns, and all these "just barely" wins I honestly don't feel that confident in this form of our team in the playoffs. Depending on how the next week and a half goes I'd be fine with a move or two to restock the farm. Also try and buy low on some controllable "reclamation" guys (like Boyd from DET, despite the longball issues he produces a lot of whiffs).

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Astros have to hold on to Tucker and Alvarez as the cheap solid bats in the lineup especially if they have any hope of resigning Springer or Correa.

raining threes likes this.
  19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

what about
    Josh Bell to the Pirates for Josh James and a Prospect

Then
    Reddick and Tyler Jones to the Orioles for Ryan Mountcastle

Carlos Correa, Bryan Abreu and Feudis, Nova to the Reds or Nick Senzel and Luis Castillo

And last
    Jose Urquidy and Abraham Toro to the Royals for Trevor Rosenthal

20. Senator

Senator Member

kyle tucker is cheap, so valuable
    forrest whitley, why kick a guy when he's out? how many hader's you want to lose, a guy you could really use right now, because they didnt shoot out of the gates like alvarez

The guy you trade is a Correa or Springer - big extension coming up. from the beginning Ive said try to get as much pitching talent for correa as you can, because there will be bats to fill in but in postseason play you need dominant pitching.