1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do not think Houston should trade Springer, but if they were to sell, he’s really the only player who it might makes sense to sell (and that would only be if there was zero chance of an extension). Looking for matches, the Indians, Nationals, and a Rockies seem like potential buyers. Here’s some hypotheticals:

To the Indians for C Bo Naylor and RHP Triston McKenzie
    To the Nats for RHP Jackson Rutledge and RHP Will Crowe
    To the Rockies for 1B Mike Toglia and OF Ryan Vilade

Those would all probably be overpays by those other teams but to me that’s what it should take to get Houston to bite, given they’d be sacrificing the comp pick plus Springer’s presence for the remainder of the season.

#41 Snake Diggit, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Unless we are completely out of it, Verlander is done and Osuna is too, I think there is no way Crane is a seller at the deadline. He sure as heck doesn’t want to give the reporters reasons to further trash the Astros and declare the team dead, he doesn’t want the fans to think so and I bet he is very much concerned about maintaining or winning the fans back, and most of all, if there is a punchers chance of doing damage in this most random of post seasons, he is going to take it. A ring this year would be worth a ton in terms of vindication, not that MLB fans will think we’re vindicated, but he will.

3. HTown2017Champs

Agree with you SnakeDiggit. LOVE Mike Toglia, wanted him to fall to our spot last draft (despite still having Beer), I'd be so pumped if we can net him in a trade. Another hypothetical trade would be him to Baltimore for Ryan Mountcastle + (other), since I like him too. I'd also add Jake Bauers as a throw-in to the CLE package. Looked at WAS prospect list and they're mostly pitching, like us (outside 1 and 2 which they wouldn't trade for a rental). They look good but I'd rather get hitting prospects since we're weaker there and I'm confident in our ability to develop our young arms.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  4. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

I like your optimism, but it's unrealistic to expect Verlander and Grienke to continue pitching at a high level beyond this year. Verlander will be 38 next year and Grienke will be 37. On top of that, there is a chance Verlander may need Tommy John Surgery in order to play again. I just don't see the Astros competing with a 37 year old Grienke and a few other unproven pitchers. Could the Astros win 70-80 games with the roster for next year? Sure they could. But again, that will not be good enough to make the playoffs. Our window is gone after this year and I don't see Crane spending a lot of money on Free Agents. It makes the most sense to evaluate this team for two weeks and determine which path to choose. If the Astros are still struggling then pull the plug and start selling at the deadline. If they miraculously pull a 180 on their season, then you go ahead and see what they can do. As of right now, this team is not going anywhere.

5. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Verlander may be done for a while with Tommy John Surgery. Grienke will be 37 next year. There are plenty of teams that would be interested in having Gurriel or Reddick. I don't believe we will get much for them, but we already know what they are and we should give their spot to somebody else who is unproven. Teams would foam at the mouth to get Grienke for this year, especially a team like the Dodgers who could use another pitcher. We need prospects in the worst way and the only way to get this is to trade our veteran players like Grienke, Springer, and Brantley. Our farm system is ranked number 28, we need to build that back up again in order to make another run.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

You’re pretty silly, so I’m going to put you on ignore after this. But the idea that Greinke will post a Cy Young caliber season this year and fall off a cliff next year is pretty far fetched, and a CY caliber season is exactly what he’s put up so far this year. I addressed Verlander’s situation in my previous comment.

You can argue with projections all you want, but you’re arguing against the most reliable objective data that exists to give us an idea of what to expect, and those numbers tell us Houston will have a very good team next season regardless of Verlanders health or what they do with their pending free agents.

Nook likes this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I dunno. The team right now doesn’t look like a contender, so you’d have to consider getting some value back if they don’t start looking a lot better soon, but the injuries make that tricky. It’s a very different team if guys are healthy and performing up to their expectations. You don’t want to give up on them too quickly. I’m not sure what this team is at the moment. Will they turn it on or not? I honestly don’t know.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

How many players are there with more trade value than Yordan? Five? Ten? Especially at DH, he should be a bargain through his arbitration years unless the CBA restructure really changes. I'm so glad we stole him, and from the Dodgers of all places. Suck it, LA.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Lol of course when someone challenges your opinion you put them on ignore. You should call someone to install a safe space at your house while your at it. I wouldn’t want to trigger you.

I will respond to the other part of your post. Greinke has a very small sample size this year and yes I do believe he will eventually fall off a cliff. It’s called aging. 37 is old for a pitcher and I would expect there to be a big decline. Our pitching staff would be Greinke, LMJ, and a few players who don’t have a ton of experience. Meanwhile, having projections for next year is not something I would rely on, especially when we are having to replace the entire outfield and first base. There is way too many unknowns to suggest that the Astros will be a 90 win team next year. It’s time to take off the homer glasses and see that this team will have major issues next year.

10. HTown2017Champs

Also saying, as much as I love watching the Astros win, and am happy for it happening any year, I'd rather we win the WS next year than this year. Why? People are already insisting this year's winner will have an asterisk due to the shortened season and other circumstances involved. Of course there's no official asterisks from the league, but even before the season started people were having these conversations. I am very concerned with our farm ranked second to last in the league, it's important to have a good farm system to keep your window open. Also, I don't trust the bullpen we have, or even the rotation without JV if he's unavailable. That said, there are so many uncertainties for next year and even this year. Let's check back in a week or two.

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Not sure if it was mentioned but Clevinger and Plesac was optioned down to their alternate site after sneaking out of the bubble. Obviously we don't want Clevinger and he wants no part of Houston. Any interest in Plesac? His numbers look solid and the cost might be high but if the team is truly pissed off at those two, maybe they're willing to trade him. Unless eventually they forgive him because he's good. Would be funny if Houston got him and they get more hate from the media. Shame on Houston for acquiring a player who snuck out of the bubble, knowing his teammates (Carassco) health issues. But then again, this is the team who acquired Osuna blah blah blah....

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I just saw that there is a rule where only players in a teams 60 man pool can be traded this season. That severely limits the number of prospects available and likely dramatically reduces the number of trades that will happen. There is discussion of expanding the pool by another 15 players but unless that happens in the next few days I don’t see how it could have much impact on the trade deadline.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the trading away players because Astros have old pitchers and holes...it isn’t getting better than this (not counting 2021) in the near future. Astros should still be good the next few years, but there is likely a huge drop In 3-6 years that trading away soon to be free agents doesn't fix.

Only hope is that the current rookie,prospect pitchers succeed. However, if that is the case, this and next year are still likely the Astros best chances in the next 5-7 years as this year as the Astros have the young guys, the heart of the lineup, the soon to be free agent, and the old guys. .

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Framber and Javier give me hope, along with a few in the bullpen.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Framber is currently tied for 15th in MLB in pitching fWAR, tied with Gerrit Cole, Max Scherzer, and Jacob DeGrom.

phasors28 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I wonder if the White Sox would entiretain the idea of George Springer for Micheal Kopach or Luis Patino when the deadline approaches?

Would be a very intreating player to add

17. phasors28

phasors28 Member

If we hold on to Springer make an offer but fail, we’ll get a draft pick right? We should consider that as well since we lost our picks

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Honestly that's worst case scenario.
    I think there is a chance we could trade him if we get blown away.
    Funny thing is all these fa s saying he will stay he will stay he wants to be here. But you haven't heard anything from him or from the team that says contract talks are under way for him to stay here.

I believe he wants out. I believe he wants to go to another team and finish his career. This is what it seems like. There's no talks at all about him staying...
    Show me where he wants to stay? Show me where the GM or the Owner said we want him to stay?
    There's not not a peep not a sign from even his wife or agent.....

This is the crazy part.

19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

This is the time to trade Reddick. If there ever was a time it today. You can't wait for him to slump again. Reddick to the Orioles make a boat load of since. This could be the shot we need to try and nab a Ryan Mountcastle

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, they are on track to get a 2nd round draft pick for Springer just as they did for Cole. Alex Santos, the player they drafted with the comp pick they got for Cole, is the Astros 10th ranked prospect, so I would think the Astros would require at least that much compensation if they were trading Springer.

#60 Snake Diggit, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Rileydog likes this.