1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I find this a weird sentiment, though a lot of old school teams followed this practice. Trading with Astros would weaken Astros when Angels have a better shot of being better than the Astros. I never understood why teams would be interested in hurting a division opponent by hurting themselves.

2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

In this case the Angels have spent a ton of money on Trout, Upton, and Rendon. They also signed Tehran and traded for Bundy. They expected to be better this year. I don't think they are looking for a long term rebuild. They want to win ASAP. It just isn't happening because they haven't developed enough pitching and Ohtani can't throw without hurting himself. I expect them to be aggressive in the offseason going after pitching. So if that is the case, why would they trade a solid starter with a relatively low salary that is under control next year?

raining threes likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Every team wants to win ASAP. Some are more delusional than others. Every year the Angels are delusional helps the Astros in the future.

Who do the Angels have that will be pre-arb next year? Fletcher...anyone else of note? Adell might become a good player, but he is high risk.

#403 Joe Joe, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  4. awc713

awc713 Member

Yup. Concern with LAA is that they’re a big threat to spend. Maybe Arte is the underlying problem. Their pitching has fallen flat for the past decade plus. Yes, they’ve attempted to fix it, but have pretty much wasted Trout’s illustrious career to date. Pitching has never been their organizational strength/priority it seems.

Sidenote, I do like Jo Adell. Nice young ball player, I just wish he were on a different team. Kyle Lewis, too.

Side sidenote, Pujols contract is so scary. I’m often a proponent of throwing all the dollars at Altuve, Bregman, Correa, et al...but these massive contracts can really sink an organization.

#404 awc713, Aug 29, 2020
  5. HTown2017Champs

Padres on the verge of acquiring Trevor Rosenthal from KC, per fellow Rosenthal, Ken's Twitter account.

He also says the Padres are one of the top teams in the mix for Lance Lynn. Slam Diego clearly ain't f***in' around. Trying to capitalize on their season, does make some sense as they've never won it all before and their town has next to nothing to be excited about, even though there'll be no fans this postseason.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure if San Diego will become a great team, but they should be good for a while.

7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

SD loading up to beat the Dodgers. I like it!!

BMoney, dmoneybangbang, King1 and 2 others like this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

I can totally see SD winning a WS with Tatis, whether its this year or later. I like him, Dislike Machado, but whatever, he's the only unlikeable guy on that squad IMO. The city of San Diego deserves soooooo much better, they've been basically stuck in LA's shadow, and they stole their NBA and NFL teams (both should move back, they'll NEVER gain a sizeable LA fanbase). Los Angeles is so overrated, SD has less of a big-city feel than its size suggests.

9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think we could offer them something and possibly help them beat the Dodgers while grabbing some of thwre good prospects. Js.

10. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

At this point Trammell wouldn't be a bad pick up fro. The Padres along with Gabriel Aries.
    But the thing with that is for who?

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What about McCullers and a PTBNL for rhe pair?

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why do you want to get rid of McCullers? Don't you think the Astros can win the World Series this year or next?

RayRay10 and BMoney like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

I'd obviously rather win next year. TBH I don't care about this year. Shortened already, and defined by a lot of 7 inning games and a much expanded postseason, you know especially if it's us winning nobody will care or have respect. And even this year despite our record I'm just not confident, given injuries and slumps. Not to be a downer but that's me and I'm sure others too. I watch MLB this year to kill time and watch youngsters (especially ours) progress and develop, but I can't be as excited about this year, just can't. I'm sure most owners are also feeling less compelled to contend without fans in their stadiums, since the $$$ benefits are not as big. Just my 2 cents, and some perspective. Also, if we can get a blue chip prospect or two, it helps us for 2022-26.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

1. McCullers should not be a SP anymore.
    Should be a Closer
    2. McCullers gets into his own head. Kind of a loose cannon when it comes to what to pitch and when.
    3. He thinks he is way better then he actually is. Wants that big deal money. Therefore wants to stay a SP.

4. When the Seasons over you will have Verlander, Grienke, Javier, Bleilak, Valdez and Urquidy along with a couple more SPs for the 5 Spots. When it comes to McCullers do you really wanna pay him in 2yrs what he thinks he is worth?

15. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

NAILED IT.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If a guy like Dylan Bundy (who has one year of control remaining) is traded, that should give us an idea of what Houston could get for McCullers (although it would probably include a PTBNL or two whose value wouldn’t be known for quite awhile).

I wouldn’t want to trade McCullers at all really, but if they did trade him I’d only want it to be for a really good mlb bat who can hit in the middle of the order next season. McCullers for Mark Canha, who says no?

Conforto would be another possible match.

#416 Snake Diggit, Aug 29, 2020
  17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'm good for Conforto. BLUE JAYS ARE ALSO LOOKING ALONG WITH THE BRAVES

18. Buck Turgidson

I ****ING LOVE ALL CAPS!!!

arkoe and King1 like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On winning it all this year, this will be the most difficult to win World Series to date. I'm all for winning the World Series this year, next year, and maybe a couple more after that. Granted, I dont have a good idea of who is available and for what price...but rentals if available should be cheap.

20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Ok so if and I say if the Braves miss on the SPs Bundy Lynn ETC would you offer up McCullers and let's say Bielak for Drew Waters and Patrick Wiegal?

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Seems Angels are asking for the moon for Bundy and the Rangers are doing the same. Pache and Anderson are the starting point apparently?
    Idk but that sounds high. I like Waters as a Underated CF acquisition.
    And I believe we will get prices out of McCullers market in a couple years