1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Texans vs 2019 Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think most of us are struggling with the Texans' deals and value received for outgoing players. The only trade I think they clearly came out on top with is the Carlos Hyde trade and he is no longer on the roster. But they have been adding players, though in some cases overpaid players. If we take out contracts, trades, value and all that out of the conversation; how does the 2020 Texans compare to the 2019 version. Every team should be better on paper than the previous year. Are they really THAT worse? Let's discuss:

QB
    2019: Deshaun Watson and AJ McCarron
    2020: Deshaun Watson and AJ McCarron
    SAME

RB
    2019: Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson, Taiwan Jones
    2020: David Johnson, Duke Johnson, Buddy Howell

WR
    2019: Deandre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Kenny Stills, Deandre Carter, Keke Coutee
    2020: Brandin Cooks, Will Fuller, Kenny Stills, Randall Cobb, Isaiah Coulter

TE
    2019: Darren Fells, Jordan Akins, Jordan Thomas
    2020: Darren Fells, Kahale Warring, Jordan Akins

OL
    2019: Laremy Tunsil, Zac Fulton, Nick Martin, Max Scharping, Tytus Howard, Greg Mancz, Senio Kelemete, Roderick Johnson, Chris Clark
    2020: Laremy Tunsil, Zac Fulton, Nick Martin, Max Scharping, Tytus Howard, Greg Mancz, Senio Kelemete, Charlie Heck, Roderick Johnson

DL:
    2019: JJ Watt, DJ Reader, Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson, Charles Omenihu, Carlos Watkins
    2020: JJ Watt, Brandon Dunn, Angelo Blackson, Ross Blacklock, Tim Jernigan, Charles Omenihu

Edge
    2019: Whitney Mercilus, Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin, Barkevious Mingo
    2020: Whitney Mercilus, Brennan Scarlett, Jacob Martin, John Greenard

LB
    2019: Benardrick McKinney, Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole
    2020: Benardrick McKinney, Zach Cunningham, Dylan Cole
    SAME

CB
    2019: Bradley Roby, Gareon Conley, Lonnie Johnson, Vernon Hargraves, Jonathan Joseph
    2020: Bradley Roby, Gareon Conley, Lonnie Johnson, John Reid, Vernon Hargrave

S
    2019: Justin Reid, Tashaun Gipson, Jahleel Addai
    2020: Justin Reid, Eric Murray, Michael Thomas, Jaylen Watkins

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The O-line, D-line are deeper. So is the Secondary. WR are deeper, but you have to replace Hopkins’ production. There are players at RB (Hogdon and Phillips) that could really make a difference. This team is better overall. People are going harp on Hopkins, but until we see them on the field...we won’t know.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

This is probably a thread for September/October

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rearranging chairs on the Titanic Brian.
    Same as it ever was Brian. 9-7/10-6, first round fodder.
    PS: Chiefs just scored again.

Nook, JoeBarelyCares, awc713 and 9 others like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Only you would think this team is better overall. O-line is pretty much the same. Can't expect much more out of the rookie Heck than we can out of Roderick Johnson. Cobb, on paper, is an upgrade from Coutee but the drop-off between Hopkins and Cook is more than the upgrade. The bench at RB that you mention are just about the same as last year. For what this team likes to do, I prefer Hyde/Duke to Johnson/Johnson.

All in all, it's not as bad when you don't consider the lopsided trades. But like I said, teams should be getting better every year. Texans still have some work to do; but I still expect them to contend for the division title again ( Yeah! )

QB-Same.
    RB- slight drop-off
    WR- slight drop-off
    TE-expect the same
    OL-expect the same
    DL- slight dropoff (hoping Jernigan picks up where he left off last year and the rookie eventually puts it together)
    Edge - upgrade (rookie better come through)
    LB-expect the same
    CB- slight upgrade
    S-dropoff

Hopefully they take the remaining of the offseason to shore up the safety and d-lineman positions.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hijacking with my comments.

Same yes but one step closer to having to cut Deshaun a giant check.

Arguably worse. Hyde was a workhorse. Johnson is a shadow of his former self.

Legit worse. Deeper but Cooks and Cobb do not replace Hop, not even close really.

Maybe better? At least a year of growth in a position of youth.

Reader leaving hurts. Watt isn't getting better. Worse.

Big bunch of meh.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Safeties minus Reid yikes. Also hoping DJ can have a similar season to Carlos Hyde.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Head Coach still the same.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Watson makes the leap from top 5 to All-world.

10-6

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’m fine with trading a pick in the 20’s for Tunsil & Stills.

Don’t love the Hopkins trade but there were obstacles (finding a team that could pay him the $20 mil/year he deserves) but the return ultimately for Cooks, Johnson & Blacklock is not as terrible of a return as people think on here.

11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The biggest thing the Texans will have going for them this season is continuity on the offensive line. If Watson can take another step forward, Johnson has a solid comeback season and Fuller stays healthy this offensive can be top 7 easy. A lot of ifs but definitely doable.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It's not Billy Bob's job to find a team to pay Hopkins. That's the lie he's telling now. Billy Bob's job as GM was to net the best return for the Texans. No GM in the NFL would pay $10 million for an injured washed up RB who was a backup. He's either lying, incompetent, or both. Either way it's time for him to go.

Nook, Theking, CallMeTheDream and 5 others like this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

So if the RB is not "washed up", I guess you will admit that you are wrong? I have no clue how Johnson will perform. I guess we will see.

14. raining threes

QB- Hopefully Watson grows and is better, if he doesn't this grade = Not good enough

RB- Worse, if DJ bounces back (Doubtful) better.

WR- Deeper and more dangerous. Cobb + best slot since the teams inception.

OL- Better, more continuity and Howard being back is a big plus.

TE- Same, with a chance to be better since Warring is going to get his shot next yr.

DL- Better. More interior pass rush and depth

Edge- Same but more depth.

CB's Same but possibly better with better health. Reid give them the option to not have to play Hargreaves.

S- Worse, losing Gipson hurt, McClain said they're looking at adding another vet S.

ST's- Better

15. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

If he is washed will you admit you’re wrong and stop defending his moves?

I hope to god we’re all wrong and David bounces back, but regardless I think it was dumb because of how much he costs and that Arizona wanted to get rid of him/would have cut him

but I’m always rooting for the Texans so I hope dj comes out balling and we all forget about the trade because of how well he plays

16. dmoneybangbang

It will all come down to health, and not just the WRs (which is important). We had bad injury luck last year across the O-line, secondary, and to Watt.

In spite of BOB finding ways to hamper this team, I think we are better than last year. We sure as hell haven't come to close to maximizing the team under Watson's rookie contract, but I like the 2020 team. I think the issue is our division and AFC rivals have also gotten better.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

QB is not the same, it should be a lot better and will determine how improved the team will be. OL also has a lot of room for growth. All of that would keep the defense off the field.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What about DJ tells you that he's not washed up?

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I for one actually think he’s gonna have a bounce back season. He was still averaging close to 100 yards from scrimmage a game before injury last year. He’s still one of the best pass catching backs in the league. His injuries have mostly been to his wrists. I’d be way more scared if he was coming off a severe leg injury. Also Texans offensive line is better than the Cardinals.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'll take "What are the four words that will describe this upcoming Texans roster?" for $500, Alex!