1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Y’all are arguing with a foolish Trumper about voting. We all know they don’t understand facts or logic. It’s a losing battle with those idiots.

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Handled in extremely large quantities by the usps? In the most important election we have had for years? No way possible its just as secure and efficient as in person.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It might be less not in any way that is significant. It would, of course, have been even better had Trump not tried to sabotage the process, taking out and/or destroying the sorting machines and things of that nature. But it's still fine. I voted by mail and was notified that my vote has already been processed. It is incredibly efficient here in CA. The only problem were Republicans setting up fake drop boxes and someone that tried to set one on fire.

It is true that those types of risks aren't involved with in person voting. But we also have seen Trump supporters trying to intimidate the voters at in person voting locations so that might be an issue with voting in person that isn't an issue with voting by mail.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Convenience.

I don't understand why voting has to be such a huge ordeal. Whether you vote in person, vote early, vote via mail, vote via a drive-thru, etc. All these methods work, are safe, and besides a few isolated cases of fraud (after all no process is perfect), I think we can rule that voting via mail is perfectly secure.

I understand though, Republicans, they fully understand that they don't serve the people. They pretend to serve the people in order to get votes, but in reality they are serving the elite of the country. The convenience to vote should be an option that's available to everybody in multiple methods. We need to get past this archaic thinking that everything needs to be done in person. In theory, you should be against machine voting as well, after all these systems can be hacked. Do you propose we go back to paper votes only?

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Agreed. The idea that it shouldn't be easy or convenient is a strange argument for people to make. I hadn't seen that argument put forward until recently. Voting should be as easy as possible while maintaining a secure process. Mail in voting is a secure process.

DVauthrin, Genesis, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I like it. How have I never heard it???

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is one of my favorite all-time videos on the internets.

RayRay10, Blatz and FrontRunner like this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if they're gonna pay for it might as well...

RayRay10 and Genesis like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If the County you live in is willing to spend the money to make it easier for individuals to vote, I don't understand why we need to work as hard as possible to prevent it from happening.

Lets use Harris County for example. Previous Republic administration under Judge Emmett only spent $4 million in the 2016 election versus the new Democrat administration spending $33 million. We have 800 polling locations open. We had one day of 24-hour voting in 8 locations. We had 10-drive thrus. The County Clerk even wanted to send out mail in voting applications to inform the public of their options (this ultimately was sued and Texas Supreme Court ruled in favor of Republicans, thus establishing precedence since Texas voting laws did not prohibit this).

Personally, if we get the highest turn out ever, I'd like to say that's money well spent. We as voters should have every convenience available to us that's secure and if we have a large source of revenue, I'd like for our government to spend that money to make our lives easier.

DVauthrin, Kim, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I think we should have to vote online via 2step authentification the same way I can access stuff at work. Either that or in person.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At what time ET do you expect the first reliable results?

Ubiquitin and RayRay10 like this.
  13. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

He seems cool too. I gotta go download some of his stuff now. I'm all about hopefulness today!

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That would be excellent. I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about the complexities of doing online voting and not being quite there yet to prevent hacking and so forth. I do hope someday I am able to vote via my phone.

We need to get these old bastards out of government and infuse our government with young blood looking at these ideas and implementing them.

#6394 ElPigto, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Astrodome, R0ckets03 and RayRay10 like this.
  15. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Looks like GOP is underperforming in Florida

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. AB

AB Contributing Member

CNN is implying Biden team is not confident on Florida

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I would love that. But I think having mail in would also be good. Some populations have less access to reliable internet. Many of those populations that have a work schedule less conducive to time off for voting in person.

I think the nation needs a nationwide broadband program like rural electrification in the past.

DVauthrin, ElPigto and RayRay10 like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I support this. Incentivize companies to build the infrastructure. Imagine the jobs that could be created in something like this. Everyone should have access to fast internet at a reasonable cost.

19. biina

biina Member

Come back when your GOP stops removing polling places and stops making it difficult for people to vote even in-person.

You guys are the enemies of the people and the true reason the second ammendment was needed.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A pretty big portion of them will be Republicans, though. I remember being surprised at how many Mexican American students in Southern CA told me in 2016 they and their family voted for Trump in 2016-- turns out they are either one-issue abortion voters or really hated Clinton.

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.