1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

On the president spending election night in the White House:

I think most are reading that wrong. I think he wants to be there more as a strategic measure. Mostly because of the ability to have rapid secure communications across what they see as the battle lines. In war time it’s designed to be the best place to operate executive directive. Election night for Trump will very much be a battle in a different sense. If you think Brett Kavanaugh and Amy CB won’t be on speed dial I don’t think you’ve been paying attention.

Him being there is a giant red flag that he’s going to use his power to stay in power by any means necessary and will become a dictator if he’s given any sort of chance to become one.

RayRay10 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10, R0ckets03 and dobro1229 like this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Who in the Trump admin would be the King Slayer?? My guess is Bill Barr?? That guy would turn on his own wife if it meant more power and relevancy towards Repugs.

RayRay10 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People would rather skip lines and random dirtbags not respecting others with no masking or smoking in open areas when given the choice.

Mail in ballots have been in use for a long time, and for it now to become "invalid" by some lifer Trump and McConnell just rammed in is riot worthy material.

Too many messages about going out to vote when simple **** ain't working anymore. We have a third rate president taking out established norms we hold dear and crippling our nation into a third world laughingstock in order to keep out and put down Brown people. Not good.

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and dobro1229 like this.
  6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Nate Silver
    @NateSilver538

How the NYT/Siena polls affected our averages:
    AZ: They have Biden +6.Our average goes from +3.2 to +3.4
    FL: They have Biden +3. Our average goes from +1.7 to +1.8.
    PA:They have Biden +6. Our average stays at +4.9.
    WI: They have Biden +11. Our average goes from +8.2 to +8.7.

Nate Silver
    @NateSilver538

·
    8m

What I'm getting at here is ... things look pretty locked in. Not the election outcome itself! That ain't locked in at all! But our final averages may not change much. Especially after adding these polls because they have huge sample sizes and so get a lot of weight in our mode

Jody Avirgan
    @jodyavirgan

·
    14m

This is exactly the right framing. Important to think of polling, and the work that Ariel and 538 and others do, as mapping uncertainty rather than “making predictions” or whatever. Over the next few days, remember to keep asking yourself what we don’t know.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  7. Dubious

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump is either outright lying or suffering from dementia and lapsing back into 2016 in a campaign against Hillary Clinton...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ed-some-criminals-super-predators/6021383002/

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Dubious

I think Little Wayne gave him that impression, you know he doesn't know anything but his personal experience.

Little Wayne liked me when I promised a lot of money, so young blacks must be voting for me.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Carl Herrera

11. NewRoxFan

A non-expert troll heads up trump's COVID-19 response and sits down for an interview with a russian disinformation source that has been designated an agent of the kremlim. The worlds preeminent expert of COVID-19 criticizes trump's handling... and trump and his admin call Fauci a part of "the swamp."

12. NewRoxFan

13. Carl Herrera

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I fully understand that Democrats want to show that they are taking COVID-19 seriously but I still think it was a strategic mistake to both push so much mail-in voting knowing that it would be challenged so much in court. It was also a mistake to limit Biden's public appearances.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

looking back on the campaigns I dont see either having done much to sway one way or the other.

trump lost this over the virus if he loses

jiggyfly, No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, one campaign, according to a careful statistical analysis, carelessly sickened 30,000 people and killed 700 die-hard (oops) followers via in-person, largely maskless rallies.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

At this point and really for the last week this is all about get out the vote. It's past the time to win over the sliver of votes that can be swayed.

I will repeat again the Democrats need to run up the score!

We can complain about the unfairness of the Electoral College, Gerrymandering, courts favoring Republicans and other structural disadvantages but none of that is going to change in the next couple of days. What is waiting out there too is what things might happen during counting and certification. To over come those disadvantages Democrats can't count on just winning in swing states narrowly. Very likely any margin within 1 or 2% will be subject to recount, recanvas and all sorts of challenges. There still is also electoral WMD of Republican state legislatures deciding they can't certify their elections and just picking their own slate of electors.

All of that can be avoided if it is very obvious that the election is a resounding victory.

Also it's not just the Presidency that is at stake but the Senate and several state houses in a Census year. All of these discussions about packing the courts, ending gerrymandering and etc.. are hypothetical unless those change too.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think it's a given that Trump voters will swamp Biden voters in PA and other states on Nov. 3rd. This is really a race to see if Biden has banked enough early votes and enough mail in votes get counted to counter the advantage Trump will have on election day.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think IA is out of reach now. I'm still skeptical that TX, GA and OH can be flipped. I also think Trump will hold on in FL. Most of the latest news and polling shows that Trump has momentum and Biden appears to be underperforming in Miami-Dade.

RayRay10 likes this.