1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2020.

?

Lakers vs. Heat

Poll closed Sep 30, 2020.
  1. Lakers in 4

4.6%
  2. Lakers in 5

12.3%
  3. Lakers in 6

40.0%
  4. Lakers in 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Heat in 7

21.5%
  6. Heat in 6

15.4%
  7. Heat in 5

3.1%
  8. Heat in 4

3.1%
  1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

My interpretation skills are great. If you have no issue with what Jordan or Kobe did in that exact same situation then you should have no issue with what LeBron did. My IQ is advanced enough to spot clear hypocrisy.

Cheers.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why does everyone think Jordan played in a tougher more physical league? I get pistons were tough but If you go back and watch some highlights just as many touch fouls were called. And the real difference is what is a called a flagrant. Not like he even beat the pistons at their peak, or lakers, or Celtics. Which are pretty on par with some of the stacked teams Lebron has lost to in the finals.

League back then was a joke with soo many big stuffs playing. No athleticism. While I believe they had great stars. The drop off between player 25-100 and now is significant. It’s harder to win in today’s NBA especially with the 3 ball.

Jordan won His championships in arguably the weakest ERA of basketball. Expansion drafts decimated the league. The second best player in his conference was on his team. Other teams barely had one star max. Every team nowadays that wins had at least 2 to 3 stars if not more.

A good example is someone like Reggie Miller. He was best player on that pacers team. A good comparison for him is Ray Allen. Lebron played and beat a team where Ray Allen was the 3rd or 4th best player depending on how you rate Rondo. KG and Pierce were definitely better.

Another good comparison would be Klay who once again was the third best player on his team.

Do you think it’s harder to score on a 6’8” guy with a 7’ wingspan that can jump out of the gym. Or a 6’3” guy who’s allowed to hand check.

#742 RHU525, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    hakeem94, roslolian and Rocket River like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

To summarize, Jordan won when the league was more balanced vs today's league of superstars teaming up to build super teams.

The era of LeBron has been a joke.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

damn, in your 18th season on clutchfans, you're showing lebron-like longevity in still bringing the feistiness. i don't agree with most of your take, but it's fun to see. and i'm guessing the disrespect is mostly GOAT conversation stuff (3 and 6, 3 and 6!), because you're right, he clearly gets extremely good treatment in general from the media and most fans.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. francis 4 prez

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. francis 4 prez

outside of the pistons, who were dirtier than basically any team ever, it couldn't have been that physical. jordan's 1st 9 years were the most efficient 9 year stretch ever. drexler got through that era. mitch richmond survived. reggie miller wasn't killed. john stockton played and almost never missed a game. if it was as bad as everyone makes it out to be and jordan was the only guy playing a long career as a perimeter guy, i might buy the toughness thing, but plenty of guys had perfectly good/healthy careers and won plenty of games in that era.

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

9. francis 4 prez

warriors have the #2 pick to trade and i think dallas has cap room. seem like good choices.

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the question becomes how many will the Lakers win. I am thinking they go back-to-back-to-back.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shannon just brought out a live goat. Wow :D

#751 J.R., Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    pippendagimp and RocketRed84 like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

There are just more stars now to team up with and you need to team up to beat the other super teams. Jordan had the best player in the East on his team and you tell me he didn't team up? Scottie Pippen is a top 5 player in the Jordan's ERA and he played with Jordan every season they won a ring.

If Lebron had that luxury he'd have at least 8 rings.

roslolian likes this.
  13. Brown Juice

Brown Juice Member

A lot of jealous and salty nephews in here.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. JumpMan

Pippen the 2nd best player in the East? Hmm... I guess it would depend on which seasons you're talking about. During the first three-peat, was Pippen better than Ewing or Dominique? How much better was he than Reggie, Dumars, or Rodman? Remember that Pippen was a player who improved year by year. By no means was he the player in that first three-peat that he became in the mid-90s. And during the second three-peat? Well, SHAQ! Jordan and Shaq would have wrecked the league. Then, Penny and Grant Hill were having Hall of Fame starts to their careers. This does show that the East had great teams, but not that many great players.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

It was balanced except for Jordan's Bulls who had 3 all stars and cadre of amazing role players.

Yung-T and hakeem94 like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

And a lot of old timers using nostalgia to pretend 40 yrs of advancement and technology didn't happen.

Can the US army 40 years ago beat the US army today? You think a random boxer 40 yrs ago can beat an average boxer today? Which sport had better records 40 yrs ago than today?

But, but, but somehow NBA peaked during the 80s and players got worse afterwards. Never mind we have 7 ft "small forwards" nowadays players in the 80s were the supreme NBA players cuz players today who spend all their time working on physical fitness with modern machines, training and supplements couldn't take a blow from 80s muscle power.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

The other dude said top 5 best player.

I think you meant the opposite, East had some great players but had little to no great teams. Ewing and Nique didn't have a 2nd all star IIRC, pretty much everyone had garbage teams that's part of the reason Jordan's Bulls walked all over everyone else. Which team in the East had 2 all time great apart from Bad Boy Pistons who were already pretty old when Pippen and Jordan got together?

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

hes not funny though

19. adoo

adoo Member

while LeBron carried all his teams on his shoulders to 7 NBA Finals, winning some losing some. Horry was a smart / skillful / versatile / valuable contributor off the bench for 7 championship teams.

i think the Hall of Fame should include a category for role players / non-starters; should it become a reality, Horry would be the first to be inducted under that category

20. JumpMan

He said Pippen was second-best in the East and top 5 overall.

I don't think he was second-best in the East. During the first three-peat, he was still a bit green. During the second three-peat, Shaq along with others at least on similar levels. Pippen was the best SF for many of those championship years, though. But when compared with the rest of the NBA? There were many players better. I get his point that Pippen was a great player and a perfect compliment, but I just don't agree that he was the second-best in the East and top-five overall.

I don't remember an All-Star teammate Ewing played with. He played with a lot of good players, though. Kinda sad. Don't know much about Dominique's teammates, but he never made playoff noise, so. The Bull's first three-peat East rivals were the Cavs and Knicks. Cavs had a couple of All-Stars and the Knicks had Ewing, a bunch of good players, and Riley. The Knicks took them to 7. The second Bull's three-peat team had the Knicks, Hawks, Heat, Pacers, and Magic challenging the Bulls. Stronger East, maybe, but only the Pacers took them 7.