1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Car Shopping Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 29, 2020.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Halfway through the year and this thread hasn't been created yet. Strange!

Anyway -- continuing my thoughts from the 2019 thread, I'm going to be in the market for an SUV soon. Depending on how things shake out I may entertain leasing one of these vehicles (esp the ones with poor reliability or residual value), but I'm most likely going to buy used because DC's laws are so punitive toward leasees.

I've been looking at the following vehicles:

2018-19 VW Atlas
    2016-18 Volvo XC90
    2016-17 Infiniti QX60
    2016-18 Honda Pilot

From what I can gather these are the pros and cons of each, but I'd love to hear people's take on it.

Atlas
    ++ Utility (handles the problem of child seats + extra passengers better than any car on the market)
    ++ Cargo room
    ++ Extended transferable warranty (6 yrs 72k miles)
    -- Fuel economy (lowest of the bunch, approximately 13% worse)
    -- Reliability (first run of a new model so that's always a risk)
    -- Depreciation (edmunds TCO rates this worst of the 4 by a significant margin)

XC90
    ++ Comfort (best ride by far and the seats are amazing especially for a taller driver like me)
    ++ Safety (it's a Volvo so of course)
    ++ Tech (pilot assist makes stop-and-go traffic way less bothersome)
    -- Maintenance cost (seems like any type of non-routine problems will cost a fortune to fix)

QX60
    ++ Utility (not as good as the Atlas but does offer a big third row and better access to it w/ child seats)
    ++ Comfort (not as comfortable as the XC90 but definitely cushy driving dynamics and seating)
    ++ Cost (definitely the cheapest of the bunch)
    -- Performance (on the slow side given how much smaller it is than the Atlas)
    -- Reliability (I've heard bad things about Nissan/Infiniti in general and especially about their CVTs)

Pilot
    ++ Reliability & Upkeep cost (best of the 4)
    ++ Depreciation (maintains value best)
    ++ Performance (lighter vehicle & 9 speed trans)
    -- Utility (the 3rd row is practically useless in this vehicle and there's no option for a bench seat)

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Theres some amazing deals for new vehicles atm if you want to go that route- 0% for 72 months and no payment for like 5.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If you are interested in those vehicles I'd recommend at least taking a look at the Toyota Highlander or Sequoia. Otherwise stay the **** away from VW, and out of those 4 I would definitely recommend the Honda Pilot.

TMac'n likes this.
  4. marky :)

marky :) Member

I was in the same boat as you last year looking for a 3 row SUV. Ended up with the Subaru Ascent.

Test drove the Highlander, Pilot, and Ascent.

Highlander
    - 3rd row seats were useless to me.
    - Didn't feel as spacious as the other 2 I test drove and with a car seat it would feel even smaller.
    - The V6 option felt like the best engine out of the Pilot/Ascent options.

Pilot
    - The 3rd row had more head room vs the Ascent(I'm 5'10).
    - Did not like the button shifter instead of the standard lever.
    - The interior was underwhelming to me and I felt like I was back in 2005, especially the seats.
    - The drive was a lot better than I expected. Very smooth and the V6 engine was good.
    - In the 7 passenger model, did not like that little storage tray/cup holder thing in the pathway. I can see future kids or me just stepping on that non stop.
    - Over all I just wasn't excited about it. I wasn't excited driving it and wasn't a huge fan of the styling.

Ascent
    - Maybe unfair to the Pilot since I test drove that first but when I immediately opened the door to the Ascent, I liked the interior far better.
    - Didn't think I'd like the boxer 4 in a family SUV but it does it's job and has good pickup.
    - I easily fit in the 3rd row behind my daughter in her rear facing car seat.
    - CVT is a little clunky to me but didn't bother me.
    - Like the style/feeling of the steering wheel but I feel like its a tad too small.
    - A little disappointed the LED headlights + fog lights were only on the touring/limited.
    - I had a 2011 wrx and the Ascent made me feel like I was just in a very big WRX. Of course not as fun/fast as the wrx but I was excited driving it and it felt fun even though its a 3 row SUV. It felt very Subaru.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Look at Carvana for a used vehicle, I bought my last car on there and would do it again.

Prices are very competitive and usually 1 to 2000 less than dealers.

Most of the inventory are previous lease vehicles.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I failed to mention my biggest feature concerns with the cars:

1) Adaptive Cruise or some type of auto pilot is a must and it needs to work very well. I hate driving and I hate driving in traffic which is abundant in the DC area and all along the eastern seaboard where I travel. I have tested the system in the Pilot, Atlas, and QX60 and they all work well.

2) Child seat utility and room. I have a growing family and so I need a lot of space for kids and possibly other adults. The ability to get into a comfortable 3rd row while keeping a child seat locked in place is a huge win.

3) Ventilated seats are a must

4) Price under 30K

I'm not going to be pulling the trigger until Spring/Summer of 2021 so if deals are that good by then I may go that route. Doubt they will be though as the pandemic fades.

I haven't written the Ascent off completely but it isn't on my radar simply because of how new it is. When I go shopping in the Spring of 2021, I may find some used models but they will be very few and far between. Overall I'm not keen on it because of the lack of child seat accommodation + 3rd row access, which is another reason I'm leaning away from the Pilot hard as well.

I test drove a Highlander and didn't like it at all. It was too small for me (that 3rd row is a joke), but the real killer was the fact that the auto cruise control didn't bring the vehicle to a stop or have low-speed follow. The ACC only worked on the highway and would stop functioning below like 40mph, which means traffic jams would drive me crazy. I drive a Honda right now and their active safety suite is great and has really spoiled me and it is one of the main reasons I'm still considering the Pilot at all.

Sequoia is too pricey and the Highlander is a no go for reasons above. Everyone craps on VW reliability but it the data is a lot more noisy than people make it out to be. The Atlas is probably my 2nd choice right now because it really nails the "life and living" aspect better than all the cars, which is really what this is all about. Truth be told, this wouldn't even be a discussion for me if the Pilot had a worthwhile 3rd row.

I've used Carvana. One car worked great and I saved a bundle. They have a big sale every black friday, so I got an extra 1000 off, but the rest of the year their prices are middling. The other car I got from them was bad and I returned it free of charge. They're not great for reselling your vehicle to unfortunately, that honor belongs to Vroom.com.

#6 DonnyMost, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Volvo

but the Atlas is awesome. the "fuel economy problem" is overstated because it has a big vr6 instead of the turbo 4 ( on the competition) that does well in EPA tests but not in real world driving. Comes well equipped even on the lower models, tons of space. Great price on lightly used ones. Not many of them out there and looks better IMO than the XC90 even though that would be my choice due to safety.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I have a Kia Telluride. It’s fantastic and seems to fit all your criteria. Not sure if you can find a used one at a solid price though.

9. toby

toby Member

We have an Atlas - absolutely love it. Didn't test drive the other cars you mentioned, but the Atlas runs quite a nice preschool carpool with 4 five point harness seats. We didn't get the captains seats in the middle - which might be nice. It's a big vehicle, but has some get up and go. I'm still not sure about all these 10 speeds for gas milage purposes, but it seems to do well. It isn't as "tight" as other VW's we've had but we'd buy it again at this point.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The telluride, palisade, and ascent are all in my "we'll see" bucket because I doubt i will be able to find one used in the spring of 2021. Really love the telly from what I've seen.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Have you looked at the new mid engine Vette? That or the Pilot would be my recommendations.

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Just bought a 2018 Mazda Cx-9 Grand Touring. Drives much more like a car than the HIghlander or Santa Fe. My coworker had some issues with his Pilot's fuel injector and I just didn't like the interior as much as the Mazda. I sued cargurus pretty heavily but Autotrader found some that cargurus didn't. Also Craigslist- but you have to weed out a lot of suspicious offerings.

It has the adaptive cruise, but 3rd row is a little tight. I loved our 2001 Sienna for family use and would not hesitate to buy another one if I needed it. Extremely versatile in seating configuration.

I saw a car advertised on ebay from my area that I was interested in, then also saw it in Craiglist. I contacted the owner through Craigslist to ask him about the difference in price in his ebay listing and he said "what ebay listing?". Someone scammed his info off Craigslist and posted it on ebay, so be careful.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im considering a 2019 Passport later this year. I dont care to have a 3rd row. As this is pretty much the Pilot w/out a 3rd row, it hasnt been selling all that hot. I see the top trims with serious depreciation.

DonnyMost likes this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I love Mazda in general but yeah the car is simply too small. Wouldn't turn down an amazing offer on one but definitely not actively looking.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Oddly enough the second best of the class is IMO the Telluride. Kia has come a long way, but you are looking at $30,000 - $45,000 for a used model. That is a lot for a Kia but it is a really well made car.

If you are not buying until 2021, I would watch the market on Lincoln Aviators. This car is the best in the class. It is more expensive, but you may get a good deal on a used model by 2021. It really is an exceptional car and Lincoln has quietly greatly improved.

CCity Zero and Bandwagoner like this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I really do like the refreshed Lincolns but I think it will be near impossible to find a used one by next year. I'm going to be very hard pressed to find a Telluride even as they won't be coming off 3 year leases en masse until 2022.

Nook likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I would also suggest the Kia Telluride, or, the one we may look at next, the Hyundai Palisade. Amazingly nice looking SUV and you get a lot for the money.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

While they're a good value prop, the cars themselves are in high demand and supply is low, so you're not going to sniff any discounts. Hell, before the pandemic they were selling above MSRP. It may look different in a year's time, but to give you an idea of the market, looking in my area (100 mile radius) there's only 1 used Telly/Palisade available and they're both over 40K (highest price of any vehicle I have searched so far... trying to stay in the 20K-30K zone). We're not going to see a healthy used market for those vehicles until 2022 at the earliest, and even then the used inventory will be a hot commodity, so those two are really not in my wheelhouse.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes my telluride is great. No complaints.

when I was looking last summer it was very hard to find one and there was little to no negotiation to be had. I was able to negotiate down but only after a ridiculously high starting point. I ended up getting close to sticker by leasing - I can always buy it out at the end. Unclear where the car market will be then but considering how little mileage I’ve put on it the last few months it’ll be in great condition and theoretically worth more than the buyout price.

Conversely I also looked at a Palisade. Aesthetically I didn’t care for it quite as much both exterior and interior. If not for the Telluride though it would have been fine and perhaps I would have gotten it. But because the Telluride was so popular and many folks like me were happy to pay a little more or wait for more Tellurides to come in, they were MUCH more flexible on price. It certainly drove as well as the Telluride if not slightly better (hard to compare I just test drive it once).

if I was the OP I would at least try and see what the best online deal after email negotiations and the like I could get for a new or used palisade.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I will absolutely kick the tires at Kia/Hyundai when the time comes, but they will have to blow me out of the water with their offers. I am really not wanting to go the new car route right now, but depending on which way the wind is blowing it can make financial sense.