1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2020 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 15, 2019.

1. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I seriously believe that the Astros should consider moving Whitley for a great youngster thats ready

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

He's had too many red flags IMO. No longer getting peak value for him, but I'd like to salvage something. All the injuries and such are a big yikes to me. Ideally this would have been his second year in the bigs. I mean, the jury is still out but I've lost optimism.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs added signing bonus amounts for all the prospects on their Board. I love it since I consider signing bonus to be by far the most objective predictor of success for prospects. Here are how many prospects each AL West team has that received $1M+:

Angels: 12
    A’s: 15
    Astros: 8
    Mariners: 11
    Rangers: 19

Note that only includes the prospects ranked by Fangraphs. For instance there are several other big bonus Astros prospects not included there (MiguelAngel Sierra, Anibal Sierra, JJ Matijevic, Joe Perez, Elian Rodriguez) because they are not ranked. But I think it’s a very good non-subjective indicator of a farm system’s top end talent level. Obviously Houston is in really bad shape from that perspective.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects...-list/summary?sort=18,1&team=oak&pos=&filter=

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Second to last. Brutal, but not at all surprising. With Whitley’s stock dropping precipitously, and no minor league season to allow younger prospects to breakout, it is very easy to see why these rankings would have Houston near the very bottom.

Looking for silver linings, this season is giving the upper level pitching depth opportunities they never would have gotten otherwise, and it looks likely that several of them will pan out. Guys like Javier, Bielak, Taylor, Paredes, and Scrubb were not highly thought-of at all, or if they were, it wasn’t until they were either already breaking in or at least in the upper levels, and that kind of pitching depth exists in the system from top to bottom. The position player side of things is bleaker, but the 2nd and 3rd tier depth is still decent. I still contend this farm is 2-3 good position player prospects away from being above average.

Astrodome and raining threes like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have a hard time believing a team with 5 prospects that have looked like Major League Players is the 29th best farm. I don't expect all the rookies that are producing to continue producing, but I expect at least two will.

Scrubb becomes very interesting if the MLB adopts an electronic strike zone. The high curve ball with a ton of downward movement is rarely called a strike. Also, curveballs that cross bottom of zone, but hit dirt are also rarely called strikes. He's already lost 2-3 Ks that became BBs because umps aren't giving his curve the top and bottom parts of the zone.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Good read on the Athletic about how Astros minor leaguers are getting their work in that aren't in CC.
    https://theathletic.com/1963880/202...dstones-astros-player-development-2020-style/

Some days Barefoot will attach a Blast Motion sensor to the knob of his bat. It’ll automatically upload information about his swing to the team. Based on video and data, the Astros believe Barefoot has made what appear to be significant improvements in 2020. In his first short season of pro ball last year, the Campbell University product struggled mightily to adapt to the dramatic swing change the team suggested. But now he’s hitting the ball a lot harder, and he feels like he’s built his swing to a point where he could play in games and focus on competing rather than on his mechanics.

Brown, a 2019 draftee who has already become one of the Astros’ better pitching prospects, has a good friend he trains with back home in Michigan who has his own Rapsodo. When Brown was throwing live batting practice to other local pro players at a high school field in June, his buddy sat in the dugout with the machine. “Feeling pretty good today, Hunter?,” his friend quipped at one point. Brown didn’t think much of it. After he was done throwing, he learned that he hit 100 mph for the first time in his life. It was 100.6 mph, to be exact.
    In [Colin] McKee’s case, that means a weighted ball program he mapped out with Murphy, the Astros minor league pitching coordinator, with the goal of increasing his velocity.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree. There’s no longer really an argument that Houston has a “good” farm, because the bulk of value comes from the top prospects, which Houston just flat doesn’t have. But there certainly is an argument that Houston should be ranked in the 15-20 range due to their pitching depth.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s great. There’s a potential silver lining for prospects having essentially an entire year to focus solely on change rather than performance. Guys can build their bodies, work on mechanical changes, get reps at different positions, etc without having to worry about how it’s affecting their numbers or promotion schedule.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. The truth is that it is very difficult to evaluate a farm system, not to mention evaluating 30 farm systems and then provide a numerical ranking. It is done because that is what the public wants but it is so difficult to do....... for example, it is possible Whitley and Javier and someone like Scrubb or Taylor emerge as long term parts of the Astros team and IF that happens, in hindsight the Astros really had a top 3-4 system. It is also possible that none of them really do anything and perhaps we have a terrible system in hindsight.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it would take more for the Astros to be a Top 3-4 system currently. Though, bottom ranked farm systems are usually lucky to produce 1 average MLB player in value.

raining threes, Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe, but get two long term starting pitchers in the middle of the rotation and a couple long term relievers is a pretty big haul when looking at things long term... especially when you weigh against what the Astros needs are..... but then that all goes back to how subjective rankings really are.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Def the real way to evaluate is only in hindsight. A good farm produces 2 long term meaningful contributors and a few complementary players each year, and certainly the Astros’ farm is on pace to do that with Javier and Taylor looking like long term pieces and 8 other prospects having debuted so far.

For comparisons sake, here is the farm production history since 2011 (including veterans acquired via trading prospects away):

2011:
    Core pieces: Altuve
    Others: JD Martinez, Lyles, Shuck

2012:
    Core: Keuchel, Marwin
    Others: Barnes, Dominguez, Maxwell*

2013:
    Core: NONE
    Others: Stassi, Cosart, Oberholtzer, Cisnero, Chapman, De Leon, Grossman, Lo, Clemens, Villar, Krause

2014:
    Core: Springer, Marisnick*
    Others: Fowler*, Tropeano, Foltynewicz, Owens, Buchanan, E Hernandez, Fisher, Santana, Hoes, Singleton

2015:
    Core: Correa, McCullers
    Others: Gattis*,Fiers*, Feliz, Velasquez, Wojo, Kazmir*, Conger*, Duffy, Gomez*, P Tucker

2016:
    Core: Bregman, Giles*, Devenski
    Others: Musgrove, White, Hoyt, Paulino, Gustave, Rodgers, Kemp, T Hernandez, Moran, Reed

2017:
    Core: Verlander*, McCann*
    Others: Martes, C Perez, Jankowski, Guduan, Davis, Liriano*

2018:
    Core: Cole*, Pressly*, Tucker?
    Others: James, Framber, Straw, Deetz

2019:
    Core: Alvarez, Greinke*, Diaz*, Urquidy?
    Others: Armenteros, Abreu, Sanchez*, Martin, Sneed, Toro, Stubbs, Mayfield

2020:
    Core: Javier, Taylor
    Others: Bielak, Paredes, Scrubb, Castellanos, Sanabria, Bailey, N Rodriguez, Jones

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLB wants to run the minor leagues, with 120 teams total. I don’t have a BA sub and couldn’t read the article, so I don’t know if that would include the complex league (GCL, AZL, DSL) teams. Regardless, massive changes seem to be imminent.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure DSL and Tricky League not included. For GCL and AZL, I would guess these leagues would cease to exist as leagues, and be replaced by informal scrimage games and intasquad development.

#355 Joe Joe, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. HTown2017Champs

Alex McKenna and Colin Barber are participating in the Chicago-based City of Champions Cup (CCC) league. Their stats so far:

McKenna: .289 .393 .474 .867; 5 2B, 3 HR, 8/11 SB, 11 RBI 8 BB 23 K

Barber: .177 .329 .323 .652; 3 HR, 2/4 SB, 9 RBI, 13 BB 24 K

It's clearly a big-time pitchers' league. Both have also been reported to have made great catches on defense too. For reference, league-wide, the quadruple slash is .229 .334 .345 .680

No Worries and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Anybody with a BA sub want to let us know what they posted about the 2021 draft?

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

With fewer roster spots for draftees, clubs would be able to customize their approach to the draft and early pro development. Many clubs have told the league they prefer a customizable, gradual onboarding to professional baseball careers, preferring an all-encompassing orientation leading into fall instructional league and more simulated game-type environments.

Assuming the minor leagues can operate as they did before the coronavirus pandemic, there will not be short-season leagues operating outside of the "complex leagues" level in 2021, or those based at spring training facilities and team complexes in the Dominican Republic.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29782890/2021-mlb-draft-move-july-held-atlanta-all-star-events

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

The frustrating part about the farm system thinning out is that the only way to restock it would be by trading high-end ML talent. Thanks to the international signing period being postponed and losing first 2 draft picks in this year and next year's draft (as the team chosen to fall on the sword for sign stealing); the Stros future is ****ed unless Crane spends like the Yankees to keep the core for the next 3-5 years.

Sure would be nice to have Luhnow and Hinch right now, though I do think Click was right to stand pat at the deadline.

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I posted this in the other thread, but Crane could set the Astros up for the future by spending some money this offseason. Teams will be looking to offload payroll and likely be willing to include prospects to shed bad contracts. Maybe add Miguel Cabrera to play 1B (adding 3 of Detroit’s top prospects and the Tigers still picking up some money), Lorenzo Cain to play CF (adding 1 of Milwaukee’s top prospects) and Jason Heyward to play LF (adding 2 of Chicago’s prospects). That leaves them with a stacked lineup for 2021 and a farm system that would be well above average.

IowaAstro and AznH-TownFan like this.