1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020/21 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Sep 11, 2020.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Arab war coming through for the semi-finals. PSG vs Man City. Qatar vs UAE. Should be fun on the pitch but would be hilarious if there was a war of words off it (I assume the UAE Sheikh and Qatar Emir won't be saying anything but if Al-Mubarak and Al-Khelaifi get into it that would be funny).
    PSG on their revenge tour need this more. I think City should consider it an achievement just getting to the semi-finals after this past decade of trying and failing to do so.

2. ferrari77

Bayern fans, what's up with this Hansi vs Salihamidzic rift? Apparently it's also connected to Rummenigge vs Hoeness? And Oliver Kahn is taking over as CEO next season. And Hansi might be getting the Germany job? What's going on over there?

3. Raz

Raz Member

Flick wants to be more involved in the squad composition. Last year he asked for a decent right back, named two quality players, but Salihamidzic ignored him and signed that alibi recruitment Odriozola. In summer he lost Thiago, Perisic and Coutinho, begged for new players while management went cheap and added Sarr, Roca, Costa and Choupo-Moting, who are pretty much useless. Because Salihamidzic is a clueless moron, the team lacks depth and hence fell to the cheating sheiks, so it's perfectly understandable that Flick shows signs of frustration and possibly considers Löw's job. If I had to choose, I'd pick Flick over Salihamidzic in a heartbeat.
    By the way, no rift between Rummenigge and Hoeneß. They're partners in crime. Uli is already retired and Kalle will follow come January, this has been the plan for years.

ferrari77 likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't think that narrative is true.

From all info we know, Salihamidzic and the scouting team had okay targets for RB (Aarons, Dest, Lamptey) and CM (Camavinga, Neuhaus), but didn't get the budget from bosses and had to go for cheap solutions.

#345 Yung-T, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    ferrari77 likes this.
  6. Raz

Raz Member

It's his job to set together the squad and from what we see right now he completely failed (still spend millions to sign Sarr and Roca). Since Salihamidzic apparentely refused to involve Flick, he should be the one leaving.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's stated that Flick was the one that told the board to sign Sarr.
    Roca looked alright but barely got any chances, the team also told bosses to bring back Costa.

Overall, with the signings of Süle, Goretzka, Hernandez, Upamecano, Nianzou, Musiala, Davies, Gnabry, Choupo and Sane, plus a lot of very good players for our youth teams, Brazzo has done very well imo.

He also extended the contracts of many important players, except for Thiago (Alaba has been trash since last season's cl tourney, won't miss him).

9. Raz

Raz Member

I've read the exact opposite, where did you get that from?

Not willing to give him any credit for most of the players. Some of them could've gone anywhere, for Hernandez he spend too much, and they didn't join because of him. Choupo is not good enough for Bayern btw, just an alibi signing.

Other than that, several players and coaches seem to be displeased with Salihamidzics leadership. To tell Boateng he won't get a new contract on the very day of the Paris match in front of everybody is just unacceptable and shows his lack of aptitude for this job.
    Our very successful head coach publicly stated that he wants out. Makes our club look real bad - and this in mainly on Salihamidzic.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Okay wow, Super League is coming and UEFA is going to war.

At least Bayern isn't in it, but this will change football for the worse.

ryan_98 and malakas like this.
  11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is a massive mistake on the part of these clubs. Aside from the damage they’ll do to the leagues they’d be abandoning, no one wants to see the same 12 clubs play each other over and over. Being banned from other competitions and their players from national teams, I can’t see why players would want to stay in this. It’ll become the Chinese Super League in a matter of a couple years...overpaying to maintain stars until it becomes a terrible failure. I predict it wouldn’t last more than 5 years at the most before they all come crawling back to their domestic leagues...at the lowest levels having to work their way back up.

I see absolutely no pros and only cons.

malakas, Yung-T and mtbrays like this.
  12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

13. Aware

Aware Member

football is already very much a game of the haves and the have nots but this is pretty ballsy by these clubs.

I'm somewhat indifferent since i dont really have a rooting interest in any euro club but its somewhat funny seeing these historic clubs embrace an american sports model when all ive ever heard is how micky mouse the mls is lol. congrats you are now not all that different. i wonder if they will set up a draft lmao.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Okay it seems Bayern is joining and this will expand to 20 teams? Ffs.
    Edit: Or not? Conflicting reports.

15. Raz

Raz Member

****'s getting serious...

#355 Raz, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    ryan_98 and malakas like this.
  16. Aware

Aware Member

fifa/uefa is ****ed. those clubs run club football.
    they better hope they can find a compromise ($$$$) cause thats ball game right there.

17. malakas

malakas Member

I don't like football much but this is a fcking disgrace!

We can't allow the americans and J.P Morgan to take over and franchise our clubs.
    Today is this tomorrow is moving out the club to a "more lucrative market'.

Clubs belong to fans, fans aren't just consumers.

I may not like football but I don't hate it and only someone who trully hates football would think and do something like that.

Fck them all.
    Boycott all games, cancel the season tickets, the organised fans(hooligans) start the protests and riots.

Ban them from the domestic league, take away their titles and ban all the players from the Euro and WC.

Respect to Bayern, Borrusia and PSG for saying no to this treason.

18. malakas

malakas Member

As for Liverpool and Man U can they be more of a joke? People's clubs my a$$
    The fans themselves if they have any dignity left should just go and burn down the clubs' office and training centre.

19. ferrari77

Where you see no pros, the "billionaire" owners see them hence the move. They win either way. They breakaway and form a league with essentially no relegation, no middle man to funnel Champions League money to other countries and teams less worthy of the money(in their minds) OR they get UEFA to agree to even more of their demands in order to prevent them from breaking away. Negotiating tactic that they feel will work for them one way or another.

A small fix for what you wrote. No one who has been following footy for longer than the past 20 years wants to see these same 12 clubs(or 15 or 20 or whatever) play each other over and over and then play an American style playoff. BUT, those new fans from different parts of the world will have no problem watching them play over and over. Those fans dont care.
    Also, some players won't mind- those are the players who don't care about international duty AND see the money and bigger paychecks to come from the Super League. (Unless the salary cap hinders bigger wages than they are currently on).

You might be finding it funny because you may be unaware how much American "billionaire" owners have sunk their thieving, meddling hands into European football over the past 20 years. Starting with the F$%K!NG Glazer family. Then you got Stan Kroenke and add in John Henry. (At least Henry saved Liverpool post Gillette/Hicks). Then you have one of the masterminds who always has the money on his mind and has been looking for ways to get out of La Liga or stop other La Liga clubs from getting increased payouts from the revenue Madrid and Barca bring to La Liga. Then you have Barca and their debt. This is why MLS will never have Promotion/Relegation (and should have implemented it from day one). The owners don't want to chance relegation, they want more money, they want more control.

20. ferrari77

You spoke too soon.