1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020-21 Chris Paul on Phoenix Suns thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Clutch, Jan 2, 2021.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Real quick, I think Chris Paul highly values his future with the NBA and beyond and LeBron has the power to affect both, so Chris Paul then has to highly value his relationship with LeBron. That's more conjecture than evidence, I know, but it's not like I have access to the type of evidence needed to substantiate those types of claims. I know I could be wrong and Paul is just that injury prone, oh well.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

This doesn't make sense to me. CP3 is highly competitive, and I'm sure he's aware of his ring-less legacy. I don't see him laying down so Lebron can win his 5th ring.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. JumpMan

I accept that the alternate explanation that Chris Paul is cursed and just that injury prone is a lot more likely. I also need more evidence to believe that getting bumped during a game breaks him. I don't want to see him rolling around the floor holding his shoulder during a crucial point of these next couple of games. I don't want to see the Suns invest 9 figures on him at his advanced age and after all of these important breakdowns.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden and 70% of Clutchfans were very very dumb

Nick_713, DreamShook and YOLO like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So it's just based on 1. the fact that he's friends with LeBron and 2. he's friends with LeBron? I mean..if that's all you're using to base this assertion that CP3 "lays down" for LeBron I don't know if that's enough to keep perpetuating/posting it as if it's factual.

If Paul has proven anything in his college/NBA career it's that he's hyper competitive. When you get to the NBA and you've been regarded as one of the greatest players ever and the last thing missing from your NBA resume is an NBA championship (and your close friend has a few of them already) I don't think you'd be willing to let him beat you and your team. Paul got to be where he is in the NBA (e.g. union president since 2013) not because of his relationship with LeBron. He's not JR Smith or Jared Dudley.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

No you don't. The fact that it happened is all the evidence you need.

Think of the alternative....not only that CP3 is willing to sacrifice his legacy, but that he also believes the Lakers can win the title this year. You really think that's more plausible than CP3 being legitimately hurt?

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

CP3 was definitely playing chess while others were playing checkers when he laid down for LeBron by faking his hamstring injury in WCF so that LeBron can beat a better (on paper) opponent in the Warriors. What a bro.

hakeem94, B-Bob and wekko368 like this.
  8. JumpMan

I have never presented anything as factual. I have admitted biases and distrust of the NBA and belief that the NBA pushes narratives and scripts and all of that stuff.

Who takes the speculative posts of a random user of ClutchFans seriously anyway?

We would be making a huge assumption that his choices are win an NBA championship or lose in the 1st round. But let's say that the Suns could go on to win a championship if they beat the Lakers. Chris Paul could still value his future with the NBA and beyond higher than a championship.

Not all players value an NBA championship as much as fans and the media do. In fact, MOST value money over championships. Who could blame them? A championship ring won't feed their great-grandchildren. Not stating any of that as factual, by the way, more speculation.

How do you know it is a fact? Because he grabbed his shoulder and grimmaced? Dude's an actor, literally an actor. And again, the theory that he is just cursed and injury prone is a lot more likely than mine that he is faking injury to maintain his relationship with LeBron. I don't 100% believe either.

Chris Paul's legacy is set. He doesn't even have to play another game to be ranked amongst the top-five or so point guards of all time. People call him the point-god, don't you know that? That's his legacy whether he wins a championship or not. That's the reason why nobody is discussing whether or not a loss in the first round would affect his legacy at all.

It's tough to believe the Lakers can win this year, that's true, but it's tougher to believe that the Suns would win.

You know what? The NBA wanted the Warriors and Cavs to meet in the Finals and they definitely didn't want Harden to win one over LeBron. So, Paul could have faked that injury, too. :p

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Leading the Suns to a championship would certainly elevate his legacy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

This aged well. Lmk when you come up with another bullshit theory.

hakeem94, apollo33 and JumpMan like this.
  11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

If the Mavs beat the Clippers, I think the Suns would match up well with everyone left in the West (Denver and Jazz).

12. JumpMan

Game wasn't close enough. But yeah, I was wrong. Subscribe for more theories.

13. steddinotayto

Unless there’s another close friend on either team that Chris Paul will lay down for.

JumpMan likes this.
  14. JumpMan

No banana boat members left. He'll just choke or break down as usual.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Im afraid CPs body might not last him past this next round. We will see. They will manage his minutes if other players can step up

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wade is an owner of the Jazz. Soooo you never know!

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If he repeats this year, a 50-60 mil 2-yr deal wouldn't be out of the question.

I don't think CP3 walks away from 44 mil guaranteed, but maybe Bron will dig into his bag of tampering tricks.

BossHogg713, JumpMan and hakeem94 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theundefeated.com/features/will-chris-paul-run-it-back-with-phoenix/

According to sources, LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers have been on the hunt for veteran point guard, and Paul is on the list. There have also been talks about Washington Wizards star Russell Westbrook being a potential candidate to move back home to Los Angeles in a sign-and-trade deal that could include free agent point guard Dennis Schroder, forward Kyle Kuzma and guard Talen Horton-Tucker, sources said.

For Paul to join forces with James for the first time in their careers, it would likely take a sign-and-trade with the Suns. The most the over-the-cap Lakers can offer Paul without a sign-and-trade is a $9.5 million taxpayer midlevel exception. The attraction of chasing his first championship with James, Anthony Davis and the Lakers could be an appealing option for Paul to ponder. Keep in mind that Paul, a former LA Clippers star, still lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two kids.

Paul has earned $259 million in his career. If Paul does opt out, it’s most likely he’ll re-sign with the Suns. But also keep an eye on Paul’s former agent Leon Rose, who is now president of the New York Knicks. Paul is also close to soon-to-be former Suns assistant coach Willie Green, who could certainly use a veteran point guard when he takes over as coach of the New Orleans Pelicans and may at least make an inquiry call, too. If Paul departs from Phoenix, he would be playing for his fifth team since 2017.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Want to take temperature in the room, ya'll think CP3 will re-sign with Suns?