1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020-2021 ATL Hawks Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LostTXWrangler, Nov 25, 2020.

1. LostTXWrangler

A very interesting squad to follow after a lot of impressive offseason acquisitions. Definitely improved their defense and as well as offensive firepower.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

impressed. trae bae will take them to the ecf

3. omgTHEpotential

Let's see.

PG - Trae Young
    SG - Bogdan Bogdanovic
    SF - Danilo Gallinari
    PF - John Collins
    C - Clint Capela

That's a nice starting unit. But they have no bench. Rondo and Huerter won't be enough.

4. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

If Trae continues to improve and plays defense above the league minimum, they'll be a Playoff team for sure. But Rondo & Danillo are too hot and cold to expect a massive leave into real contention.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

should be a fun team to watch this season. They'll be right there in the bottom seed mix. Trae's got some pieces now, lets see if he can really be one of those star players that impacts winning

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I see them starting off hot( 14-4)then flaming out in the end (35 wins) ... 9th seed

7. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

1st round Fodder for PHI, BOS, BKN, MIA, MIL and TOR. We will see Trae develop but thats about it

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think a trade has to come from them, i don't see Gallo playing the 3 at this point, and that defense in the 1-2-3 spots is just not good enough, Gallo makes way more sense as a 4 next to Capela, and they have plenty of players in that spot. When you consider Collins turned down extensions already, i think he's the name to keep an eye on, Collins plus a mix of Reddish/Hunter/Huerter...i think they're going to use that package to get a big name, not sure who yet, but we'll see i guess.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  9. WiltTheStilt13

Hawks look good this year, at least on paper. I am excited to watch them.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gallinari is coming off the bench — at SF they’ll have a battle of Huerter, Reddish, and Deandre Hunter.

Rondo, Gallinari, and 2 of Hunter/Reddish/Huerter, plus Okongwu (#6 overall pick) is a pretty decent bench with very high upside. They also have Tony Snell and signed Kris Dunn.

They probably have one of the most solid 1-12 in the league. I like their vet signings — but their ceiling is entirely dependent on Collins, Trae Young, and one of their young wings making a jump.

blahblehblah likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess I'm in the minority when I say they didnt do a great job. I mean yes they did bring in enough players to improve the roster but at the same time they got 50M in capspace, its impossible not to improve the roster when you got that much money to burn.

Hawks were an extremely young team, they would have been better off sucking some more to get better core pieces but I guess the GM was afraid to get fired and went for broke to make the playoffs. The prob is they didnt get the highest impact FAs I mean if the concern is make the playoffs at all cost they should have targetted guys like Ibaka, Christian Wood, Gordon Hayward, you know players who would have cost a lot but would have made the most impact. Instead they went for 2nd tier guys like Gallinari, Collins and Rondo lol. Bogdonovic is a great addition and would be a high impact player at a position of need, the only signing which made sense IMO.

There is now way too much glut on the roster and these are all young guys who would want mins to inprove. Like Hunter, Collins and Reddish all need the mins they can get to develop but then here comes Gallinari to eat chunks of PT at both forward slots and push for a playoff spot.

Okungwu is a great core piece to put beside Young but oops Capela is already gonna be manning the center position.

Huerter was supposed to be Young's sidekick on the perimeter but with Bogdanovic, Dunn and Rondo coming in what happens to him? They also resigned Snell and drafted a pretty promising pg I guess thise two are in the doghouse for next season.

They need to trades to consolidate the roster but then again its hard to think of guys who can get via trade, its not like teams would give up franchise cornerstones for the De Andre Hunter Poo Poo Platter.

It's a mediocre team and pretty underwhelming for a team that is already capped out imo. I'd say first round fodder for the weak ass East.

Compare them to NO, I think that team's rebuild makes a lot more sense. They made just 2 moves (added Hayward and Lamelo) but they will likely be in the same range as Hawks next season.

#11 roslolian, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020