1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 FIBA World Cup in China thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jul 26, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was watching foreign announcers. What was the reason for the unsportsmanlike foul? Is that because the Turkey player released the ball before the foul (which was need for instant replay)?

Was that like a our Hack-a-Shaq rule...fouls w/o the ball under 2 minutes are 1 FT and ball. But FIBA awards 2 FTs?

2. heypartner

Middleton driving for the go-ahead FGA with 2 seconds left, and Tatum rolls an ankle.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In FIBA you can't intentionally foul someone trying to stop a break throughout the game not just last 2 minutes. It's an unsportsmanlike foul.

malakas and hakeem94 like this.
  4. heypartner

Are you saying Clear Path, because we have that throughout the game, too.

They considered that a fast break? We were trying to stop the clock.

That most certainly was not a Clear Path foul, the way NBA defines it.

Are you sure it wasn’t fouling a guy without the ball in the backcourt, because they needed to go to instant replay, to see if he had passed it yet. I mean, if I recall correctly, we had 3 guys back, and the ball was still 10’ before half-court. No way NBA-type clear path. And why 2 FTs. NBA just does 1 and the ball, in most every situation I recall.

I mean, if it’s 2FTs and the ball for fouling after turnovers, even when it’s not Clear Path, that’s a major difference to NBA. Would take me, as a player, a little while to understand this much more liberal than Clear Path rules.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

An unsportsmanlike foul is a player contact foul which, in the judgement of an official is: Not a legitimate attempt to play the ball within the spirit and intent of the rules. Excessive, hard contact caused by a player in an effort to play the ball or an opponent.

Yeah it confusing, these type of unsporting fouls come in many forms. Have fun dissecting this video, hp.

#125 DreamShook, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    hakeem94 and heypartner like this.
  6. Alugeris

Alugeris Member

I haven't seen the play, but my guess is that the ball was not in play yet.
    If it's under 2:00 in 4Q or OT and you foul a player before the ball is in-bounded - that's an automatic unsportsmanlike foul

7. heypartner

here's the play. In NBA, this is just a classic attempt to stop the clock with a take foul.

Wow...2 FTs and the Ball is a major difference.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

lulz NBA defending MVP scores 13 points and is completely exposed and shutdown by a 40yo when playing against the Brazilian national team.

#NotMyMVP

Giannis is clearly a system player and the most overrated "elite" player on this generation.

Jontro and D-rock like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

@malakas faints.

RocketsFido and D-rock like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol hes averaging 11pts 6 rbs 1 ass per game
    harden could do that with an eyepatch and handcuffed in a bussines suite wearing a helmet

RocketsFido and Jontro like this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i like it, intentional fouling is not fun

JW86 likes this.
  12. TilmanFinancialWindfall

That is sad. No way harden would get shut down by 40 years old Brazilian guy

RocketsFido and vlaurelio like this.
  13. heypartner

You realize they had to stop play and spent like 5 minutes reviewing the play to see if it was intentional or not.

you really want that?

In the NBA, a Take Foul to stop the clock is a part of the game, at the end of games. FIBA apparently implemented a judgement call of intent. Sounds good, but it only puts more power in the Refs to judge that, and boring moments waiting for them to review it, like they review other technical fouls (e.g., flagrant or not).

#133 heypartner, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  14. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Time and time again. Harden gets shut down iguodola who basically 37 years old. Ginobilli blocked harden three years ago in a close out playoff game!

Basically Harden ducked FIBA, Tucker tried for FIBA out of fears of being dealt after the rockets disappointing season!

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

Yeah they kinda put a lot of stuff under the umbrella of an Unsportsmanlike foul, clear path fouls as well. Though when watching the Euroleague, I'd say it's been working out quite fine. Game just looks cleaner compared to the NBA.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. heypartner

What happened at the end wasn't a case of a Clear Path, though. We had 3 guys back, already.

What FIBA did at the end of US/Turkey was say a normal, every game, NBA and NCAA Take Foul to stop the clock at the end of a game is not allowed anymore -- ie., you must be going for the ball. And as we saw, it took them 5 minutes of "Instant" Replay to determine whether he went for the ball or not.

I can be sold on the theory of eliminating Take Fouls and requiring players to go for the ball, but the rule puts too much power of judgement in the control of Refs (increasing amount of "Instant" Replays), and for something that you can't ever stop -- teams will foul to stop the clock. It's an important part of the game. This just means no Take Fouls.

Maybe I.D.I.O.T.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

To be fair, the first game they pretty much rested him. Also Bruno Caboclo guarded him for some of that game too...always seemed a mistake the Rockets just let that guy go, gonna be a decent role player in the league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, I wonder how Celtics fans are feeling.

Team USA gonna have some big issues here, especially since Tatum sprained his ankle and they likely won't play him for the rest of the tourney. I don't know who else they are going to get ball handling from other than Kemba and Mitchell, the latter can slash of course but is a very meh playmaker.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you know harden has been averaging 30+ pts for the past 2 years against your iggy and warriors regular or playoffs right?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Man, Brazil is talking more smack about Greek freak than Clutchfams on Melo and Dwight

hakeem94 likes this.