1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Dec 28, 2018.

1. raining threes

Dillard

In two years he will be the best OL in this draft.

gucci888 likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Either him or Risner.

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Miles Sanders is someone I absolutely want

Holyfield with a bad combine

Singletary looks really fluid

raining threes likes this.
  4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think you forgot to copy this little nugget:

"Either a player has long arms or he doesn’t. When he gets to the NFL, he is going to be playing against long-armed guys almost weekly, which is why I feel he might be better off moving inside to guard at the next level."

But sure, you have some folks that projected him as an OG prior, but just look at the amount of coverage his arm length got and how much that 34 inch number got thrown out. That's my point. It would've been just as ridiculous if he measured 34'1/8" and that author changed course and said, nevermind he'll be a stud OT.

Not knocking your opinion by the way, honestly it's nice having meaningful draft discussion after last year but there are plenty of OT, past and current, that have similar or even shorter arms, and I'm not talking about 1 or 2 like the Brees/Wilson talk with Murray. But if we didn't consider Duane Brown an OG prospect coming out of VaTech, then I don't see why we should consider Williams one.

Either way, I would sure like to be having the argument on where he plays on this OL a two months from now.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jace Sternberger says that he has 10 (!!) meetings tonight. The #Patriots, #Packers, #Texans, and #Chiefs are among a few of the mentioned teams.

— Jordan Reid (@JReidNFL) March 1, 2019

#Stanford WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside:

Met with the #Texans but wasn’t a formal meeting.

He and Hopkins and Jordan Thomas together on the field would be a red zone nightmare. https://t.co/jqf9l3drA4

— Cody Stoots (@Cody_Stoots) March 1, 2019

Ole Miss WR A.J. Brown says he meets with the #Texans formally today.

— Mark Lane (@therealmarklane) March 1, 2019

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Dillard and Risner are tops of my list as well. Risner just gives off that JJ watt vibe, maybe doesnt look the part the best but damn hes gonna work at it til he is the best.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Why would having a quick 40yard dash suddenly propel an OT to be a 1st rounder? I understand measuring that initial burst of speed and power but how often are they going to be running at full speed.

red5rocket likes this.
  9. htownbball

htownbball Member

It shouldn't. The agility drills would be more telling

red5rocket and Wattafan like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. gucci888

Justice Hill putting up some numbers. 4.40 Forty, 40” vertical, 130 broad jump. Lighter back but he’s damn near out jumping Montgomery and Holyfield by a whole foot.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

For sure. But he's using words like "I feel", "might be" and "better". It's just opinion based on analysis. All of it really is. All the measurements and drills at the combine are a combination of analysis and opinion that may or may not predict a player's chances in the NFL. Williams' hand size is definitely part of the reason why people suggest he would be a better as a guard. Can't deny that. But it's not the only reason. I might see it differently because I've settled in to the idea (based on reading opinion based on analysis lol) that he would be better as a guard a while back. I still think he gets drafted early and won't be available for the Texans except they trade up. If he falls to the Texans, that's a win. That's not a guy you pass on when your line is as bad as the Texans'.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

One lineman to watch who I haven’t seen posted about recently is Oli Udoh.

Texans met with him at shrine game and at senior bowl.

Measured well and tested well

15. raining threes

Jonah Williams reminds me of a young Bahktiari/Reiff type OT.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

McSorley McSucks. His team made him look good. Definitely an Obrien type of QB.

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I dont know. Dude has some wheels on him. Ran a 4.58/4.60. He may let the Texans do some of the same things schematically as Watson.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

19. gucci888

Williams has bigger hands than Jawaan Taylor, Andre Dillard, and both of the first OTs taken in each of the 2 previous drafts (Garett Bolles and Mike McGlinchey). So think you've definitely settled into the idea. But like you said, all opinion based so to each their own.

Seen some Jake Matthews comparison. Almost identical in size and both excellent technicians.

20. gucci888