1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Summer League Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Jul 14, 2018.

?

Which player, besides Melton, are you most excited about seeing called up?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2018.
  1. Deng Adel

15.1%
  2. Trevon Duval

14.0%
  3. Vince Edwards

2.2%
  4. Isiah Hartenstein

10.8%
  5. Daniel House

20.4%
  6. RJ Hunter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Zhou Chi

34.4%
  8. Gary Clark

2.2%
  9. Markel Brown

1.1%
  1. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Which player, besides Melton, are you most excited about seeing called up and playing with next season's team? Who will have the biggest impact, be the best fit, and why?

htxaf likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I stan for the Asian players, Zhou Qi and Deng Adel.

3. forchette49

Daniel House, with his size and shooting, he could be something special. Guaranteed we lose him if we don't sign him.

Sanity2disChaos, Aruba77 and rkh-dog like this.
  4. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

House is a scorer that can knock down 3's. Can he learn to play the Defense expected?

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Whoever voted Joe Cheese your mom a ho.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Zhou was 5-9 on 3s, in four games. 11-13 on 2s. 3-21 on 3s last year.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

I think people are sleeping on Hartenstein

8. rocketseagles07

That’s what I don’t know... I really like Adel’s potential over almost any of the others. House could contribute the most now but I’m excited about Zhou/Adel ceiling wise

9. forchette49

Adel may need one more summer league before team's are rolling in the deep...

BigShasta likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes, but he also commands a spot on the 15 man roster, so is he really a 'call up' in the sense that the other guys would be?

Excluding Qi, Adel and House are the 2 most intriguing for me. Both have prototypical NBA size and athletic ability for their positions, and seem to be able to 'do' all the things required of a player at their spots in todays NBA.

Hunter is a no D shooter who takes bad shots; Markel Brown is a midget SG; Duval is a bit out of control and can't shoot; Hartenstein can't defend the switch and isn't good enough offensively to compensate; Gary Clark didn't really play.

11. Embrace the clutch

Deng, Melton, hartenstein, house and Duvall are all players we absolutely have to keep in our system. I didn’t name Zo because he already signed

12. forchette49

That is true, but I guess he could also lose it to one of the aforementioned standouts? Will he be an afterthought again? Has he developed enough? Will he be able to truly back up Capela vs. Hartenstein?

13. Embrace the clutch

Deng looks special

14. Embrace the clutch

Does anybody know why Deng wasn’t drafted???

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you honestly think they would waive Joe Chee and eat his salary to put one of the other guys on the roster?

Qi looks 100000 times better than Hartenstein in summer league - the big guy can stay in front of the switches much better than the Hart, and has so much more skill offensively it isn't funny. Plus Qi is a rim protector with that ridiculous wingspan.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Qi as a viable backup C option by 2018/19. The main question with him is how he rebounds against the big boys - but he seems to have learned a LOT since last summer league.

There's no reason some of the other aforementioned players couldn't be signed as 2 ways. Allegedly we have Gary Clark signed as a 2 way (https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...rk-signs-two-way-deal-nbas-rockets/724520002/ ) so that leaves 1 other 2 way spot available. I don't recall who fills the 2nd spot, I have a memory that RJ Hunter was a 2 way last season, and that we withdrew his in order to give it to someone else? Maybe Duval? It was in a thread somewhere, but I forget which thread and which other player...

16. heypartner

Zhou commanded a spot last year, solely because he has a guaranteed contract. Les wanted him in the US, instead of China. But he was far from commanding minutes last year. So, he's very intriguing to me, still, just like Hartenstein.

House just turned 25, and had trouble commanding time on the worst team in the NBA last year, despite be allowed to play 25 games. I'm sure his highlights in the undisciplined PHO offense shows everything we saw in Summer League. He's not as intriguing to me, because he's 25 and has more NBA minutes in the last two years than the rest of our Summer League players *combined*, and so I am probably unfairly not expecting any jump. He'd have to start playing defense like a 26yr old Jonathon Simmons did for Spurs, I'm guessing.

Just explaining why I'm not intrigued by House any more than RJ Hunter. Hopeful, though.

skroodup25 likes this.
  17. heypartner

Zhou was a standout, if you're saying Hartenstein was. imso, like you posed -- aside from Melton -- Zhou stood out the most to me.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  18. Why not?

Why not? Member

Dang, Deng. I missed your dang break-out game, Deng. Dammit.

He go off though? Can anyone who watched elaborate on how he played?

19. forchette49

Edwards has the other.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Fair call!

Check House's college stats compared to his DLeague stats, and there is a significant jump in shooting numbers - he also added a LOT of muscle to his frame (or so it appears to me) - could be a late bloomer?

Either way, I would've preferred to see Gary Clark play!

forchette49 likes this.