1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 28, 2018.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Thanks for the review. So even though the software setting to hide the notch, applications can override that?
    Wonder if the extra RAM will help with their quick start gaming optimization. Thoughts on the camera compared to your Pixel?
    I am a bit wary I will miss Google's HDR which has my Nexus 6P still taking great pics albeit no chance for rapid shots due to it being so slow now.

I'm personally crossing my fingers that Google's camera app will get ported to the 6T somehow.
    Also did you remove the screen protector? I'm a little bit concerned on the durability rocking it naked, if the manufacture opted to include the protector and case for free.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

So far I've only noticed app override in Android Auto consistently in Android Auto which is basically every time I drive and Amazon prime video when you zoom in.

My next test will be the camera but from the few shots I've taken, it's noticeably inferior to the pixel camera. I'm going to factory reset my pixel 2 before I do it so that both phones are on fresh starts.

There is a port for gcam to the 6 that works on the 6T. I haven't tried it since i've read it's still somewhat unstable.

Haven't removed the screen protector yet. I barely notice it's there but it picks up grime fast. I'm waiting to see if i can hold out for a glass protector. The TPU case will hold me over until i can find a case to but it's an oil magnet.

Added notes:

1) Phone has got some weight to it. My support pinky is actually getting tired from holding the phone up.
    2) unlike the pixel 2, when you plug the phone into the charger, the screen goes super bright. I forgot about the pixel screen not lighting up when plugging in the charger. It startled my wife.
    3) The phone is already behind on software updates. That might prove troublesome up the road. tmobile variant is missing the smartboost feature to allow apps to hold in memory to allow faster launching. From an article I read, it says the feature doesn't seem to offer any benefits. It might be something the app developer might have to make compatible.

3. BiGGieStuFF

I hate to keep rambling on about this phone but it seems the ability to keep apps loaded into RAM is adaptive? At first my game wouldn't star loaded but the 2nd half of today it stayed loaded. Even after doing some navigating and photo taking. Hmmm

4. superfob

Picked up a OnePlus 6t today and after messing with it for half a day, I can say the face unlock is superior method except in the dark. In screen fingerprint reader is a bit disappointing, and wish they kept a back unit. Camera is a bit disappointing, especially for indoor lighting. Only plus is pictures are captured quickly.

The rest of the performance is light years ahead of what I'm use to.

#124 superfob, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. BiGGieStuFF

yeah the face unlock is lightning quick. Do you you have the option enabled to light up the screen when it's dark for the face unlock? That works well for me. For the fingerprint, i have a total of 8 fingerprints added. 4 different fingers and each of them at different angles and it's improved for me.

They do have the google camera modified for the 6T. you can find it in XDA but it's a bit buggy. I haven't tried it yet myself but some folks are saying it's really good alternative to the stock camera.

6. superfob

Hmm didn't see that option, but not sure I'd actually want something bright shining anyways. The fingerprint works well enough once you realize you have to cover the entire icon and hold it there for longer than I was use to.

I have tried the gcam port, and my pictures from what I can tell look about the same. I still have hope it'll be improved down the line.

Just a few other nitpicks, because the bezel is so small at the bottom, I do find it a little harder to type and navigate at times with my thumb (single hand mode). Also the biggest loss from a behind fingerprint sensor is the ability to pull down the notification shade swiping down that can be performed on top of other apps

All in all, amazed at how much smoother and faster the phone, and well worth the $400+ I spent.

7. BiGGieStuFF

It uses the sensor to detect if it's dark to light up the screen but I know what you're talking about it lighting up a dark room. I end up using it as a quick flashlight at times.

small things i've done to make my life easier.

using the off screen gestures. circle gesture to launch google assistant voice command. That replaces my squeeze for google assistant on my pixel.
    single tap to wake ambient display screen instead of double tap to wake up entire screen

I can't think of a way to replace your swipe down on fingerprint scanner feature. I end up swiping up to go home and then swiping down if i have to use it one handed. Let me know if you think of a workaround.

Which keyboard do you use? in Gboard you can make the keyboard taller or have it switch to one handed use where it raises the keyboard a bit higher for you to reach the bottom keys easier.

8. superfob

I use Gboard. Ahh thanks for the tip of increasing the height.
    At the tallest setting, it is definitely more natural placement, especially the commas.

I also feel like the screen protector delays the touch sensitivity (requires more travel before the OS recognizes?). I may remove if it feels like that's the case. The built in touchscreen feels like it's working better now, but I'm in a bright work environment so that might be the difference.

For notification bar, I've been doing the same. Lucky everything is so fast it isn't a huge inconvenience.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

10. Nas

Nas Member

Google sent me a promo code for the pixel if anyone wants to use it. $150 off the xl and $100 off the 3. Expires on the 1st. Just let me know.

11. Nas

Nas Member

Google sent me a promo code for the pixel if anyone wants to use it. $150 off the xl and $100 off the 3. Expires on the 1st. Just let me know.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. elrond

elrond Member

You can try disabling the battery optimization setting for the app you want to stay in memory. Go to Settings->Battery, pick the game you wan to stay in memory, and for battery optimization setting change it to not optimized. For me this works really well for some games like Pokemon Go, but doesn't work for others. Ultimately it will most likely depend on how often the app feels the need to reset itself, and whether the memory becomes needed for something else.

13. WolfofHouston

WolfofHouston Member

Does the coupon not work if you're doing a trade in?

I'm going to buy pixel 3 here soon. I got a 1st Gen here.

14. Nas

Nas Member

Pretty sure it works in addition to a trade in.

15. superfob

@BiGGieStuFF need a 2019 thread so I can talk **** about the Samsung fold.

[​IMG]