1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 28, 2018.

1. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Fellow nexus 6p user here too. Mines still working great, but itching to upgrade for any reason.

I'm probably going to wait for the discounted pixel 2 or 2xl. Love that they're promising 3 year updates now.

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have an HTC 10. It's a terrific phone but HTC appears to be circling the drain and I no longer believe they'll be around that much longer. There hasn't been any Android updates since the Feb Oreo update and HTC just announced that the 10 won't be getting Android Pie. I'm waiting for the Pixel 3 to drop as I plan to be looking at a discounted Pixel 2 as well.

fba34 likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Got the G7 on Friday. Love it even more than the v30.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Android experts...

What would be the best most current Android phone I could get if switching from iphone, and assuming (1) size matters (i like bigger), (2) I'm not attached to any particular service provider, and (3) budget isn't an issue... EXCEPT I will absolutely try to find the best deal possible (whehter by switching providers, or a deal on a certain phone or whatever)?

I watch lots of streaming video (sports, Netflix), and use the camera (but not like a millennial).

I might just get the new iphone, but am at least open to switching.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I think I'm going with the Note 9 over the LG or the Pixel -- my last 2 phones have been LGs and I'm heading back to Samsung -- I really don't know a lot about Pixels.

Change my mind..?

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I'm waiting for the Pixel 3 and OnePlus announcements before I make a choice.

Samsung's bloatware and slow OS updates keep me from going back to them.

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Samsung has an up to $600 dollar trade in for their devices including the note (I think it's still going on). Kinda tempted myself.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/10/05/deal-600-off-trade-note9-galaxy-s9/

As @superfob mentioned, the Pixels are being announced (hopefully released also, but unlikely) tomorrow.

8. OmegaSupreme

I dunno. GSMarena seems to think the XL screen will be just 1080p (I doubt that). If that's the case, it better be reflected in the price. If not, "that's a no from me dawg."

9. JayZ750

10. OmegaSupreme

Doesn't matter. Samsung takes Apple devices.

[​IMG]

Click the source link within the link I posted.

11. JayZ750

Cool! Thanks

12. JayZ750

I'm trading in an iphone 5s, lol. They'll offer like $50.
    I have a 6s that is all f'd up though. Not sure if I could get anything for that....

13. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Really interested in the Razer Phone 2. It'll be unveiled Wed night.

[​IMG]

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I thought QHD is the new standard for flagship devices. Debate usually swirls around led vs oled in terms of pricing even if oled is sometimes unreliable with ghosting issues.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If screen size matters, Galaxy note or s9 plus. Best screens on the market and Samsung created the phablet space.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Google event today approx . 9:40am : look for Pixel 3 , Nocturne (tablet), Pixelbook 2

Google live feed :

CNET coverage :

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Good God I'm hoping the Pixel is either moderately priced, or has something that draws me over because I'm sick of this BS Samsung ecosystem. God I hate Samsung so much, I'm mad I got tricked into an S8+

18. JayZ750

Please elaborate/explain?

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Basically the locked phone in combination with slow update structure is frustrating to me. Samsung takes a similar approach to apple in that the phone is quite invasive in terms of what it tracks and there is a ton of samsung bloat. Samsung packs on it's own apps and makes it so that you can't remove them without installing third party apps to do so.

Case in point, let's say you want to use chrome instead of samsung internet, guess what? You can't remove samsung internet from your phone. Or lets say you would like to use a non-samsung keyboard like swiftkey, since the dictionary is local to the keyboard and not device level you won't get spell check on other keyboards. Samsung locks you into their crap. It gets old. Fast.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Not a bad showing from Google today, I'm tempted to hop on... I'll have to ponder that price.