1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2018-2019] Jeremy Lin as an Atlanta Hawk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin McHale wasn't the reason for Lin's demise in Houston, it was Lin.

The Nets traded him to the Atlanta then quickly picked up a guard right after that.

The pattern is the same for Lin, he's a bench player, who feels like he should be a starter. Very late career Carmelo like.

2. mig0s

mig0s Member

Where do you see Lin say that he should start? Just curious

3. tinman

Supporting Member

He left the Hornets to be a starter on the Nets. You think he cares about the team winning?
    Why do you think he got traded?

https://nypost.com/2018/04/12/jeremy-lin-believes-he-will-be-a-starter-next-season/

Jeremy Lin believes he will be a starter next season

Jeremy Lin endured hamstring injuries his first year with the Nets and ruptured his patella tendon in this season’s opener.

But after having to actually change the way he moves — undoing 29 years of muscle memory isn’t exactly like wiping a hard drive — his marathon rehab is finally in the home stretch.

As the Nets wrap up this season, Lin said when they tip off the next he expects to resume his role as a starter and leader — even in a crowded backcourt that includes D’Angelo Russell, Spencer Dinwiddie and Caris LeVert.

4. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I never said McHale was the reason for Lin's "demise" in Houston. Actually, McHale liked Lin...gave him 32mpg as a starter and 28mpg as a backup. My issue with McHale was that his coaching was nothing more than clapping a lot and telling the players to play hard. That said, I enjoyed watching the Rockets when Lin was on the team...good mix of talent, young players.

Lin and Carmelo are nothing alike. Carmelo was a top draft pick coming out of college...a supremely talented player whose prima-donna ego eventually made him a cancer on the teams he played on. Lin, on the other hand, is been an underdog with a limited skillset whose hard work, determination and selfless play has kept him in the league far longer than anyone projected when he came out of college.

5. yoeddy

Again, why is this a bad thing? That he felt like he wanted a chance to start as he entered the prime years of his career? And why was it bad that he felt like he would still be the starter after working hard to rehab?

He's a team player...he wants the teams he's on to win. And yes, he wants to be an important part of that success. Why is that bad? Was Harden a bad guy for leaving OKC where he could have continued to be coming off the bench and play behind Westbrook and Durant?

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Come on now. You are just asking for it with that last line.

Situations and players aren’t even remotely the same.

tinman likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Zboy
    @CometsWin

You can't compare Harden to Lin.
    Ever.

Lin was dead set on being a starter on the Nets, and the Nets didn't want him as a starter , so they traded him.

I understand that 0% of the Lin fans understand the reasoning, but 100% of NBA fans do.

He's never lived up to expectations as a starter, he's been traded or demoted every time.

#347 tinman, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

You realize he's a Jeremy Lin Only Fan who has no interest in the Rockets but joined this site only to ensure there are no negative views on Lin's basketball career.

Kevin Durant had a burner account for himself, but he doesn't have an army of Lin fans who do this for him.

9. yoeddy

The Nets signed him to be the starter, and he was the starter when he was healthy enough to play. To express that he expected to resume that role while rehabbing from his injury is somehow terrible? And yes, his injuries prevented him from living up to expectations as a starter...you're going to bash him for that? Seriously?

The only times he's been expected to be a starter are with the Rockets and the Nets, so this whole thing about him living up to expectations as a starter isn't some longtime drawn out thing of disappointment...GSW, Knicks, Lakers, Hornets, Atlanta...none of them expected him to be a starter.

10. yoeddy

Sure, there are differences...but conceptually, what's wrong with a player believing in themselves and wanting the opportunity to go for it?

11. yoeddy

I have enjoyed the Rockets...with Matt Maloney, Yao, Lin...I even enjoyed The Dream, although admittedly it was hard to watch the Rockets back then since I didn't live in the Houston area and only was able to watch the national broadcasts.

And how would I possibly "ensure there are no negative views on Lin's basketball career"? I mean, really...how would I do that?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

you keep replying to posts about Lin to defuse the message that he's an average nba player who keeps getting traded from team to team.
    you never mention that he's had a bad season, game, or even play.

you make ridiculous analogies like comparing Lin's situation to Harden's.

We're surrounded by real Rockets fans and you don't remotely sound like you ever were one.

Also you have posted this in the past on this site, easily searchable.

13. yoeddy

? Lin has only been traded twice in his career. Why do you keep insisting that he "keeps getting traded from team to team"?

He had terrible seasons with GSW and the Lakers. Admittedly, I think the Lakers situation was not on him...between Kobe's mid-life crisis and Byron Scott's stupidity, almost everyone on that Lakers team had terrible seasons (and all who left went on to have much better seasons the following year with other teams).

In the years that I've been posting here, I drew one comparison to Harden...and it was a legit one describing a player who left a contending team where he was a backup to go to an opportunity where he could be a starter on a young building team.

And yes, I have posted these things in the past. What's your point? You can easily look at my joining date to see I've been here for years. What do you need to search?

I keep replying to posts about Lin because I like talking about Lin. But I wanted to come here to talk about his time with his current team, not rehash all this stuff from the past.

14. yoeddy

Btw - one correction on this. Yes, I am a fan of Jeremy Lin. In particular, I am a fan of his because he's been an underdog, he's a fellow-Ivy-Leaguer, and of course he is Asian-American. I am also a long-time Nets fan (with a hiatus when they first moved to Brooklyn from NJ, because I am from NJ and hated the owner for moving them...with Jeremy joining the team and an old high school classmate buying the team, I have re-ignited my Nets fandom). Have also been a long-time NBA fan and enjoy watching great basketball. Regarding the Rockets, as I've said elsewhere I am a huge Yao fan (yes, because he is Chinese), a Matt Maloney fan (because he is an Ivy Leaguer), and really respected Dream. I also liked Sam Cassell (became a fan of his when he joined the Nets and learned more about his time with the Rockets).

So...I'm not a "Lin Only Fan"...

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Lin was not good for the Rockets and didn't live up to his billing. He was absolutely terrible in the playoffs, Vs OKC and Portland.
    Morey saw enough.

Kobe and Byron Scott have earned the right to mess up in Los Angeles because they are champions and have done more good than harm.

There is nothing in the world that you can compare Lin to Harden at in Basketball.

Harden was a franchise player on a historically talented OKC squad. Lin had a winning streak with the Knicks and got out bid by the Rockets.

Given a chance to be a bench player in Charlotte, he decided to go to the Nets because he cared more about starting on a bad team then being a bench player on a good team.

The Nets clearly didn't see him as a starter anymore.

16. yoeddy

He completely lived up to the billing of a $5M/year PG (average $ for a starting PG back then). He was not worth the $15M of the third year of his contract, so Morey traded him. He played while injured in the playoffs vs OKC after being criticized in NYC for not playing through injury in the playoffs with the Knicks. Against Portland, he made a few bad decisions (like all young players do), but he had a couple of great games too and left the court in game 6 having kept Lillard scoreless in the 4th quarter and holding a lead with less than a second left on the clock.

Yep, they had that right. It is not a reflection on Lin at all.

Harden is an awesome player.

You keep saying this like it’s a bad thing. It’s not.

You keep saying this like his major injury and questions about his ability to recover fully had nothing to do with that decision.

17. yoeddy

Here's a pretty good article about Lin's rehab from his torn patella tendon (subscription required):
    https://theathletic.com/677197/2018...-to-recovery-and-how-he-transformed-his-life/

Excerpt:
    "Fan called this injury one of the most significant injuries Lin has had, but this turned out to be one of the most important training years he has had in his career. Fortius helped change more than two decades of habits Lin had developed on the court. He always has been a downhill player who attacks the rim, which sometimes leads to hard falls. That puts a lot of pressure on the knees and quadriceps. He lacked the ability to decelerate properly and wasn’t a very balanced player. At Fortius, they learned Lin hadn’t been using the proper muscles to run and jump. Everything he did was monitored. He couldn’t run up the stairs without someone watching how he moved. The staff observed how his body was positioned when he was slumped over and looking at his phone or how his back would arch when he ate. That not only reshaped his on-court movements but also changed the way he went about life.

“A certain player usually moves the same way from when they start playing basketball,” Fan said. “He’s 30 right now, so we’re talking about 25 years of movement. To undergo that much relearning was a very strenuous process. He’s a lot more balanced now, and he just looks so much better on the court with how he lands and how he’s using his core more. In his earlier years, he was so reliant on his lower back. You can see the actual muscular differences with his lower back. I used to call him the Hunchback of Notre Dame with how his muscles were. He was using those muscles to jump, drive and decelerate and not using his glutes.

“You can understand how consuming the rehab process was.”

Lin went through several periods of doubt throughout the process and had multiple setbacks along the way. It wasn’t because he pushed too fast or too hard; His body just wasn’t adjusting as fast as he would have liked with a brand new knee. Other muscles were working harder and over-compensating."

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Lol, I'm sure the Lakers fans had a different perception of Lin's performance than by a Lin fan.

You talk about his injury but then talk about him having lower minutes this year.

What is it? you want him to be a starter and play lots of minutes? you want him to be traded to another team so he can have some type of 'glory'?

19. tinman

Supporting Member

He didn't play last night.

You want him to play lots of minutes and be a starter? Trae Young played better

What happens if you get your wish and Lin gets hurt again?

20. macan

macan Member

bring jerry lin back! he's at least more serviceable than MC fuking W
    jerry lin should be happy we cut his enemy melo