1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Do not get the axon

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

For $240? Yes. But for $440? I don't think so.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have nine months left on Verizon contract with four phones (S6). My wife dunked her phone and its dead switched her back temporarily to her old S3) My youngest daughter has dropped hers a few times but its continues to work, but she says she wants to switch to an iPhone. Looking for suggestions on phones: given I have to get four reasonably priced alternatives I'dlike , and I'd like the phones to do wifi calling since I live in the sticks (@Montgomery). If Pixel was reasonably priced it would be one I'd be interested in... any others that would meet the wifi calling need?

4. likestohypeguy

The 16gb version is $229 at BB or same with no tax at BH & takes micro SD- that's different than mini sd I take it. Not familiar with expandable memory, didn't realize there were diff sizes in phones.

Just returned mine. Amazing on paper specs for the price, and i might have just got a bad example, but ive Never had so many dropped calls and bad connections with any phone before this one.

I do miss its amoled display and the rear fingerprint reader (wouldn't even want one on front like the plus'), but I make too many calls for reception/call quality not to be priority.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah micro is what I meant. As for the 16GB version, it only has 2GB RAM. Deal killer for me.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I ended up getting the Pixel and using this. Works quite well.

I got a case and cut a little box at the bottom and left a little slack so I could still take off the USB connector as needed. It's easy to take switch between wireless and regular charging,

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

not sure how OnePlus didn't learn from other manufacturers several years ago that cheating benchmarks is crap idea.

https://www.xda-developers.com/benc...ght-red-handed-and-what-theyve-done-about-it/

Yung-T likes this.
  8. likestohypeguy

Oh okay, I thought you'd said a G4 plus would work for you but only if you could get it for $220, so was just letting you know it's nine bucks off your target now, with no tax. But yeah I wouldn't want that one either, with a fingerprint reader on the front I'd just assume not have one. I miss being able to do nothing but grab the phone while touching the back with my finger and im in business. No pattern swiping or voice or codes anything.

I'm kind of glad the xl pixels are OOS everywhere, unless you're verizon. That seems like the best of everything.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Though their phones are decent, I have only ever had a One from them.

They are a very shady company. From bad customer service, to claiming they had gorilla glass on the One, then not ever really acknowledging why it wasn't verified by Corning, to the deal going sour with Cyanogen, which was a lot of reason people bought in the first place, to lying about having switchable back covers on the One, to now cheating on specs....

Yeah, I choose to spend my money elsewhere. Though their phones are decent, and for a decent price.

Also, why can't they add expandable storage?

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Enjoying my LG V20 good phone that seems to have been ignored by most people.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Between the flop that was the G5, their "first man up the hill" modularity, and their rampant hardware failures, the V20 was rightly ignored.

ubigred likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

When I hear 'rampant hardware failures' I think of Samsung not LG.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Will be looking for a phone this year. Definitely checking to see the iPhone 8, hopefully they really revolutionize and step up their design.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm looking for a deal on one because it's been billed as an audiophile phone. Too bad no major deals showed up for it during Thanksgiving.

What's your impressions so far?

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Google LG bootloop.

Phones weren't exploding, so nobody heard about it, but it happened to exponentially more people.

Happened to me twice.

ubigred and Yung-T like this.
  16. KingCheetah

LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty.
    _____

No doubt a huge headache but at least they fixed the issue - no such issues thus far with the V20 (knock on wood).

17. thejav

thejav Member

Just got the OnePlus 3t. Great phone.

Dave2000 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

The LG V20 is finally here and after much teasing about the handset’s audio capabilities, we finally have the official details. As well as boasting some top notch playback capabilities, LG has bundled in a selection of new recording features, both hardware and software, that will be a boon for mobile media creators and consumers.

As we suspected, the LG V20 features the latest ES9218 DAC from ESS, which features a parallel sub-DAC configuration to improve noise performance and total harmonic distortion. The chip boasts theoretical maximums of 130SNR, 124dB DNR and -112dB THD+N, although real world performance may not quite reach these numbers.
    _____

Good article on audio - I'm enjoying the 5.7 screen - performance is excellent so no complaints so far. Seems like there should be good deals out there as the new LG flagship is coming out soon and will have a 5.7 screen again with waterproofing this time.

19. hlcc

hlcc Member

ramotadab likes this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My Axon just got Nougat and is now Daydream ready. Should I get a VR headset?