1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Rockets cap space projection and run-down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RobKsports, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Agree, & Harden can attest to that. Harden/Durant/Westbrook made it to the finals & many felt they would
    be there every year thereafter. Then Haden was traded (they decided the need was > w/Perkins/Ibaka)
    Westbrook (Bev incident) got hurt & then Durant the following two years with ankle/foot surgeries.
    Personally I don't have a problem making a trade to strengthen depth while shedding undesirable
    contracts to better position the Rockets ability to attract a FA this summer. Preferably not handcuffing
    the team. Ryno/Gordon/Bev do not have the best histories with health. Everyone can't be like Sam
    Cassell....."2 years, 2 rings, & we might go for another one!"

bongman likes this.
  2. bongman

bongman Member

Talking about Cassell, we traded 3 of our major role players for Barkley. We did go to the WCF that year but after that, we never got past the first round till 12 yrs later.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Nice post OP. didn't realize we had that much space either. I'm pretty happy with around 20 mil in space by finding a way to dump Brewer and KJ.

Hearing a lot of talk about Hayward but I think it's super unlikely not because of money but I really don't think we're his top pick. It should come down to Utah and Boston. We just started talking about him because cyberx said we would target him but that doesn't tell us anything about his plans. And that was early.

Even if we have a first rd exit I don't think we will rid of any starters or EG. 18-20 mil might not get us a vet max but having the money might not either. We got EG for a hell of a lot cheaper, just need to find another like him at a different position.

da_juice likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why would he choose Utah or Boston over us? We're a better team than them.

5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

That's the pressure of the top teams always trying to get better. Warriors & Cavs have made moves in an
    attempt to get better. Durant (GSW lost players in the process) & Dunleavy addition (then subtraction x Korver). Why fix what's not broken? Both were champs of their respective conferences. People may need to come to terms with Houston tweaking the team as well each year....as a means of staying at the top.
    Starting when we win the championship this year Baby!! Go Rockets!!.....and Texans!!....and the Astros!!

Edited later: Warriors are more vulnerable now than the past 2 years....imo. If they don't make
    a trade, they can be beat in the playoffs when you make adjustments from game to game.
    without Bogut's 20 mins, teams like Memphis are giving them trouble.

#25 Jatman20, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

SPOILER ALERT: This is where I think the Rockets will land. Not max room, but maybe enough to get another Anderson/Gordon-caliber free agent without losing any of their core guys. Either that or add salary via trade and operate over the cap (gaining access to the new bigger MLE and BAE).

Once the new CBA is written and some of the finer details become public, I will probably do a new salary cap update.

Hakeemtheking and burnshroom like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought it was projected to be 108m

DD

8. bongman

bongman Member

I agree with you. Just want to point out that tweaking is different than "all in" although GS seems to have done that this year. I guess we will find out how that pans out in the end.

9. GranvilleWaders

under no circumstance would you let Gordon go. He is perfect for this team!

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Gordon is great for this team, but let's be real there are more perfect players. If the situation in Indiana turns sour and Paul George becomes available, you don't think twice about it.

A Harden/George team would be incredible. You try to keep Gordon as long as you can, but you also can't be unreasonable about it,

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Can you get enough space for Hayward if you waive KJ and find takers for Ariza and Brewer? Hate to lose Ariza, but he is getting older and Hayward is so much better.

12. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

True....probably the only reason Thorpe was traded after the 93/94 championship team, was because
    the Rockets were struggling a little. At 30-17 the Rockets felt like they needed to stir things up & Drexler
    became available. Enter Drexler. Not every trade works. Sometimes a little luck is envolved. Something
    about this season has a little "perfect storm" feel to it. Knock on wood. Future PG may be an issue beyond
    this year as Llull probably won't try the NBA until he is past his peak like Prigioni or Arvydas Sabonis.
    Zhou Qi is probably 2 more yrs away. Gentile is ready. SF is set with Ariza/Dekker/Gentile for our
    immediate future. Payton III probably could be that 3rd PG next yr if still available.

Edited later: backup center and taller backup to Harden remains my main target. Harrell could be
    the backup PF as he continues to work on outside shooting over the summer.

#32 Jatman20, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    bongman likes this.
  13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Fans need to understand there is no "Way-Back" machine. Injuries can't & should not be predicted;
    but Capela/Harrell/Dekker are entering new territory. Will they be exhausted come playoff time?
    Once he deadline passes.....it passes. We go to battle with a Brewer if Ariza or Dekker gets hurt.

14. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why r there still so beautiful dream in new CBA ? It will be very very diffecult to get any superstar in free agent market

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes, you're right, it's a beautiful dream, and a pipe one too. I'm just using it as an example.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

While that trade was going down, Horry, Otis and Vernon were not in the lineup, giving Scott Brooks an opportunity to play 24 minutes against the Clippers. He had the game of his life, going 9/10 (2/2 from 3pt land) and finished with 23 points. Next game, Brooks had 2 points and went back to being himself as Clyde Drexler's appearance relegated Brooks' to his more natural role, leader of cheers.

[​IMG]

kjayp and Jatman20 like this.
  17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He is already in Utah, seems to be happy there, they can offer a fifth year with more money. He played for Brad Stevens, Boston is a great market and city for basketball, easier schedule in the East and just a better fit.

We can't take it personally whenever one says our team is not a top destination for a certain player.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He'll choose to stay in Utah because of tens of millions of dollars.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's not about taking it personally. We are actually the best team he can realistically join aside from the Spurs.

I understand the Utah angle because they can pay a lot more (although from what I understand, one of the least desirable cities for NBA players to live in), but Boston no way. For the same money, he would come here imo. Much better fit, much better chance at winning, and he could make more here due to state taxes being lower. Horford was close to coming here instead of Boston after we had a disaster of a season and Boston had a very promising season. Meanwhile we've leapfrogged Boston as contenders and the new CBA makes it almost unfathomable that Harden would bolt. Players are looking fantastic in our system and we're getting tons of media attention if that's his thing.

This summer, we are a top destination. Our chemistry is wooing the media, we have the MVP, our PG leads the league in assists, and our non-Harden players are making role players around the league jealous. Trust me I'm not an overly optimistic fan or blind to non-Rockets perception, but we get to enjoy the work these guys have done. We are a REALLY good team and fun and have room for a great player. I think if Hayward can see past the extra money at all, he'll be a Rocket. I think it's a fair point of view.

20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Watching "Clutch City" on NBA network. The players hated that trade. Otis was a popular
    player among the team itself. Vernon didn't like losing his starting job. Mad Max stormed off
    during an early playoff series. Then the hungry Drexler took over. The players said, oh that's
    what he can contribute. So the players don't always know. They are in the trenches & are not
    neutral/objective. I don't care for hearing the players wanting to stay together as is....but I'm just
    a passenger on this ship. If all of us want to go down with the ship and keep things as is. Then
    I'll go down with the ship also. Brewer's contract will require pick(s) to move this summer. If not
    more than likely teams will force the Rockets to eat most of his salary until Jan/Feb next yr. They
    will take his expiring contract.....after Houston pays most if it. IMHO