1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Montrezl Harrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 15, 2016.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I don't think this thread exists yet , so I'm making it . With the recent Dmo news it's clear that ( for the time being ) that Harrell nene and Dekker will fill the backup big minutes.

Harrell has been stealing some minutes lately ( deservedly so ) . He's bringing great energy and making some solid plays .

If he can improve his team defensive positioning and knowledge then I think he's more than adequate given that I think his shot is looking like it will be solid in the future .

Could this be the SECOND Morey steal in the 2015 draft ?

He's got the length , he's got the attitude, and from the fact that he's earning minutes it appears he has the work ethic .

Plus I love crazy players . And montrezl definitely has a crazy side .

s3ts, da_juice, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I like that he seems to be developing a nice jump shot. If he can get that up to Scola midrange standards, he's going give MDA and Harden a lot of ideas and options when he sets a pick.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. . . . The Rockets need some Crazy .. . . no Harrel isn't crazy but he brings. . . IT . . the energy . .the attitude

Some of the Best performing Rockets teams were the ARTEST team and Mad Max Teams . . . Montrezl can bring that kind of attitude . . .. . I think it is for the best
    They not the lead dogs but they push the pack

Rocket River

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's right . I don't want harden getting ejected because retaliated against draymond in the playoffs ... But I don't mind if montrezl does . Harrell is pretty physically imposing.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I was worried he wasn't going to get any minutes if DMo came back. Thankfully that's not happening now. He brings 100% energy and hustle every night. He's going to be back down the stretch for us if he continues to get minutes and develops.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Trez reminds me a lot of rookie year Landry.

s3ts and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Landry was a much better offensive player. Probably crappier defensively.

s3ts likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

I mean, yeah, obviously no comparison is perfect. And to be fair, Landry was pretty raw his rookie year. He didn't really add an effective midrange jump shot until later in his career. My comparison is based on both being extremely high energy players off the bench with a special knack for dunking and blocking. DRtgs of 107 and 102.

s3ts and MrButtocks like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's funny when you think about both Landry and Patterson . Both years we thought Morey nailed the picks , but Both became more like finesse players after their rookie years . Landry from midrange , Patterson also from midrange and then expanding to 3 . Neither became great defenders.

To me montrezl reminds me more of Patterson . Or at least I hope he plays like him . Rookie year patsquatch was a monster but he had that injury and was never as aggressive around the bucket again.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Amazing how far video has come in such a short time.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Neither pat nor Landry are or we're nearly as aggressive as trez is.

s3ts, D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

They were however, more skilled.

Ramo$e likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I disagree.

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Can't see how you could.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Montrezl has waaaaay longer reach than Landry - his standing reach is 6 inches higher.

But I can see what you're saying, similarity in that he's attacking the rim and looking to finish strong. I'm going to guess Montrezl is a better finisher, he is an insane dunker and always looking to flush everything. He's also a bit more skillful than people think - we didn't see that much from Landry rookie year in terms of what he could bring with that money midrange jumper, I think Montrezl will surprise some with his jumpshot and spin moves as time goes on.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I AGREE! I'm a huge believer of the "Harden needs to play with lunatics" movement. Bev and Montrezl are perfect teammates. I think Dekker might be a closet psychopath.

dram1, quikkag, s3ts and 2 others like this.
  17. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

Fun fact, Rockets are 7-0 when Montrezl plays over 15 minutes.

quikkag, s3ts, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  18. hooroo

hooroo Member

He needs to be the primary backup C now to fast track his development for the playoffs.

Zacatecas likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That Stare Dekker gave after his slam . . .. . . . one never knows

Rocket River

DreamShook likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jesus, Landry had a lot of dunks in his rookie year. That video needed two songs. And he didn't even crack the rotation until halfway through the season!