1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Great American Eclipse - Who is going?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bäumer, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Just picked up my eclipse glasses at Kroger last night. I am headed up to Wyoming to backpack in the Tetons to see the total eclipse then backpack for the week. I am ridiculously excited to go, it is a once in a lifetime and epic trip for me. The Tetons and a total solar eclipse are both legitimate bucket list items for me. Just curious to see if anyone else on here has any plans to for it. The sun should be 2/3 covered here in Houston at around 4 p.m. so don't miss out. Here is a link where you can plug in your location and see eclipse info and times.

This is the spot I am shooting for.
    [​IMG]

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I got to see a 97% solar eclipse in England in 1999. We would've driven to Cornwall to see it at 100%, but the news said half a million people would be on the roads trying to get down there and it'd be absolute gridlock, so we decided not to go.

Turned out everyone in the country watched the news and decided to stay home...supposedly there was almost no traffic. Still pretty cool to see a near-total eclipse. It made the shadows of everything weird.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  3. Bäumer

That sounds awesome still. I didn't realize that there would be a partial eclipse down here. Did it get dark at all when you saw it?

The crowds/traffic/gridlock is what I am worried about but I figured if I can get close to my goal I should still see a 100% eclipse. I am going in from the backside through Idaho on backroads so hopefully it isn't too insane. Maybe I am being naive though. I am trying to get to the trail on Saturday night so I can beat some of the rush and be set up in my spot Sunday for the eclipse on Monday.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I plan on going to enchanted rock in a few years (I think) when it is there. It's going to be crazy up there but it will be worth it.

Sajan and Bäumer like this.
  5. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It was about as dark as twilight. Pretty eerie. A full eclipse will be amazing.

Bäumer likes this.
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Looks like we will see about 70% of it here in Houston.

[​IMG]

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not trying to be the edgy guy here who hates everything celestial but total solar eclipses are in the same realm of things I just don't care about. I can't be in that circle, I'm sorry. :cool: <---- me in my solar eclipse glasses

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. Bäumer

Cool beans man.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. Bäumer

Yeah that one should be pretty awesome and the 100% coverage is going to be longer. Enchanted Rock would be an amazing spot for it. Book your campsite/hotel super early though. I know the Grand Teton NP campsites sold out in a minute or two back in January when they first went up for reservation. Flights are $1800 (cheapest I saw was still about $900) to Jackson and hotels and Airbnb's are either all booked or astronomically expensive and have been for a while.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sorry, it was a weak attempt at humor. Where we live we'll only get the 70% treatment, about the same as Houston. Enjoy your trip!!

Bäumer likes this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Flying to Atlanta the day before, got an Airbnb on the edge of totality. Plan to make our way to Dillard, GA early Monday morning.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm jealous, that sounds spectacular.

13. theimpossibles1

I am on the fence, leaning towards yes. 11hr drive to 100% and closer, longer lasting one in 2024 but alot can change in 7yrs.

Bäumer likes this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

96% coverage here in Billings. Should be pretty cool!

Bäumer likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm 3 hours from Glendo Reservoir (and State Park), WY. Plan to drive there and, if cloudy, be mobile between there and Casper....I-25 nearly follows the path the whole way, between Glendo and Casper and all the way to Shashoni.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Jam this at least once while your there haaa

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Quality thread. Have fun on your journey bro

Bäumer likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Beautiful! Keep your eye out for bears, though. ;)

Me? I keep thinking of club sandwiches. Can't figure out why.

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

20. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Thinking it might be a good time to perform a sacrifice to the Lord Of Light.

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors ya know.