1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 Cinema Awards] 89th Academy Awards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but somehow, I think displaying the result on the big screen, instead of opening an envelope, and that screen is programmed only by the people who know the results (akin to those programming the results to be printed out on cards), would prevent this from happening.

Sorta like how they do the digital replay in tennis. There's actually nobody else interpreting it other than the screen/computer. Minimize the human element as much as possible (but its impossible to eliminate it completely, thus mistakes are always possible).

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's the 2nd most watch tv event of the year after the Super Bowl, why do people watch if they don't care?

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just noticed the envelopes are clearly marked for the category. No one ever reads the outside of envelopes. How many times do we open our own mail without verifying the "to" address first?

The guy who handed Warren the envelope is the goat. Who was that? He should have been at the microphone taking blame. I assume it was one of the two PWC dudes who had a brain fart.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't know that this is a problem that needs to be solved. This has happened twice in the entire history of the Oscars and once in the last 30 something years?

5. Surfguy

I like the idea but I think the presenters make their remarks and then are joined by a robot on stage that announces the winner.

And, with SkyNet controlling the robot, what could go wrong?

Nick and heypartner like this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

How do you not nominate Rogue One for best picture? Clearly, that was the best movie of 2016.

7. VanityHalfBlack

The 2nd most watched??? Really, wow!!! I thought it was wrestlemania? Movies<Wrestling

8. Fantasma Negro

How the fack did Casey Affleck win? Does anyone actually watch these movie? Manchester by The Sea didn't suck but it was completely blah. Meh at best. Dude is the same from beginning to end and there's no growth, evidence to the fact is that he didn't adopt his nephew at the end. Imo Andrew Garfield should've won for Hacksaw Ridge and if not him then, Denzel and if not Denzel then Dev Patel for Lion but Casey Affleck was literally the most underwhelming of the category and somehow won, it makes no sense.

Plowman likes this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Denzel looked like he was about to cry when Affleck was on the stage and I don't think it was joy for the victor.

DreamShook and Fantasma Negro like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yup yup. I said the same thing. it is the only movie I have watched from the list and i thought it was mehhhh

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  11. Surfguy

I watched the movie over the weekend. I have to say...I was disappointed a bit. There was a single emotional note throughout the whole film. It was just a depressing movie throughout and...you are right...no growth. He basically skirted his responsibilities in the end to get out of town because "he couldn't beat it". I'll give it this....it could have been 2+ hours of someone's real life. But, therein also lies the problem imo. There was really nothing for the audience to journey through other than watching a beaten man plod along for the duration. Every time it seemed he was to turn a corner, he opted out. The problem is we the audience watch movies to be entertained and there was no payoff in this film. You walked away from it feeling pretty much just as empty as when you started. I was waiting for an emotional climax that never happened.

And, I'm not really sold that Casey's acting was that great in it. When you're singing one emotional note through the whole film, then it kind of feels he's going through the motions. We've already seen a side to him like this in other films, e. g. "The Assassination of Jesse James...". It felt a lot like that character to me. I think Casey was born to play depressed and pissed off. I can't decide if it was a great performance or he was mailing it in. It is likely in-between.

I expected more from the film. I didn't get it. But, I also acknowledge they made a decision that this film wasn't going to have any type of happy Hollywood ending. So, I kind of applaud them for that. But, in the end, I just didn't feel very entertained regardless of the performances. It felt like a two hour dribble of depression and one long low. You are right...he basically didn't grow and even gave up. I don't feel better for having seen it. At the end, I didn't feel anything but "meh".

One part kind of summed it up for me...he wouldn't have that emotional conversation with his ex-wife. At that moment, I felt completely robbed in this film.

#151 Surfguy, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  12. VanityHalfBlack

Casey Affleck was accused of sexual assault. Why is he holding an Oscar?

13. Buck Turgidson

Citizen Kane - Original Screenplay.

You still get a cookie because Rear Window is greatness.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As @Surfguy says, Skynet won't fix the problem...even if one exists. What we'd probably have is occasional awkward and annoying delays when the big screen has technical difficulties. Then everyone is staring at each other ... "should I just open the envelope instead now?" ... then bad jokes about technical difficulties ensue.

Opening the envelope is such an embedded part of all awards, it's a freaking historical meme for the ages -- "The envelope please." They even still do it in Mockingjay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, as they say in Mission Impossible...Your job, if you should choose to accept it, is to prevent error using envelopes.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And that "worst case scenario".... would pale in example to what actually happened last night.

I know... no errors (that we know of) like this in over 86 years... but the magnitude of this should be enough to influence some sort of change to the process.[/user]

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Haven't seen Manchester so can't comment specifically, though I would note that even with most great actors/actresses, they usually play the same note. It's rare to find an actor consistently exhibiting a great deal of range, imo.

Another good example which apparently nobody has problems with - Viola Davis. She plays the same character in everything. And then when she wins, you know exactly what kind of speech she'll give.

Denzel certainly falls into this category, too.

It's a tough thing to judge. How to you really separate the actor from their character? To really judge the range they've provide to a character.

BigM likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're talking Worst Case once in 86 years, whereas stupid technical difficulties would probably happen every freaking year -- hell, they listed a living guy as dead on the screen. And technical delays would be really lame. Are you saying you can't solve this using envelopes. I think that's pretty lame.

If you can't solve it with Envelopes being a required must, then I think you're just trying to sound cool, "Let's use technology!!"....and will create annoying problems, such that they'll go back to envelopes eventually, with ppl saying "This technology sucks. Why can't we just go back to envelopes, they were funner, too."

anyhoot, was trying to be funny with the Mockingjay and Skynet stuff. Don't want to derail thread anymore.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Fantasma Negro

It would've been a better film if instead of going back and forth for introspective context, when the movie starts he married,kids are alive and his brother is alive. Then the house fire, then his brother dies, then he tells his nephew he can't beat it and then he kills himself. That would've been worthy of an Oscar imo but if I'm Andrew Garfield, Denzel or Dev Patel I'm pissed off today

19. Buck Turgidson

NFL refs have screwed up the call on coin tosses multiple times. They still use a coin though, not some phone app.

heypartner likes this.
  20. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

uh, look who's in the white house.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.