1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I'm sensing a trend that Kyle Tucker just might be a dominant hitting prospect:cool:

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The only semi-flag i see in his profile is the rise in strikeouts (17.5% in lowA last year --> 24.4% this year) that went along with his power spike (.126 ISO--> .278). It's likely a switch in approach to emphasize power, like Altuve this year, but he just has to be careful and not let it progress. Hopefully he's working on the 0-2 approach too.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems Astros have tried to get guys known for contact prior to acquisition to emphasis power in minors with Fisher, Moran, Bregman, and now Tucker the Younger.

#643 Joe Joe, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. xcrunner51

Yeah, that was one of Luhnow's signs of an undervalued player: contact>power, cold weather guy, baseball bloodlines. The Cardinals had a run where they had a bunch of non-prospects making significant contributions because of an uptick in power.

Colin Moran happened to be all three, but hasn't been able to bring out the power. Conrad Gregor was another contact guy who couldn't up his power and was released from the system this year.

BTW, Fisher was definitely a power>contact guy in college. He never hit .300 in college.

5. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Tyler White is another contact guy that they messed with to sell out for more power.

6. xcrunner51

It's a much bigger deal down the defensive spectrum. A bat-only guy pretty much has to hit for some power to be above average.

Take Yuli for example. He's hitting about as well as can be expected: .329/.354/.481. But he's only tied for 9th among first basemen for WAR.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Here's a nice piece on Corpus pitcher Jacob Dorris.

He never pitched until his junior year of high school and that was because the #1 pitcher was late and got benched.

xcrunner51 likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

At this point, Fresno's definitely looking for anyone to competently fill a rotation spot.

Coleman, who turns 30 on July 3, pitched 3 seasons for the Cubs from 2010-12 and also had a stint with the Royals in 2014.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Strikes me as odd. Sure, there are 5-6 arms on the DL (although only Paulino and Rodgers are SP), but looking at their roster I see plenty of SP:

Martes
    Hauschild
    Frias
    Holmes
    Martinez
    Thornton
    Yuhl

Of course all of those guys except Martes and Thornton have been pretty crummy, so maybe they're about to cut a few of them loose.

10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Luckily we get performance well beyond the norm from typically lighter hitting positions like SS, 2B and CF (and even catcher).

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, he made his name in the Cape Cod League where hit 0.333 with 0 HRs. He wasn't an unknown and power was expected to come, but his ability with making solid contact with wood bats before his junior year is what got him drafted so high.

PS. I could be completely wrong, but this is what my memory says with a quick check on Cape Cod stats that matched my memory.

Edit: don't want it to look like I don't acknowledge the failures. It just seems like something Astros take more risk on than most.

#651 Joe Joe, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  12. xcrunner51

Hmm... didn't know his Cape stats beforehand but that's interesting. He was pretty well known for his power in college, having hit for .219 ISO his freshman year and .190 ISO his sophomore year.

Found this quote on the Rangers SB nation blog after they drafted him in the 6th round in 2011:

That last paragraph hasn't changed in the last 6 years imho.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess is that Astros are either being punks (just denying other contenders crappy arms so they have to use even crappier arms for injury replacement) or Astros trying to keep guys like Martes innings down in case needed by Astros later in season. I favor the latter, but it would be funny if it was the former.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2014/6/5/5784908/astros-2014-comp-pick-profile-derek-fisher-of-virginia

Here's something from CFB that mentions the Cape Cod League. I probably read this back then.

15. xcrunner51

BTW that 2011 Rangers draft was actually really interesting. There's a lot of recognizable names but they absolutely shanked the top rounds.

Zero or near zero WAR from the top 5 rounds.
    Derek Fisher (6th)
    Kyle Hendricks (8th round) threw up a third place Cy-Young season last year... for the Cubs
    Andrew Faulkner (14th) threw two seasons in Rangers bullpen before being traded to the Orioles.
    Jerad Eickhoff (15th) went to Philly in the Hamels deal.
    Ryan Rua (17th) and Nick Martinez (18th) are both on the active Rangers roster.
    Cy Sneed (35th) later drafted by the Brewers and traded to Astros for Villar.
    Brandon Finnegan (45th) went unsigned, played college ball at TCU and got redrafted in the first round by the Royals.
    Carl Edwards Jr. (48th) signed and was traded to the Cubs in the Matt Garza deal.

That's a pretty impressive piece of late round scouting and development. They completely flubbed the top of the draft, but we're probably all happy with that.

Maybe the Astros aren't so special at finding later round ball-players.

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alex Winkelman allowed 2 hits and struck out 5 over 5 shutout innings for Buies Creek.

His fellow Missourian, Dean Deetz, allowed a solo homer to Scott Heineman to lead off Corpus Christi's game with Frisco, which is the only run he's allowed so far in his 5 innings of work. Deetz has also allowed 3 other hits, walked 2, and struck out 4.

17. Buck Turgidson

The Astros periodically have some of their best pitching prospects skip starts in the minors to preserve their innings for later in the season.

With top prospect Francis Martes experiencing what assistant general manager Mike Elias described as "mild abdominal discomfort," the team decided this week's start will be a turn in the Class AAA rotation the touted 21-year-old righthander misses.

Martes, who had been scheduled to make his fourth start for Fresno on Tuesday, won't pitch this week but hasn't been placed on the minor league disabled list and is still working out with the Astros' Class AAA affiliate. He should rejoin Fresno's rotation next week, according to Elias.

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/...-prospect-Francis-Martes-turn-in-11113197.php

Joe Joe likes this.
  18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

D.J. Fisher just smacked his 6th homer for Fresno.

texans1095 and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Deetz is maybe 4-5 more good AA appearances away from establishing himself as a top prospect in my eyes. I hadn't fully bought in, but with 50+ dominant innings in AA plus positive scouting buzz, he will be at least a 50 grade if not a 55 grade prospect to me.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Anyone seen Kent Emanuel pitch this year? He's getting Ks (something he's never done in pro ball well), GBs, and pop ups, and not walking many or giving up an excessive amount of homers, but his ERA in 6. Is this early season randomness or is he just throwing too many strikes in heart of the zone and getting spanked for it?