1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Apple September Event

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

U can apply it to your account or get an Apple gift card. I applied some and also bought 2 Morphie wireless chargers.

mrm32 likes this.
  2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

so apple slows down older iphones making users think that something is wrong with their phone instead of telling them that a battery replacement will solve the issue? how many folks upgraded their phone because of the slowdown?

https://twitter.com/i/moments/943591353891655685

RedRedemption and RKREBORN like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Kind of sh~tty thing to do

Rocket River

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Shitty thing of Apple to do. Probably got shitty ass poseur b****es working there.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Their excuse is reasonable, but its clear its just a convenient happenstance of them carrying out planned obsolescence lol.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I would like Apple to notify the user that the phone CPU is being throttled so they know they probably need to replace their battery.

OmegaSupreme, Sajan and RedRedemption like this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, that's the distinction that makes this completely unethical.

Sajan likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

This. From what I have read it seems like they started doing this because the degraded batteries just couldn't keep up with the processor and these phones were shutting down randomly...say at 40% left. It didnt have anything to do with how much battery charge u had left but the batteries just couldn't get the juice transferred to the cpu fast enough.
    So they intentionally r****ded the cpu demands so it's in line with the battery capability.

a simple warning to the user would have made this more ethical.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Didn’t need for them to admit this to know it was true.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

picked up an X today...whats a good case for this thing?

11. Remix

Remix Member

If you want protection without the bulk https://rhinoshield.io/pages/main-page/Apple?device=iphone-x

Lots of videos on youtube testing the products claim (20 ft drops onto concrete) with the phone coming out unscathed

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

So probably no one will care as this discussion seemed mostly focused on the newest iPhone... but I did buy one of the new Apple TVs a week ago.

Mostly it works really well. I wish WatchNow worked with Netflix, as it seems like it could be a really useful feature. But without Netflix it's kinda pointless. Also not in love with the remote, but it's serviceable.

To my original question about DLNA: I've downloaded two apps that do DLNA: OPlayer and VLC. VLC's features are nice, when it works, which is rarely. More than half the time the app crashes. I had high hopes for OPlayer, since that sucker is absolutely perfect on iPad/iPhone, but I have two problems with it: 1) it has very little space to display filenames, so normally I only see the beginning and tail-end of filenames, 2) the app automatically quits when a file ends, instead of playing next item or going back out to the folder you were just in. Still, I end up using it as my main DLNA solution since VLC crashes so much. Does anyone regularly use a DLNA app around here that's better than these two?

I mean I've heard Plex mentioned, but is that like loading stuff up into cloud? Because I want to just keep stuff on my local network, not upload everything to cloud. Could be I'm misunderstanding Plex.

14. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

nevermind found some

#174 FlyerFanatic, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Going to answer my own question... again. Pretty sure no one will care, but posting this just in case anyone else still uses DLNA as much as I do.

After buying a new smart TV, a Roku Streaming Stick+ and an AppleTV 4K, I've come to the conclusion that modern renderers for home theaters just haven't been keeping up to previously "universal" standards when it comes to DLNA playback, since increasingly all video is being consumed via walled-garden apps (Netflix, Prime, etc). Curiously, OPlayer still works like an absolute dream on my iPad, but no such luck on the Apple TV. No luck on the new SmartTV's native app or on Roku's media player either.

Enter Plex. I'm way late to the party, I know. But I now worship at the altar of Plex. Turns out it DOES do pure DLNA over a home network only, and the over-the-internet playback stuff can be enabled or disabled with a simple toggle. And, the Plex app seems to be on every home theater renderer imaginable. The interface kinda bites on the Roku... much cleaner on the Apple TV, and even saves your place in files you're in the middle of, Netflix-style... but either way it functions for every type of video file I've thrown at it, and is remarkably stable. Add an ethernet TV tuner, and you've turned your computer into an extremely user-friendly DVR as well.

So now, I'm feeling well and truly thrilled with my AppleTV purchase. Woulda been a nice bonus if it also played discs, so it could do EVERYTHING multimedia, but I suppose I'll always have my game systems for that.