1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 26, 2016.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This **** is gonna be 4 hours?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ug, let's get back to Beijing asap.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I disagree that people have lost interest. The London games drew the highest ratings for a non-U.S. Summer Games since '76 and was up 12 percent on Beijing and 26 percent on Athens. True, individual athletes aren't marketed as much anymore. But so many stories present themselves over the course of the games that it doesn't really matter. And these games certainly have drama before the first event was even played. That said I do feel there hasn't been as much hype heading into these games, perhaps because it's been overshadowed by said drama.

Really the problem isn't that it has lost interest, but rather it has become way too big and exorbitant to sustain its current model. Nobody wants to host anymore cause it sends cities into debt, you have to build massive new infrastructure to support the games and venues go unused when the events are done. The myth that the Olympics, under its current model, are an economic boon for a city and ignite tourism has been exposed.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What am I watching.

5. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

They should consider just rotating it among 3 or 4 cities. Athens, Beijing, Los Angeles and possibly Rio (if it goes well) or Sydney. You would only have to upgrade current infrastructure rather than build new ones.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Did we win yet?

7. Beavis Stiffler

This Olympics so far..........

[​IMG]

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I guess I will be that guy... I actually was very impressed with the Rio opening ceremony. Sure, way too long, but for a relatively economically challenged country, what they featured on TV was very entertaining. And just enough "wow" parts to at least compete with some of the more bombastic special events at other games. To me, the slowest part (Giselle walking across that huge stage) was at least beautiful (my gosh she is almost inhuman in her perfection).

The parade of countries always seems slow moving, and has adopted the broader cultural faults of selfies but for most of the countries and athletes its there big moment at the Olympics.

I suspect there will be those that feel there was too much politics (Brazil's emphasis on global warming, ocean rises, deforestation) but those are important issues to Brazil. Ohers may snark about the argument around the first flight.

But with all the challenges going into the games... I was expecting snafus and was expecting to be disappointed. But unless it was masked by NBC's coverage, I thought the opening was very good.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Giselle is essentially a longer female version of her hubby Tom

Look very alike.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

We're only a few hours into competition at the Olympics, and I've already watched men's water polo, road cycling, women's indoor volleyball, and women's rugby, all things I wouldn't normally watch.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, the opening ceremony was pretty lame, but I still love the Olympics. Watch a ton of it every time they come around.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

An article I read mentioned just that, have maybe a host city or two on each continent and rotate. It makes the most sense to for cities with built in infrastructure and facilities to host. The LA games actually boasted a 200+ million dollar surplus, so it is possible for the games to be financially viable.

There definitely was a stark difference between it and Sochi and Beijing, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's really how the games should be, instead of each country trying to outdo each other at each ceremony. The rings at the end forming from the boxes and the cauldron were highlights for me.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Liked the cauldron a lot, it was kinda Tomb Raider like. Did like the Giselle walk. And the refugee team was a good idea. Overall it wasn't great compared to other Olympics, but ok.

I think the guy calling the waterpolo must have loved calling out the name of the Czech goalie, lol, "Biotch" does it again!

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree, the cauldron is impressive

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

NBC Olympics website is a ****show. Half the completed streams don't load, random glitching on their live streams.

Who the **** gave NBC an exclusive deal. :(

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I tried the app for 10 seconds and gave up. Terrible.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Roast Beef playing goalkeeper for the U.S. and A.

If you don't remember, The Fappenning revisited:
    http://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/this-guy-is-really-not-happy-with-hope-solos-vagina-from-the-fappening/

What are they screaming at Solo when she restarts? :grin:

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Clean sheet for Solo, except when it comes to Ben, who probably shouldn't have killed his father.

Janeth Arcain is the mayor of the Olympic Village.

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ive been using the ATT uverse app to watch on my tablet.

The NBC Sports app works well with my phone but the embedded google cast feature doesn't work as well. I cast my phone first then open the NBC Sports app and watch it that way, no problems. the NBC Sports App doesn't work at all with my Tablet .

The Website will stream for awhile then cut out.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching gymnastics I always find it amazing what the human body can do.