1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Guys we should go after Giovanni soto, he would be a great number 2 lefty out of the bullpen.

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Start the game thread.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

And exactly who should be gone in order to sign him?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Carlos Delgado?

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Danny Reynolds, and use him as your second lefty in the bullpen and go with 13 relievers like we did last year, Duffy to the minors. Or, send Feliz to the minors and stretch him to be a starter.

Soto is a very young (24) pitcher, and is very good. He can go more than 1 inning as he was a starter for the majority of his career. He is really good.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If he was that good, why didn't he make the Indians pen and dropped from their 40-man? What do you know that the Indians don't?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hinch says Gregerson will be the primary closer.</p>&mdash; Julia Morales (@JuliaMorales) <a href="https://twitter.com/JuliaMorales/status/716982548103106560">April 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind having him. He generates a lot of groundballs.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

uhh...can we have Appel, Velasquez and Eshelman back please? You can keep Oberholzer, Philly.

Hopefully this is not a sign of something bad with Giles.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

...and the lineup that will have to wait another day:

2B Altuve
    RF Springer
    SS Correa
    LF Rasmus
    CF Gomez
    3B Valbuena
    DH Tucker
    1B Gonzalez
    C Castro
    P Keuchel

#970 J.R., Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  11. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I think this is Hinch respecting his veteran who had a good season last year and was a valuable contributor to a playoff team. He didn't do anything to lose the closer's job. That said, I won't be surprised if Giles is the closer by the end of the season or even the ASB. All it takes is for Gregerson to strain an obilque or something...

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We didn't get Giles to lock down the 9th, we got him so we have 2 guys to lock down the 8th and 9th. Who does which is rather inconsequential to this teams results.

Still a little surprised they gave Gregerson the nod

13. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Really,this is a good problem to have. It will work itself out over the 1st month or so.

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Even though I don't feel Gregerson is the prototypical closer I don't blame Hinch for going with Gregerson to start the season as closer. Giles didn't go out and take that job convincingly in spring training. Hopefully Giles can grab it as season goes on because they need a closer who can miss some bats with his stuff.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Says that they all (players and staff) value the defined roles (hence the announcement).... But I too am surprised.

If the 2004 Astros knew exactly how much better they were going to be with Lidge as closer... And not be compelled to put Dotel in there because of him being the veteran and getting the job via succession... They would have been better off (but perhaps they don't then trade for Beltran).

I still expect Giles to get the job eventually... But it will take somebody failing or getting hurt to make it happen. Props to Hey Now! For calling this pretty early...

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

We're acting like we miss Mark Appel now, or something?

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Funny. On the one hand, ST numbers dont matter. On the other hand, his ST numbers weren't good enough to earn him the closer job.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't think he ever said ST numbers don't matter (though we all believe they don't).

Not do I think he said it was based on his ST #'s that he didn't earn the job. I'd imagine it had a lot to do with how he was pitching. His bullpen sessions. Movement on his pitches. Comfort with Castro. Who knows... but it doesn't have to be just "ST #'s" here

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Organization makes mistakes, remember Johan Santana?

Here we are talking about a 24 year old left handed reliever (he was a starter until 2014).

He has always pitched young to the leagues, and always with success. His K rate is almost 9.

Last year he pitched in the majors for Cleveland.

if there is one thing we lack in our system is left handed pitching, thats why signing Sipp was so important. I think i prefer Soto over Reynolds any day.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He was a starter prior to 2013. In 2015, his K:BB rate was bad in AAA, terrible in Winter League, and non existent for the 13 guys he faced in the majors. His Spring was absolutely awful (as it has been in his very limited past). 2K:6BB in 4.2 IP. Everything is trending down for him.

Johan Santana is a very different situation, but yes mistakes do happen.