1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 1, 2016.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

That is not really the question, is where do we need more this year? We have to develop starters in the minors for this year, why?
    We lost Velasquez, Kazmir, Obe, Appel and McCullers is in DL. Feldman for the past 2 years has missed a lot of time. Fister struggled a lot last year, and has struggled a lot this ST.
    Next up is Wandy Rodriguez, but he started hot last year but finished bad. Feliz has much better stuff and would be a better choice over other pitchers in the organization if we needed a starter in the near future.

If we had Kazmir, VV, Obe and McCullers is healthy, i would agree with you and start Feliz as a reliever, actually, THAT WAS MY POSITION LAST YEAR with Feliz, i wanted him to pitch more out of the bullpen and developed him like Toronto did with Osuna.

But, this year we need him more as a starter than a reliever.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Weren't we just discussing RoyO?

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep... Even though his stint in the bullpen lasted all of 1-2 weeks.

4. juicystream

A full month actually. Feliz would probably be the same way as McCullers is probably replacing the last pitcher on the roster.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not saying you're wrong... But you mostly are. Circuitous and anecdotal logic.

Appel, Obie, and even Kazmir will not be missed from this team. I agree they need more power/k guys in the bullpen. I agree with keeping Feliz where he is to get consistent appearances (unless he can usurp Fields here), but hI'm being in the bullpen here does not eliminate his future career as a possible starter.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, debut was May 6th and started the June 2nd game vs the Dodgers... But he really didn't develop all that much in those 3 or so weeks. More like wasted time.

Still, didn't eliminate him from that future role, which was my point. And he did help the team win some games there (would be even better as a starter).

Feliz would likely get the nod if Fister craps out or Feldman gets hurt again.

#886 Nick, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The pitcher who takes the last spot in the bullpen is only holding that spot until McCullers returns. The Astros know about when McCullers will return, so the Astros will need to weigh the costs of adding the #12 pitcher on the 40 man roster for what might be a very short time.

If the Astros do add Wandy onto the 40 man, they may speak volumes about the current state of the back end rotation.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Feliz is already on the 40 man, which is why it makes some sense.

9. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I disagree with you, those pitchers are going to be missed maybe this year.

Would you prefer Velazquez as your fifth starter over Feldman or Fister? I do.
    Same with Kazmir. Now, with Appel, i don't know yet. Obe, he will not be missed.

Now, without having those options on the team, the next starter from the minors is right now Feliz. With Feldman getting injured so often, and we don't know what we are getting from Fister, we will PROBABLY need another starter at some time this year.

Thats where Feliz could help. He may be our McCullers from this year, he has the stuff, and already had some limited experience in the majors last year.

I can easily see Feliz pitching THIS YEAR in the majors AS A STARTER.
    Meaning, we need to develop his arm to help the rotation at any moment in the majors, and he will not do that pitching as a reliever instead of starting in the minors until his time is up.

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Agree, and thats why Feliz will help us more pitching in the minors as a starter and not in the majors as a reliever.

If something happen the next men up is Wandy, and i don't trust him.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

:(
    A month of relieving in the big leagues will not kill his arm. And it may just win the team a few games and he still may learn something from it.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It won't be a month of relieving if he can help the Astros win a few games. Astros pen is fresh. He only makes the team if he's going to pitch.

As the Astros are considering him for the pen, it likely means one of two things: Feliz is far enough along in his development that he can refine pitches in MLB pen, or the Astros are pretty close to giving up on him as a starter. If he makes the team, I would expect someone else to leave active roster when LMJ comes back.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

See Oswalt's 2001 debut as to how he could possibly help in a non-defined bullpen role... and still end up starting.

As of now, he could be the 6th inning guy (Fields role) and still pitch somewhat regularly.

I think you're reading too much into it by pigeon-holing him into just those two possibilities.... and you have to agree that there is a benefit to remaining on the MLB team (as it comes to development) vs. facing inferior or never-will-be competition at AAA.

And when LMJ comes back, the player leaving the roster will be the one with options.

14. juicystream

I'm assuming they announce the roster today or tomorrow. I still expect Wandy and Duffy to be the guys.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

See part of my post about being far enough in development that pitches can be refined in MLB pen. That easily applies to Oswalt.
    If Feliz is on team, it is because he can help them win games now and probably doesn't need much refinement in minors for whatever role the Astros currently see him. I don't see guy how saying a guy is close to ready for majors as pigeon-holing him. I suspect the Astros are debating internally on whether he needs more development time in minors or not to help the Astros the most. If he's on the roster opening day, it is to pitch and win games. If he pitches and wins games, options be damned (except maybe to get rest here and there)...he's going to continue to pitch and win games.

#895 Joe Joe, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, with him set to start AAA, you'd presume that there isn't some major work left to be done.

So yes, I'd rather have him work with MLB pitching coaches, and talk shop with other MLB pitchers, and have him do work as needed there.

And if there is major work to be done, you find that out pretty quickly in the big leagues... and he gets sent down to work on it. Its not complicated.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Feliz would also have an innings limit

Easier to limit early in pen as opposed to starts at AAA

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree. I don't see where you are disagreeing with me even though it sounds like you are disagreeing with me. You implied he would only be in majors for a month and he could win some games. I'm just saying it won't only be a month in majors for Feliz if he's winning games and that if he's in majors, the Astros expect him to help (i.e. he is expected to not need more time in minors). Sure if he doesn't help, he goes down...but my response was directed at the scenario assuming he is in majors opening day and he is helping win games.

Edit: I should add, my view would be different for say Martes who could likely help some in pen now, but he likely needs more time throwing secondary stuff in the minors. He should be help a lot more in the future with added development.

#898 Joe Joe, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He already pitched about 120 innings last year...so the limit this year would be about 150 innings if Astros are strict on innings limit (I suspect Astros have some type of monitoring program that could shutdown a guy before or maybe give him a few after an innings limit). That's probably not that difficult to limit in either place assuming he doesn't pull a LMJ.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Sure there are many ways to limit innings

Since they started his arb clock last year by using him a little, I think if they feel he can help the team win now he will be in the pen, which would also help limit innings early. If they don't think he is better than other options, he will go to AAA and start.

They aren't going to base all decisions on what's beat down the road. Potential studs that will be considered I'm sure, but most of these decisions will be made on winning the division