1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Dude, Samsung is far from done over this. Battery malfunctions are a lot more common than you realize. The Galaxy series is the flagship phone for Android. I will continue to buy them. And so will everyone else who appreciates the Galaxy line. If the Galaxy line starts releasing phones with no upgrade from its previous version (see iPhone 7) and the quality goes downhill, customers will start start abandoning them. However Samsung is consistently innovating and being a leader in the industry.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

No I'm pretty sure the sprint 6 was crippled. The Verizon one was the one that worked FULLY on att and T-Mobile. Sprint one worked on att and T-Mobile but not with full bands. I researched it before I bought my wife the Verizon one to use on T-Mobile.l
    I think it was the Verizon one that is fully compatible on Verizon, att and T-Mobile. Sprint had some compatibility but not full if I remember correctly, but the point is Apple brought it with the 6s with one model for all carriers but then went away with it for some reason.

3. BiGGieStuFF

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I actually recall this myself, however I can not find any tech specs to state otherwise. The 6s had different flavors, with the CDMA version crippled. I do remember a Sprint version had a special TD-LTE chip only used by them and Softbank for their phone. However I have slept since then and my memory has dropped it.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Here are the specs for the iphone 6. Sprint shared the same model as the "global variant" (a1586 for the 6 and a1524 for the plus) that was sold in most countries outside the US.

http://www.apple.com/il/iphone-6/specs/

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)
    TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)

The only differences that even existed in the 6 was that Verizon got CDMA support and AT&T/TMobile didn't. Otherwise their models were identical. There haven't been "crippled" models in years since all CDMA phones require full GSM support for roaming. Sprint's problem was that they didn't unlock phones until the iphone 6 so you really didn't have an option to switch carriers.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Battery, battery, battery.

Price, price, price.

Plus moto mods are sweet.

We're getting to a point where the specs difference between Flagship Phone X and Budget Phone Y are so minuscule they are basically unnoticeable to anybody who isn't in the top percentile of power users.

If I can save $400 and get an extra 5+ hours of battery life while getting the same experience, why not save the money?

7. BiGGieStuFF

You're absolutely right.

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

definitely wouldn't call it the same experience considering every company has a different take on android. but yeah, moto didn't stay too far from stock android at all. also i agree about the battery. everyone i've talked to says it's the best on any android phone. i considered this phone for a while.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

naw, they are the only carrier channel that is selling it, Google and soon to be Amazon will be selling unlock versions of both phones

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm talking experience in terms of specs/performance.

In terms of operating system, at worst you just want a provider that doesn't get in the way of the phone, at best you can get some extra/cool features. Moto did a good job appending their flavors onto Android without screwing up the UI.

Anybody have any tips on how to upgrade early with Verizon? I'm on a 2 year contract that ends in November, but I want to go to the Edge plan thingamajig.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. OmegaSupreme

gotcha... and i agree. moto of OEMs.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Here's a good question, who actually has good data signal inside Toyota Center? I've had ATT, Cricket, MetroPCS, and Verizon, only Verizon had coverage where I can upload to my social media accounts.

Their public wifi used to be good but now sucks, was able to connect to the media wifi access but that sucks even more now.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

14. hlcc

hlcc Member

The crazy Samsung fanboys are going into full defensive mode right now. They are either suggesting that this victim in Taiwan & the one on that Southwest flight are some kind of Apple, LG, HTC etc employee trying to ruin Samsung's good name by sabotaging their phone or trying to deflect by bring up articles of other phones catching on fire (while conveniently ignoring the fact that most of the other fire cases are due to physical damage, faulty charger etc and the the Note 7 a brand spanking new product is catching on fire at a far far greater rate)

The level of brand loyalty that some people exhibit is just insane

15. OmegaSupreme

a rumor with not enough proof that they require to write about in their tech blog, so an editor at androidcentral dot com posted it to his personal twitter:

note 7, v20, and pixel xl all cost roughly the same. can't really go wrong with the last two. the first... well, you know. had a hard time justifying a phone at that cost, but if you're using att next, then...

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I agree. Although I am almost 100% they are going to fold the Note line into Galaxy line for good now.
    So their two flagships will be The Galaxy S8 + the Galaxy S8 Edge with a Stylus option.

Maybe just maybe they will bring removable batteries back too, but doubtful since they want to maintain the waterproof functionality.

17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I have an Galaxy S5. Its water "resistant" ( as much as the current S7) and is battery removable. So it's still possible

18. BiGGieStuFF

I might be tempted to get one if there is a fire sale. Pun intended

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So much for the Galaxy Note line. In the end, Apple wins, not like Samsung was ever a serious threat to them.