1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Price seems a bit steep compared to what I've been used to paying for Nexus devices.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

That is about the only thing that makes the pre-order price worth it, sadly.

My Note 4 is 2.5 years old and will probably crap out soon, hoping Google's new line would be a nice upgrade. Nope. Well, at least not at the price point.

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

google fi piggybacks off att,sprint and us cellular towers. nor does it have any unlimited plans. so that wouldn't be a strong angle to push. don't think they are trying to compete there. i think their strategy is basically anyone whos tired of apple or doesn't want their phone to blow up, well how about this big brand name thingy. but obviously they won't overtake the major 2 anytime soon.

i ended up grabbing the blue version. coming from the 5x, i wanted an upgrade. 2GB ram just was not enough as the phone would get laggy at times. with all the timely updates I would get on the Nexus (stock user), its hard to go back to any other android phone. and free vr set? easy choice for me.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think you meant T-Mobile. It doesn't use AT&T's network IIRC.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If I wanted an iPhone, I'd buy one.

I do want daydream though.

6. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Does anyone know how to unlock an iPhone 6 from Sprint to work on T-Mobile?

Probably not thread worthy so I decided to post this question on here.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I believe that isn't possible because Sprint uses CDMA and T-Mobile is GSM.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It'll work just fine. They've been packaging GSM modems onto Sprint and Verizon models for a few generations now. Until recently I had an unlocked Verizon iphone 5s that I used on AT&T and TMobile. The 6 series actually had a combined GSM/CDMA modem on all devices. In fact, the Sprint model technically has the most coverage since it includes the TDD-LTE bands that are used by Sprint and some Asian carriers.

With the iphone 7, the CDMA models have the combined qualcomm modem but the GSM models have Intel GSM only antennas.

9. DonnyMost

Very cool. I've never had to worry about jumping networks so I haven't kept up with the tech as much. Good to hear!

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

specifically for the iphone 6, I believe the sprint model doesn't have all the bands for full compatibility for t-mobile and at&t. I think one model to cover them all started with the 6s but died with the 7. That was disappointing but it's not like my wife has 2 sims like myself to jump back and forth. I'm hoping Google stuck with the same tech as the n6, 6p, and 5x and has one model to work on all carriers with the PIXEL.

11. DonnyMost

Just went to go play around with a Z Play. Definitely sold on it as my next phone. Unfortunately I have to wait until late November :(

Not sure I'm going to be able to deal with the battery extension/add-on thing, as it may make the phone enormous, but hopefully the standard battery life holds out until I'm ready to upgrade again.

#371 DonnyMost, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe you are correct in that the iPhone 6 Sprint version was crippled.

iPhone 7 has 6 models. 3 for the standard iPhone 7 and 3 for the iPhone 7 plus.

1 model is a full global phone
    1 model is a GSM only phone
    1 model is a full global phone with additional pay system designed for Japan's market only.

I am not sure why anyone would go with a GSM model only. Outside of carrier control, all I can think of is power consumption advantages.

Most top end phones are world phones now that support all bands...which is why I find it ridiculous of apple to offer a GSM only version.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

14. trustme

trustme Member

It's one phone. And something about it just seems fishy.

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

#375 hlcc, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Next we'll hear that Westworld hosts explode while having sex with them!

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Just curious....why the Z Play?

19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait. Is Pixel only on Verizon? That seems very short sigthed.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Actually the opposite is true for the iphone 6. The Sprint model has the highest level of compatibility. The CDMA versions have GSM antennas for roaming purposes and on top of that Sprint uses TD-LTE which is also used in China. As a result, Apple created a weird hybrid iphone that supports CDMA (for Sprint), GSM (for China Mobile), TD-SCMA 3G (for China Mobile), global LTE bands (common on all iphones) and TD-LTE (for Sprint and China Mobile)

They did it differently with the 6s and created a common sku for Verizon/Sprint/Tmobile while adding Band 30 for AT&T. The 6s has common GSM/CDMA compatibility on all versions of the phone.

The iphone 7 got weird again because Apple dual sourced the modem. GSM phones are a mix of Intel and Qualcomm modems and since Intel only supports GSM, there's no CDMA on the AT&T/TMobile versions while Verizon and Sprint have Qualcomm modems since they require GSM for roaming.

Nowadays you almost always will find GSM antennas on CDMA phones. They need GSM for roaming internationally since CDMA is basically dead outside the US.