1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Can't wait!

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No water resistance for the Pixel :(

It's getting harder and harder to justify the Pixel over the Samsung Edge for me.
    • No water resistance
    • No 1440p screen
    • No wireless charging
    • smaller battery
    • thicker
    • no SD card
    • same price
    Granted some of that might change... but damn, don't make me renew with Verizon, Google!

ubigred likes this.
  3. ItsMyFault

The price is coming up pretty high according to the rumors, or at least higher than I though it would be. One feature I really wanted back was wireless charging. It's going to be hard to justify me giving up the 6P because I love the phone a lot.

4. DonnyMost

It doesn't sound like this phone is going to be a significant upgrade over the 6P. Ride that pony as far as it'll take you.

5. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Has it been confirmed that there's no External SD card?

6. ItsMyFault

External SD is probably the last thing Google would do from that list. That's the one thing that's been pretty consistent among Nexus devices.

7. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pixel or pixel xl? xl has the 1440 screen. not sure about the wireless charging since half of the back is glass. when is the edge going to get nougat? your paying for the most fluid android experience, timely updates, and support.

8. DonnyMost

Timely updates until when.....? Support until when....?

That's the other problem. How long until they cut support? 2 years?

9. OmegaSupreme

two years for updates is standard for pretty much any flagship android phone. hardware warranty for any android phone (unless you have nexus protect) is one year. it's been that way for both since... forever? that's not really a new thing. "support" as in your phone looking at you the wrong way and having the ability to have a replacement the next day with zero hassle (when purchased directly through google anyway).

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pixel seems incredibly overpriced for its features, I bought the Honor 8 and am incredibly satisfied.
    Honestly seems like the best bang for your buck right now, the specs are great for the price and EMUI is better than Stock Android, adding a ton of intuitive and detailed features.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Looking for a phone that will run on ATT network for under $400. I don't need the best, but want near flagship quality.

Currently have a Oneplus One. I'd like to buy within two weeks.

I don't think I trust Oneplus, so that rules out the Oneplus 3.

I don't know if I can find the Axon 7 in time. It's probably my top choice. I don't know about it's camera, though, which I'd like a nice camera.

The Moto X Pure looks appetizing, but I don't know how long it'll get support.

Any good options I'm missing?

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I don't have any advice for a phone but if you're on AT&T and getting a new phone of "flagship" quality, make sure it's going to support Band 29 and Band 30 for LTE.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Thanks for that.

I'm on Cricket, but technically AT&T.

14. Two Sandwiches

I ordered the Axon 7 from Newegg.

It says in stock, but I'm skeptical. If I don't receive a shipment notice before vacation, I may cancel and order later

Edit: Amazon shows 3-5 weeks for processing, so I was nervous I wouldn't get it in time. Newegg shows in stock, so I ordered from them. Ordered last night with second day shipping to make sure. About 12 hours later, the phone is at my local UPS waiting for shipment tomorrow. Crazy.

#314 Two Sandwiches, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

16. TMac'n

17. OmegaSupreme

came to say almost the same. it looks like a smartphone.

interested to how pricing will align with storage and if there are any bundles (pixel watch, vr daydream headset, etc). not ready to shame google just yet until i get those two things, what's going on with software, and how andromeda ties in... if at all.

edit: on a side note... i wish xiaomi would come stateside with proper band support.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'll take a recommendation please: Wife drives a Hyundai that will accept Android Auto. But her old LG does not have Android 5 or better so I want to upgrade her so she can use android auto. She is no spec hound but she probably does want a decent camera. Would like to buy something used for under $200 (?)

I don't see much difference in alll those phones, should I get a Nexus for the updates?
    Are there $200 phones out there at Walmart I should look at. I'm planning on buying off Amazon or Swappa.

19. Two Sandwiches

Got my Axon 7 today. Literally just loading it up now. Haven't put my SIM card in yet, but seems nice.

20. TMac'n

Honestly don't care for anything extra, I just want a phone so price is important.

But I absolutely get your point, would be nice especially with Samsung offering VR wit their phones. But it's not necessary for me