1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Quite possibly. But then possibly not as well. I mean there is definitely logic behind your reasoning why his price tag won't be low. But the Dodgers apparently made it abundantly clear to teams that Puig was available, and none of the other 29 teams bit. They also told Puig that he would either get traded or demoted, again from reports (I suppose we should take all sports "journalists" with a grain of salt). I also can't see sending a guy down to the minors boosting his trade value. I think they are done with him, and ready to dump him and move on. I also think Luhnow and the front office would value Puig quite highly. But you are right, the Dodgers theoretically, should NOT give up on him, he's still only 25!

2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Mazara has an ops below 700 for the last two and a half months. He is a good prospect, but a below average major leaguer at the moment. Gallo is a poor man's chris carter.

3. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Any potential waiver trades the Astros could be looking at? A name I saw that makes sense is Nick Markakis who has a slightly bloated contract till next year but is hitting much better as of late. Could be in RF with Springer in CF.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Supposedly, they tried hard to move him, and couldn't. I'd be interested, but I don't see it happening.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

If things don't turn soon, we need to look at trading Valbuena and Neshek for prospects. I think Valbuena could net a good return.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Neshek would be a salary dump and Valbuena is unlikely to get very far through waivers. I think it will be hard to work a trade for either. Although I wouldn't mind seeing some salary dumps (Gomez, Rasmus, Neshek) to open up spots for younger players who might be counted on to contribute next season.

7. Airdough

Airdough Member

Neshek is performing really well, he's not a salary dump. The interesting people to watch on Waivers are Shields, Fraizer, Braun, Puig, and Volquez.

8. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Can't trade a player on the 15 day and with the way the 5-9 of the lineup is performing trading one of the hottest hitters in baseball would not be worth it

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Yup. each of those players will probably get claimed, but I wouldn't be surprised if those clubs opted to trade in the offseason. I think Grienke, Santana (MIN), Sabathia, Kennedy (KC), Axford, A-Rod, and Cozart are also players to watch.

I don't expect us to make a major move through waivers. Hopefully YG will pump some much-needed life in this offense.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If they expect to sign Lourdes Gurriel and think he will be ready for the majors in 2017, I think their offense is relatively set, other than possibly resigning Castro and maybe bringing in a full time DH.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Valbuena nor Neshek would ever make it through waivers.

12. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

I'm ready to move on without Castro. Sure, he's a fairly good backstop - but I'm tired of watching him bark at the umpire each time he strikes out. The ball can be down the middle of the plate and, without fail - there he goes again complaining. Cannot be beneficial for the pitching staff.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Still will be well below average offensively in lf, cf, 1b. Lunhow needs to add atleast 2 major league bats this winter

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Castro and Gattis can be a very productive tandem at catcher, and considering the lack of options available both in trade and free agency, if Castro is willing to accept a 2-3 year deal for a reasonable amount (say $8M/yr or less). If a team out there loves him and wants to give him 4 years or $30M+, let him walk and roll with Heineman.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I would move on pass castro. Offense has too much dead weight. Rather go after Lucroy with gattis backing him up

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Lucroy isn't going to be available until after 2017.

As long as there are upgrades to 1B, CF, LF, and DH, I can live with Castro and Gattis.

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Gattis doesn't provide enough offense to make up for his poor defense. I'd actually prefer to primarily utilize Castro.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The front office obviously has faith in Reed (1B) and Bregman (OF), and if they sign Lourdes Gurriel and expect him to be ready in short order, he will also play OF. This would be the projected roster:

C Gattis average
    1B Reed unknown
    2B Altuve elite
    SS Correa elite
    3B Y. Gurriel unknown
    RF Springer elite
    CF L. Gurriel unknown
    LF Bregman unknown

To me, if there's any hole, it's at DH, where they currently would probably go with some combo of fringy/failed prospects like Tucker, Singleton, Moran, White, etc along with Gattis.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Valbuena and Neshek for Puig? Could that work?

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

they're not going to let Puig go for 2 FA-to-be veterans. Turner is handling 3rd pretty damn well over there.