1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sigh; all that and all we are going to talk about is Hughes? ****.

My line of thinking in putting Hughes on the list would be that he could be had for nothing and allow the Astros to shop one of their other SP (McHugh, Fiers, Fister) to add prospects or add a different star player, with the upside being that Hughes slots into the BoR next year and returns to his 2014 form when he was a stud. He's been worth 17.7 fWAR over 1200 IP in his career, a pretty damn good resume for a guy just about to turn 30, and who even when "terrible", was still above replacement level.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am glad that you agree with me that it is extremely unlikely that Trout gets traded which is exactly what this ray of sunshine said.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He was pulled from the rotation in Minnesota, one of the worst teams in baseball. Wasn't particularly good last year either.

Sorry man, but there is no way I would want to add him to our rotation. And certainly no way I would want to shop Fister who has been as good as anyone for us this year.

And even if something happened to one (or more) of our starters, i'd much rather have Devenski, Rodgers, Musgrove in there than Hughes. And if you want to talk about BoR for next year, i'd certainly rather have one of those guys and can add Feliz possibly to the mix.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That's a valid opinion. I'm not on some stump for Hughes, it was an off the cuff idea. Adding Hughes would only have been a good idea if Minnesota was going to give him away and if Houston thought he had a chance of returning to form. Since he is seriously injured it's a moot point.

5. The Beard

The interesting guy on your twins list is Mauer, would be exactly the "type" of bat that we could use. I just can't imagine he ever plays a game in anything but a Twins uniform though

A Valencia/Gray package from Oakland would be nice, but wouldn't likely get done with Gray in it without putting Bregman in there, and that would be a no go to me

I still don't think it would take much in the way of prospects to get Braun from Milwaukee, if we were willing to pay the contract

6. bobrek

After this season, Mauer is still owed $46 million for the next 2 seasons. Mauer is not as popular in Minnesota as (for example) Bagwell and Biggio were in Houston. He is oftentimes seen as a guy holding the Twins back due to his horrific contract.

The Twins rebuild has not gone as well as the Astros. Buxton has yet to show much offensively and his speed saves him on defense (seems to take bad routes to balls). Sano can hit, but he is a liability on defense. Not sure why they signed Park. Their pitching staff is in disarray. They have no closer with Perkins out for the year and no one has stepped up.

Also Mauer is NOT seen as a vocal clubhouse leader. I specifically asked that question before the season to a panel that included Roy Smalley and a few other Twins 'insiders'. Their response, to a man, was 'that is not the kind of person Mauer is'.

So, all that being said, I am sure Mauer could be had, especially if the receiving team takes on his contract. I don't see the Twins contributing much towards it unless it is a huge haul of prospects.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Short of moving a package of McCullers and one of Reed/Bregman, I don't see the Astros getting an impact player with the collection of players you named.

I'd love a relative low buy on Sonny Gray or Chris Archer but those teams are too smart to settle for spare parts.

8. The Beard

How about Mauer himself? He has no trade rights, at this point in his career/life would he be willing to move to Houston?

Also I was thinking next year was the last on his contract. Would be a bit surprising to see the front office take on two more years when we have Reed so close to the majors. But, Mauer is the high contact high on base guy that could certainly help us, and while it seems he should be older, he is only 33. So obviously not in his prime anymore, but it's not like his type of offensive game shouldn't hang on another couple of years.

I wouldn't give up a lot for him, but if the cost was basically just taking the contract, i'd be all over that

9. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I think Braun and Longoria are two guys on that list that could be had for a lower price and could turn our lineup into a more consistent, dynamic lineup. You put Longoria or Braun behind Correa and hope Gomez can continue his resurgence, while still having Reed/Bregman, and I think we could do some damage. I'd also be interested in signing Reddick in offseason and moving Springer to CF. I understand Longoria could be a rental, but if we're in the WC hunt I'm for them taking a shot. Braun though, despite his baggage and length of contract, is the type of elite veteran this team could really use.

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Why do we want a 3b when we have Valbuena having a nice year, and Bregman for next year? And Moran who looks like a good player?

Now, Braun is an interesting option as he is hitting .312 with an OPS over .900, but what can we give?
    I think it will cost us guys like Tucker, Moran and Musgrove. Now, the lineup would be interesting.

11. Rox225

Longoria, if the price is right, is a way better option behind Correa. Valbuena is playing well right now, but we all know he's streaky. I also said that I know he could be a rental, so it's a move you only do if we are fighting for a playoff spot. You could still use Valbuena/Marwin at first until Reed is ready. At end of the day, a Springer/Marwin/Altuve/Correa/Longoria lineup is way better than having Valbuena in place of Longoria.

12. The Beard

Longoria would be the perfect rental depending on the cost. Having Bregman waiting in the wings there getting a guy like him would be a great fit for the rest of the year. Longoria is having the best year of his career right now too.

Probably need Tampa to have a poor next few weeks to make sure they are out of the running for a wild card, and they would very likely be looking to move him.

Would also add some depth to the lineup. It would allow Marwin and Valbuena to platoon at 1B until the decision to bring up Reed is made. Both have good splits in a platoon, and vs LHP Worth could DH and Gattis catch.

Wonder what the cost would be in prospects, wouldn't want to give up any of our top 6-8 guys and doubt we could make it happen without at least one of them in a deal

13. Rox225

Would you do Moran and another lower prospect? If Bregman/Correa are our 3B players of the future, why hold onto Moran.? Unless of course we use him to nab another player who is long term.

14. hhh345

hhh345 Member

I think Evan Longoria still has a few years on his contract and would not be a rental but can be an ideal player in this lineup and bregman can probably play in the outfield next year with gomez and rasmus both being free agents.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Not wanting Evan Longoria because we have Luis Valbuena is quite possibly the worst take I've ever read on this site.

I would love Longo is this lineup, both this year and years to come. Could easily slot over to 1B or DH. Has a reasonable contract. Would be the ideal #2 or #5 hitter for us. What a lethal professional hitter.

16. Rox225

You are right. Didn't know he signed an extension that added 6 years to his contract. That changes the price for sure.

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Longo would be a monster on the Astros, and a major upgrade!

18. bobrek

You know....I was going to specifically mention Mauer's 10/5 rights and forgot. He probably would not 'want' to leave.

19. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Not if we have Bregman for next year, plus we are going to give the farm to acquire him.

And is not because we have Valbuena as we can move him to 1b, but we have our best minor leaguer who will play that position, and Moran who is almost ready.

Is like last year, why give so much for a cfer? We did not needed him. And now look at us. Last year we needed a closer and we got a cf. This year we need more a 1b, lf, dh and number 1 starter, not really a 3b.

20. The Beard

Yea I would do that without thinking twice. If they make him available though, I have to think they would have better offers