1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you're assuming Gray is a true ace. He had a rough start to this year just like Keuchel. His FIP and xFIP were 3.5 last year and the year before. His K rate is mediocre, and his BB rate has always been a little high (even ignoring this year).

I had questions about him coming into this year, and his rough start didn't help answer them at all (or maybe they did?). I'd have reservations about trading for him, especially if he was supposed to anchor the staff a la Hamels / Felix before this yera / Scherzer / Stras / etc. And if you trade that much young pitching talent, you need to be sure he's that guy

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would be more worried about him if there hadn't been an injury. In two starts (yes incredibly small sample) since he came back healthy, he has looked liked the past couple of years.

Agree you need to be sure if you give up that much young pitching talent, but what are the chances that any of Martes, Musgrove, Paulino turn into a Sonny Gray?

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Regardless of the chances, I would rather add a little more to that deal to get a Fernandez or whoever is like him on the market. Or take away some and go after Teheran or someone at that level.

Yeah 2 starts...give me more time before I put any trust in it. 1 was against a bottom of the barrel team (CIN), and in each he only walked 1...that will go up regardless.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The A's will want more than that IMO.

5. The Beard

Possibly, and if they do I would kindly move on

Their pitching prospects are bare though, so might be worth a shot

6. HstnSprtsFan101

Bring Jay Bruce home. He's having a great year. Signed thru next yr.

7. Buck Turgidson

Any major trade ideas that do not involve a front line starter are a waste of time.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They need both (a starter and offense) - but I don't know if one outranks the other.

This is an abysmal line-up, with far too many outs and not enough balance. They HAVE to find guys who can get on base with some consistency - especially with Correa struggling. Right now, Jose Altuve is the only hitter who shows up on any given night.

9. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Let's take 3 from the reds and get to .500!!

10. The Beard

Come on man, the dramatization of how bad we are is a bit crazy don't you think?

Abysmal line-up? In reality we are middle of the pack in offense. Not what any of us want, but hardly abysmal

Altuve is the only hitter who shows up? Springer says Hi. Only 5 everyday catchers have a higher OPS than Castro

The lineup could certainly use a couple of consistent bats in it, but dang man we could be at .500 by Sunday and it's not on the back of our front end starters

1 person likes this.
  11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He did qualify that with "right now". Springer is hitting below .200 and below .700 OPS in June. Same with Castro. Same with Gattis.

EDIT - on the other hand, Correa is not struggling in June with his .800+ OPS.

#71 bobrek, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  12. The Beard

ok man, we are abysmal then :confused:

guess it's time to be sellers and see what we can get for the veterans :cool:

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know you are being sarcastic, but considering Rasmus and Gregerson have been the best veterans (i.e. guys that hadn't reached 6 full season by start of the season unless I am overlooking someone) this season and it seems the perception is that these guys are abysmal....I don't think many here would have a problem dealing veterans.

For me, Rasmus is the only veteran that I think would be a big drop in talent if they went to the minors for a replacement. Mostly, I don't think much of the veterans.

14. Nook

Nook Member

At this point I do not care if they choose to be sellers or stand pat with a trade or two that do not involve moving any major prospects.

I would be fine moving Gregerson, Rasmus and/or Castro.

Most of the improvement the Astros make is likely to be from internal improvement and prospects.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Freeman for Reed, Martes, Cameron, and P Tucker
    Braun for Fisher, Abreu, and Singleton (those are all guys acquired when Stearns was with Houston)
    Gray for K Tucker, Paulino, Fiers, and Devenski (Beane smart/dumb enough to buy into Fiers as a real value play)
    Trade Valbuena, Gomez, Neshek, and Feldman for a handful of prospects to help restock
    Extend Castro
    Sign Aroldis Chapman this offseason

2017 roster:
    RF Springer
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Freeman
    LF Braun
    C Gattis/Castro
    3B Bregman/Moran
    DH White
    CF Marisnick/Kemp
    UT Marwin

Rotation: Gray, Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, Feliz
    Bullpen: Rodgers, Devenski, Sipp, Gregerson, Giles, Harris, Chapman

Top 10 prospects:
    1. Bregman
    2. Whitley
    3. Musgrove
    4. Dawson
    5. Perez
    6. Davis
    7. Teoscar
    8. Rogers
    9. Sneed
    10. Ferrell

1 person likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

1. ATL has said many times they are not moving Freeman as part of their rebuild. They seem adamant about keeping him. Personally, I don't really want Freeman, but to each his own.

2. I don't think that's enough to land Braun. I like the idea of acquiring him, but I think the market will dictate a higher price than that...Braun is producing at a very high level right now, I would think a package for Braun would have to include some combination of Martes/Paulino/Musgrove + Fisher + another top 10 talent + a flier like Abreu

17. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

im not even sure if I would give that up for freeman. I would rather see what we have in reed than getting freeman and giving up reed, a potential ace in martes and daz.

18. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

stearns would laugh at that offer if we made it for braun. like you said, he knows our system a lot. to get braun, reed would have to at least be the centerpiece.

19. The Beard

was completely sarcastic.....I mean if we are out of it at the trade deadline, then yea there are pieces i'd be willing to move....but I think the Rangers series is still having an affect on how we are viewing our own team. April was terrible..since the end of April, top teams in the AL

Texas 27-15
    Toronto 26-17
    Houston 25-18
    Cleveland 25-19
    Boston 23-17

So for the past 6 weeks we have the third best record in the AL, and this is without any players on the team who I would look at and say "man there is no way he keeps this up". Truth is, a majority of them are playing under expectations, and yet we are right there.

I don't think it would take much to make us a solid playoff team

20. The Beard

Agree on Freeman, they would have to be offered a package they just couldn't say no to

I think that would land Braun, simply because of the salary/age/injury history. If they could get a package like that I think they would bite