1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The last part is the key. There have been rumblings about his hand injury last year and that it is a recurring one. It was mentioned in spring training and especially during his struggles, despite the fact that he denied it.

When I look at a guy like AJ Pollock whose elbow injuries have derailed multiple seasons in a young career, I get worried (even if it's totally unrelated and a different injury...it's an arm thing that showed up multiple times after the first injury).

If our docs can completely clear him, I'd be interested. And yes, I think the prospect vs. $ ratio is definitely in play. I'd give up a bit more from a still-deep system to pay less on the contract.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Braves are on pace to win 46 games this year (not a typo: 46!) after losing 97 last year. They are (probably) not two years away from being competitive. Jettisoning $118.5MM for a top-50 prospect and 1 or two other lower levels prospects likely looks pretty good to them right now.

3. Hey Now!

What are the specific details, re: trades + physicals? Obviously, there's a window available to the team to run the acquired player through their medical system - but what is it?

4. kaleidosky

I didn't find the details--but I did find that during the Matt Kemp trade to the Padres and subsequent holdup, it was written that (1) the trade was agreed upon, (2) the physical was performed, and only then (3) the clock started ticking after that physical. They had 2 days from that point to decide.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Maybe, but if the GM is saying that after these two terrible years they are still 4-5 years away, he probably won't have his job long enough to see the prospects he would get.

They have a few prospects that are ranked in the same range as Bregman in Swanson, Albies and Newcomb, and all of those guys should be here by next year. Teheran is 25 years old and leads the rotation. If Wisler improves, with Newcomb, Blair and Allard on the way, they have some high upside arms that should be there soon.

So, in THEIR eyes, moving into a new stadium, it's perfectly acceptable to think they might want guys like Freeman and Teheran around to lead the even younger guys as they go through their rebuild. Especially as they move into a new stadium, they would probably prefer to take a bit of a step forward next year, as opposed to yet another step backwards. Not everyone is going to go completely rock bottom as we did in our rebuild.

I would ask on Freeman, heck i'd ask on Teheran, but I wouldn't expect the Braves to be sitting there just trying to shed themselves of salary, it would have to be a package that makes them say "damn, we can't turn that down"

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I view the Braves. Sure kick the tires, but I don't see good MLB players under club control/decent contract being traded for prospects that aren't Top 10-20 (Reed has dropped some most likely this year) unless a team just overpays with sheer quantity. Freeman is on a decent contract.

Braves should have traded him this offseason if they were going to deal him. They can stomach one more year of his salary (right now their roster next year projects into the 70 million range) before they expect to be fielding an MLB team.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If this teamessage really thinks they can compete this season, I really wouldn't mind seeing them go get Carlos Beltran again. He would be the perfect answer for the DH spot this season.

That would allow them to platoon Gattis and Castro without hurting their DH spot as well.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yankees currently ahead of the Astros in the WC standings....

9. Hey Now!

I don't know about decent... it crosses (and then stays above for the next five seasons) the $20MM/year threshold next year. I don't know when the Braves can realistically expect to be a competitive team (again, they're on pace to win 46 games this year) - but it's *at least* two years away, right? If so, they'll be paying him nearly $50MM (if we prorate this year's remaining salary, ~$8MM) to be the best player on a bad team. And then they'll still owe him $65MM.

ETA (And, generally speaking - I have no insight on Freeman, specifically - overpaid veterans on bad teams can tend to be terrible influences on younger guys; it's a disproportionate salary structure; they tend to grouse and complain with grater frequency - and, because of their status, have tremendous clout and influence. Again, Freeman might be an exemplary guy, etc. But sometimes a house cleaning is in order before you turn your team over to rambunctious youngsters.)

He signed that extension in the winter after the Braves won 96 games. They (rightly) saw him as a key piece of their future. They've since lost nearly 60% of their games and are now the worst team in baseball. I would certainly see if they're having any buyer's regret on the contract.

He won't be had for peanuts by any means. But if the Astros agree to take on his contract and build a package around AJ Reed - I'd have to think that's a really good place to start.

10. The Beard

Paying that salary isn't an albatross for some owners like it was for Crane

I just don't see many teams worrying about getting rid of every penny they can like we did

11. Airdough

Airdough Member

In the context of upcoming free agent deals and the market, Freeman is a bargain. The new stadium opening up plus him being a fan favorite will hurt the chances of acquiring him. You are looking at maybe Moran+Reed+Paulino getting their attention. That would be a steep price to pay but now they've gotten a taste of lopsided awesomeness thanks to the Shelby Miller deal, they'll want even more now.

12. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Who would we give up for Harvey? What if the Mets ask for Springer?

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

This thread depresses me.........

14. Hey Now!

I don't know anything about Paulino - but Reed+Moran as 2/3 of the deal for an upper echelon 1B signed through his age 31 season? I wouldn't even think twice - unless someone tells me Paulino is Baby Kershaw.

Maybe Reed will eventually be better than Freeman; but he's not right now - and probably won't be next year, either. If you have a playoff-caliber team, that's a trade you make every day and twice on Saturday.

15. Hey Now!

You can't view it as a straight salary dump, though. They would add... 2-3, 4 more players to their system. And sure, everyone owner has different financial thresholds - but I would guess most would rather pay AJ Reed (assuming he reaches his potential) the next five years than Freddie Freeman. Especially if, for a chunk of those five years, you're likely to be a bad baseball team.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Atlanta isn't trading Freeman unless one of the following is true:

1. They expect him to quickly, drastically decline over the next 3 seasons.
    2. They find a team willing to take on his entire contract plus give up 3-4 premium, MLB-ready prospects. For Houston that would likely mean a package built around Reed, Musgrove, and Martes/Paulino. I would probably be ok with that but it's a risky move.

17. kaleidosky

Trade something relatively minor for Jose Reyes if the Rockies pick up most of the remaining contract and if there's any chance he can play 3B? He's never touched it in his 12 years in the league, so maybe an irrelevant question..

18. awc713

awc713 Member

i dont see HOU as a match, but jose reyes was just DFA'ed.

19. The Beard

You may be completely right, they may want to sell off one of their last two young assets....I just doubt it.....Time will tell

20. The Beard

Whether Keuchel returns to dominance or not, we could obviously use an Ace starter. One that will likely be available is Sonny Gray. Like the Freeman talk, Gray won't be given away to the top bidder...but if the price was right I have to think they would move him.

When you look at Oakland's roster, they only have a few guys young enough to look at as long term pieces for them. Semien at SS, Burns and Davis in the OF are all under 29. On the pitching staff you have Gray, Graveman and Mengden. Only Gray of those three is a given, but the other two have some potential.

When you look at their farm system, it's a little more bare than I can remember it being for a while, and the best of what they have are everyday players. Barretto, Olson and Chapman are all highly regarded and should be here by next year, but they have very little in the way of pitching prospects.

Having said all of that, and knowing that Gray has 3 arbitration years coming up so is controlled for a while

Astros Get: Sonny Gray, Danny Valencia
    Athletics Get: Martes, Paulino, Musgrove, Teo Hernandez

Yes, it depletes the high end of our pitching prospects, but it gives us an Ace for the staff. I still am of the belief that Keuchel will be a #1-2 type of starter long term. His velocity is down a little, and I just think the innings from last year are wearing on him. Don't necessarily think he gets it back this year, but long term I think he will. Gray, Keuchel, McCullers could be a great front three, and while you give up the top end of your pitching prospects, you still have Feliz and Devenski as young guys who could be starters, and you haven't spent big money still, so you could easily go spend on another mid to front end starter.