1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would be willing to give up any 4 minor league prospects not named Bregman for Archer.

2. raining threes

I really dont like Archer all that much.

When he's on he's great. But too often he goes thru bouts of wildness and gets hammered because of it. Like I said he's good but not good enough to give up that kind of package. IMHO

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What am I missing here? 27-year old with a 4.66 ERA; 1.436 WHIP; 89 ERA+. I know he's signed through 2021 at a very reasonable price (assuming he reaches ace status) - but, man... his season would seem to be a really wet blanket.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your assessment of Archer sounds like McCullers. I would definitely take a chance on Archer, I believe he'll settle in as an elite starter .

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

So reports are Miami would "have to have" 3 potential Front end starters + to move Fernandez (MLB radio)

Not saying I would or wouldn't do this, but

Feliz, Martes, Musgrove, Moran, P Tucker for Fernandez?

Putting him in front of Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh and whoever for the next few years mitigates losing the arms

Plus we still have Devenski, Paulino, and tonight's AAA ASG starter in the wings

Would Miami even do that?

6. The Beard

I would do Martes, both Tucker's and another guy in the 10-15 range in our system for Archer and not think twice

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don't think Miami would do that. Swap Kyle Tucker for Preston Tucker and you might be in range.

8. Buck Turgidson

He's young, he's under contract for 5 more years or so, he's had a Cy Youngish type season already, I know he hasn't been great this year, but what am I missing? All I'm saying is that Tampa won't trade him cheap.

9. The Beard

Maybe both Tucker's (Fla kids) and keep Moran

Big price to pay.....would probably do it but not without reservations

Bottom line is, the probability of any of those guys reaching Fernandez status is low

10. The Beard

Yea and the "stuff" is there, one of the best K rates in the bigs even while struggling.

11. raining threes

I would give up Reed/Cameron in addition to Martes/Feliz/Musgrove for Fernandez. Fernandez is that good.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Martes, Musgrove, Paulino, K Tucker, and Cameron probably gets it done. But damn that's an awful lot to give up for 2.5 seasons of an ace.

13. The Beard

It is a lot...but I would do it

Over his last 5 starts ( I know a very small sample size) Keuchel has a 2.79 ERA. Tiny sample size, but for a guy who did what he did two years running, there is plenty of reason to think he could be back on track (it comes with a 1.1 whip).

Put Fernandez in front of Keuchel, with McCullers sitting behind both of them, and you are the odds on favorite in the AL Playoffs for not just this year, but the next three. If you can get Fernandez, and every pitcher we currently have, plus Springer, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, Reed....I just couldn't say no

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I would do just about any of our minor leaguers for J Fernandez. He's proven that he's over the surgery and issues from it..the cost is way higher now than it was in the offseason (when I was too scared to give up a ton).

If you can find a way to keep Reed and Bregman and make it happen...yes please.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

27?......

Bad year + age would have me hesitant to throw any and everything at them (understanding that's probably what THEY want). Not that 27 is OLD... but - how many prime years does he have left? Maybe a lot and screw me. I don't know.

I've been infatuated with Fernandez ever since his name cropped up in rumors; *that's* the guy I'd probably empty the farm for.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Follow up for 11-30 Trade Value according to Fangraphs
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-trade-value-11-to-20/

Astros
    13. Altuve
    30. Springer

Interesting names often in trade speculation
    17. Fernandez
    21. Archer

17. The Beard

Considering his contract and everything, hard to imagine 12 players have more value than Jose

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Wild Card race getting tougher, your move Luhnow

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Padres have reportedly traded All-Star pitcher Drew Pomeranz to the Red Sox <a href="https://t.co/KygH1h24St" title="http://on.si.com/29H7yTc">on.si.com/29H7yTc</a> <a href="https://t.co/sn7NjJR8fe" title="http://twitter.com/SInow/status/753712283986034688/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/sn7NjJR8fe</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/753712283986034688" data-datetime="2016-07-14T22:06:26+00:00">July 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Buck Turgidson

Dammit. That's one of the few guys I was hoping we'd target.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Not when they are getting a prospect of the caliber of Anderson Espinoza back. If that is the going price for a controllable SP then we are definitely out.

Now Wil Myers on the other hand...