1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Gomez for Braun straight up would be an interesting thought

We get the better player and take on the contract

Milwaukee rids themselves of the contract. We could add a couple of non top 10 organizational prospects

Gomez goes back where he is loved, and doesn't have to worry about a QO hurting his FA

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs is doing its annual trade value articles this week. Basically, they take into stats, perception, what teams are paying for different skills, and contracts.

Bregman at 37th best trade value without an MLB AB and LMJ at 40th. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-trade-value-31-to-40/

McCullers is about as high-risk, high-reward as a big leaguer gets, as he’s putting up one of the best combinations of strikeout and ground-ball rates in MLB, and doing it as a 22-year-old with high-end stuff. He’s also battled command problems at every stop of his professional career, and he started the year on the disabled list with a sore right shoulder. And while the data hasn’t come to any firm conclusions about the causation of pitch selection and injury rates, his extraordinarily high breaking-ball usage is a red flag for some teams. But right now, McCullers looks healthy, and has shown he is capable of pitching like an ace despite his youth. With the current shortage of available arms on the market, McCullers’ ability to be a difference maker both now and for the future would make him a highly coveted asset.

Bregman is, in many ways, the infield version of Benintendi. He might not have as much upside as some other prospects, especially ones who are more likely to play shortstop in the big leagues, but Bregman could help any team in baseball tomorrow, and he probably won’t be a minor leaguer for much longer. What position he’ll eventually play in the majors is yet to be determined, but few question his offensive abilities, and even if he ends up settling in as a third baseman, he looks like a good player without needing much further development. If it weren’t for Luis Valbuena‘s strong first half, Bregman would likely already be the Astros’ third baseman, and even with Valbuena playing well, Bregman is forcing his way into the picture. Expect him to be up soon, and for the Astros to rebuff any suitors trying to extract him from their organization.

Jon (Edit removed:Sonny) Gray came in as 49th.

Freeman dropped out of top 50 this year as he's gone from the super cheap to being below market value contract. I expected he would still be on the list, but he's probably not that far from it.

Lucroy dropped out of their top 50 as well, despite a good year, for not having as many years left on good contract.

#322 Joe Joe, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That's Rockies pitcher Jon Gray at 49.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thanks. Sonny Gray dropped off the list.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

In what world is this even possible? Throw in a few minor leaguers and maybe they think about it.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Braun will still be receiving a paycheck of $2 million in 2031. Gomez isn't guaranteed money after this year. How many Jeromy Burnitz jokes would there be making fun of the old regime if the Astros had to pay him 2 million dollars this season?

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Braun has had his issues and the price could be lower. But making a straight swap isn't going to happen.

He's still an All-Star Caliber player and I think the Brewers can get a better deal.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I heard this mentioned offhand on the radio, but the more I think about it I am wholeheartedly for it.

Trade for Francisco Liriano and pull a Scott Feldman with him: send him to the pen, watch his fastball velo shoot up and ERA shoot down. He takes over for Sipp in our high leverage not-just-a-LOOGY scenarios.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Planet Earth

If they want prospects in addition to taking on the $87 Million owed to him after this year, for a guy with an injury history and PED background who will be 37 when he gets to the end of his contract....you simply be nice to them and say, no thanks we are good

Now, if the Brewers were paying a significant portion of the contract, then yea it would require some significant prospects. But if not, it would be incredibly stupid to take on that contract AND give up significant other assets

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems we'll disagree here. Just seems sad that he gets the "All-Star Caliber" tag thrown at him when he was the NL MVP when he signed this contract. How the mighty have fallen.

11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Sadly, it's only because of his PED use and the influx of talent in the NL at his position and so forth.

He's a tough player to gauge on trade interest but we shall see what happens. I don't think Houston is an option.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

???

Braun, since 2013: .285/.350/.485/.835/126 OPS+. Among DHs, only Ortiz, Sano and Martinez have been better. He'd be a significant offensive add, especially if he no longer had to play defense on a daily basis.

His contract is bananas and he's a piss away from a significant suspension - but, man - he's an intriguing target...

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sure he can still hit as if he's the 4th-6th best DH. Too bad he's paid like a former MVP that hasn't fallen from grace. He makes more per year than any of the top 7 DHs. His contract has more left on it than what the best 7 DHs combined.

14. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I've seen that Chris Archer may be available. He's having a rough year, but with his contract, he'd be a guy I'd consider giving up the farm for. He's still 27 and locked up for another 5 years for cheap.

15. Buck Turgidson

Pick 2: Bregman, Reed, Martes, Musgrove, K Tucker, Feliz...then pick 2 more: Devenski, J Martin, Cameron, Moran, P Tucker, Paulino, Teo H, Fisher, etc....

If I'm the Rays there's no way I trade that guy for less than a huge haul. Why should they settle? Why should they hurry?

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Sign me up for Tucker+Feliz+any combo from your second group.

17. Buck Turgidson

Well no ****. :) Other teams might beat that offer. I'd love it but I just don't see why they'd think about it unless you started with Bregman or Reed or Martes and then added on significantly.

18. Progs

Progs Member

Bregman is untouchable now. Too good to see how good he will be.

19. Progs

Progs Member

I see the Kyle Tucker connection tho. His hometown team is the Rays. Little Tucker would become the Astros top hitting prospect if Bregman joins Reed to the Majors real soon. I rather keep Tucker & Martes unless Chris Sale comes available. Then, throw in Fisher if they want and that is it.

20. Progs

Progs Member

Who knows where the Astros 4 young stud hitters will be in 2018, but Tucker would fit nicely batting behind them giving that he bats left and for me be us a sure thing he will become good in the future due to his work ethic and pure bat. The power will come next year at Lancaster High A ball ;)