1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Random Astros Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jun 13, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder if we're targeting Estrada? Joey Bats? Doubt Donaldson can be had...even if he could, is he worth the cost of prospects with Bregman on the way?

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Martes doesn't even enter the conversation unless the Astros are getting someone BIG back, and I'm sure the Blue Jays know this. Color me intrigued.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Here are the only players I think would warrant Martes: Tulowitzki, Donaldson, Pillar, Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna. I could maybe see Toronto unloading Tulo and Houston using him in at 3B, but it still doesn't make a ton of sense. With a good number of important pending free agents, the Blue Jays need to try to win this season so any trade that weakens their 2016 roster just doesn't compute. I'm not buying this rumor and if it is true I think the deal would involve a 3rd team.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Stroman has been terrible this season. I don't really want any part of of Tulo at this point in his career either, he's really struggled this year, in a great hitter's park and lineup no less.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tulo has a 778 ops and 104 wRC and is on pace for 30 HR.

Stroman has been pretty unlucky.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I agree that I cannot make much sense of the deal, which is primarily why I'm intrigued.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think a similar prospect package to what Toronto gave up for Tulo (Reyes, Hoffman, Tinoco, Castro) would be Valbuena, Martes, Gustave, and Bostick. I would definitely be willing to give that up to add Tulo to Houstons lineup, especially since it would probably mean Toronto would eat some of his salary (he has $80M/4yrs remaining).

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the Jays trade for Martes, it is for him to pitch in the big leagues as either a starter or a relief pitcher. As such, I don't see a trade for Martes necessarily being viewed as weakening the 2016 roster by the Blue Jays. It would be them betting on their scouting department that Martes has turned the corner. From Astros point of view, the Blue Jays would have to overpay to get him if MLB talent isn't included as there is no pressing need to trade him.

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I would be floored if the Blue Jays viewed a 20 year-old in AA with a 4+ ERA as ready for the big leagues, but I've been wrong before.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

There is no way I would give up that package for Tulo.

Granted Martes is the only "gem" in that group, you are talking about acquiring a SS who is signed through 2021 at 20 Million a year the next few of those years, and adding him to a team that has Correa at SS and Bregman sitting in AAA looking to be a 10 year younger version of Tulow himself

Even if Toronto was willing to eat some of the contract, no way I would want to tie myself into 4-5 years of a guy who long term we would not likely have a place for. Not to mention he is hitting .238 this year after hitting .239 after the trade to Toronto last year. Not saying he brings nothing to the table, but no thanks on Martes in a deal for Tulow (unless MLB would allow him to take his at bats in Coors field somehow :)

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree that it's unlikely they view him as an important major league piece this season.

But the 4+ ERA is probably a little misleading, he got off to a horrible start and there is no telling what went into that. Could have been trying to work on something specific the developmental guys wanted, maybe he just didn't come into the season with good command. In any case, over his last 10 outings which dates to early May, his era is 2.87 with a K per inning, so no doubt he would be highly wanted by other organizations.

Toronto also has had some very young pitchers at the mlb level, using them in the pen while still viewing them as starters long term.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tulo is only guaranteed 4 more seasons (2021 is a club option). He's the type of player who could easily shift to 3B, 1B, LF, or DH, so it's not like he couldn't contribute on a roster that included Correa and Bregman. Now, if you think he's on the rapid decline or can't hit outside of Coors, or Martes is going to be an ace, that's harder to disagree with. But Tulo could definitely find a place to play with the Astros.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

You put Tulo batting 6th or 7th and you are set.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Would you view a sub 3 ERA pitcher in AA as potentially MLB ready? Martes has been sub 3 ERA and sub 3 FIP for 2 months now. His first month was an ERA of 9. It just comes down to whether or not their scouts think the last two months are representative or statistical anomaly...but to do that, you would need to send scouts to go see him. As the Blue Jays have sent scouts to see him supposedly, it seems they want to know if he has turned the corner.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

I just don't see how Tulo fits this team.

Our left side of the infield is set for the next decade. Why pay Tulo's 80MM when he doesn't have a clear path to playing time? You really want to transition him to OF? He already cannot stay healthy. I'd rather allocate that money to Gourriel or another player. Heck, I'd rather save to pay the core we already have.

Maybe Tulo would fit if we didnt have both Correa and Bregman, but I just don't see the match. Getting Tulo for ages 32-35 is honestly mind-boggling when you look at his injury career (140+ games 3 times in 11 years), let alone that we already have a cheaper, likely more productive left side.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

RF Springer
    LF/3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    3B/LF Tulowitzki
    1B Reed/Marwin
    C Gattis/Castro
    DH White/Tucker
    CF Marisnick/Kemp

Pretty sick lineup. Hell even if they don't get Tulo, any elite bat in that slot makes the lineup insane.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think that's the point others are making. (a) any elite bat really works given the team's positional flexibility right now (b) Tulo hasn't been an elite bat outside of COL in a while, and (c) Tulo has been injury prone for a longer while. Can't see a reason to go after him unless the cost is incredibly low--which it won't be if we want them to pick up a lot of the now silly contract.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Tulo were a free agent this offseason, you don't think he'd command $80M/4yrs?

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Based on what he's done since getting to Toronto (both at the plate and on the trainer's table), no chance in hell IMO

At age 32, I'd assume he'd get 3 yrs / 30-40M as a long-term, or play a 1 yr / 15M type prove-it deal if he was confident in himself.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Don't underestimate how much FA's get. I think he would get paid. The combination of injuries and production drop would prevent it from being a crazy deal, but 4 years $80M isn't a giant deal in MLB's financial landscape. I don't think we would pay that much though. Probably be a bigger market team.