1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 NBA Draft, The Rockets pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 3, 2016.

1. valorita

valorita Member

Trading your superstar player is the definition of blowing it up

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not when you're getting more talent back.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is. It's great to get lots of talent back, but you're still completely replacing the core talent of the franchise. That's the very definition of "blowing it up". Trading Harden for very little talent in exchange would be called "being stupid". Not necessarily the same thing.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not suggesting we trade Harden. But if we did, I'd want it to be for a legit fresh start and at least a player of comparable talent. While deep, it doesn't look like this draft has a Harden type talent. I just don't think the subject of trading Harden is "stupid". I think it's unlikely that it would make sense to trade him, but if he indicates he's gonna test the market in 2 yrs...

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I wasn't implying that the concept of trading Harden is stupid. It was merely in reference to getting little/no return for him and in the context of such a trade being the very definition of "blowing it up" for this team.

6. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Felder and Maker would be ideal.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Unless you are getting another young star back trading James is stupid.

8. dwhite

dwhite Member

There are few guarantees in life, but knowing Morey's draft night history there is nodoubt we will move into the first round via trade.

9. Aruba77

I should not have put "stupid" in quotes to insinuate a reference to your post Bima. I was trying to reference the larger sentiment I see here on clutchfans that trading Harden is categorically unwise.

I think in most cases that's probably true, but part of me would be curious about the return we could get, and whether that could usher in a fresh start with a different franchise player.

Much respect always to Bima!

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That depends. Personally I don't think Harden is the right person to have as your core. IMO you can get the same type of player in Hield or Murray and still have 2 first rounders plus our 2 second round picks.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Holy hell man, are you saying you believe Hield and Murray will be on Hardens level? ...

A soon to be 27 year old top 10 player isn't the right person for a core??

My goodness man.

12. Lightsnowaction

I know he isn't the great shooter, but I would love Gary Payton II with his elite defensive potential.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yessir Nick, I think they will both be on Harden's level. Especially Murray.
    I just don't think the core of our team should be a shoot first play defender never SG who will occasionally disappear in a playoff series.

14. dmoneybangbang

I think you vastly underestimate what Harden does. Not many players can lead an offense and be a top 3 scorer.

15. Aruba77

I agree and I'd like to see what he can do in the same rotation as a truly dominant player. Howard was declining; would love to see Harden paired with another top 20 player in their prime and see the effect that has on his play. But if we fail on free agency this entire year will be a waste, and I'd rather rebuild than continue chasing the next shinny object. Harden will be a free agent in less than two years.

16. Ranny

Ranny Member

So now we are talking about trading Harden for picks? seriously? unbelievable....

Besides, commonly the anti-Harden crowd are also usually anti-Morey as well, and these gang of contrarians keep repeating that Morey is a terrible drafter, so now you want to trade your one and only legitimate young superstar for picks, and then put those picks in the hand of someone you consider an incompetent drafter........ sure that makes a lot of sense, it seems like a very intelligent plan...... :rolleyes:

17. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

So we are ok to trade Harden to the Sixers for Okafor + #1 and #26 picks ?

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If you throw in Dario Saric and Nerlens Noel maybe lol.

You can't replace a top 5 player in this league with a bunch of spare parts.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You're calling Okafor and a #1 pick spare parts?

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would do it. You're getting a proven player plus a chance to draft your future star.