1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 NBA Draft, The Rockets pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

with the 37th pick the Yooston Rockets select Haralabas Pantakolikalao PF Kazakhstan

Maury "we really like Haralabas, we feel maybe in 5 or 7 years he will be able to contribute something"

1 person likes this.
  2. ballgame

ballgame Member

And BTW, the Rockets had a 100 Power forwards on last year's roster and no guards, outside of Harden, that was worth anything; Beverly, Terry, Lawson and Goudelock compared to Curry, Thompson, Barbosa and Livingston. This is a small ball league and BTW Thompson and Livingston are big guards.

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

It does Draymond Green was #35 and Manu Ginobli was #57. It's all about scouting

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It does when those (temporary) Vipers eventually become contributing players in the NBA.

Anyone EXPECTING the 37th and 43rd picks to become instant contributors for the Rockets next season are delusional. Sure, it could happen. But it's not reasonable to assume it will.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone that doesn't want a Chuck Hayes with a second round pick...

A. Is not a true fan of the Rockets.

and

B. Does not understand the game.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you guarantee another Chuck Hayes in the draft?

The real Chuck was undrafted......:rolleyes:

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously you Putz...

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

anyone expecting those picks to turn into draymond, ginobli, or even parsons are likely setting themselves up for great disappointment as well. add in the fact that MDA has typically played short rotations without rookies, and the prospects of developing any 2nd round picks here anytime soon are bleek

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dont make me go through the last 15 years of players who were not picked before our pick this year to quantify how many players will be qualitye rotation players on playoff teams in their careers at the Rockets pick. The Rockets are not going to have their pick of a bounty of NBA players. Pretty much at any pick in the NBA draft, you better go BPA, but esp. in the freakin'2nd round

I do agree that it isimportant to have an identity when getting role players, because they are not complete players. But you won't have that luxury in the draft

10. ballgame

ballgame Member

^ This is the reason why we haven't won a Championship in over 20 yrs. That same mentality that lead us to draft Joey Dorsey over Dre"Andre Jordan and Hassan Whiteside. You want a 6'6" center who is slow, can't jump, can't shoot in today's NBA.....Uh No! A thousand times no!

11. alethios

alethios Member

Wouldn't surprise me if Morey tried to bundle both picks to move up to draft - but for who?

12. oakdogg

You seem seriously naïve. Like you just aren't familiar with how hard it is to find good players late in the draft. It's freakin' easy as heck to make bad picks in the top 5, and you are slamming people for missing in the 2nd round? Go to Wikipedia, look up previous drafts, and educate yourself.

13. oakdogg

Beverley was better than any Power Forward we had. Lawson had wayyyyyy better credentials than any of our Power Forwards. Aside from Harden, nobody was any good. That's all you get from me.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

15. ballgame

ballgame Member

I wasn't slamming Morey initially but since you seem so keen on defending him, now I will! Since Morey has been the GM, over 10 yrs and counting, HE HAS NOT DRAFTED ONE All-Star or All-Pro!

He has had three picks in the 1st round in one draft, he has had several lottery picks, he passed up Kawi Leonard for Marcus Morris and Kawi was the very next pick!!

I can go on and on of the number of mistakes he's made. A GM has to build a team through the draft and get to Championships through trades and FA (LOOK AT THE SPURS DRAFT PICKS; PARKER #24, GINOBLI #57 AND OH YEAH KAWI LEONARD #15).

I believe if he would've hit one, just one draft pick, we would be at a Championship level right now. Face it! He doesn't draft with a plan in place. No doubt Daryl is a deal maker but when he drafts throws darts at the draft board and until he learns how to, we are never going to be that Championship Team.

Just look at the Final 4 teams this yr and their draft picks!!!

GS - Thompson, Curry and Draymond,
    Tor- DeMar Derozan
    Cle- Kyrie, Thompson
    OKC - KD, Russell, Serge Ibaka,

Sure Curry, DeMar, Kyrie KD and Russell were high draft picks but if Morey were making those same picks, would you trust him to make the right pick???

16. ballgame

ballgame Member

Thank you for making my point for me!!! Now you get what I'm saying. If Patrick Beverly is better, talent wise than any Power Forward we had on the roster.....what does that say about Morey's Draft History?

He drafted D-Mo, T. Jones, Harrell and Dekker. All are average Power Forwards at best and I think I'm being kind.

17. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

It doesn't matter. Morey always pick best available. He doesn't care if that player fit the team or not.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are just vexed that the team's future is not looking good right now with

an owner who is going senile

19. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

It's easy to play armchair GM when you have perfect hindsight. Morey never had the super high picks by which you had had the highest chance of hitting one of the all-stars or all-NBA players.

Let's try this game. In the last 10 years, how many all-stars or all-nba players were picked less than 10 picks after a Rockets pick? I chose 10 spots because if an additional 10 teams passed on someone that became an all-star/nba, their success must have been really unexpected. I find it hard to blame Morey to miss out on Draymond Green when all 30 teams didn't expect him to develop the way he did. However I do fault Morey for not picking Kawhi when he was the next pick.

How many times do you think that happened since the 2005 draft? That Rockets barely missed on a star through the draft.

The answer is four. Out of the 40 all-star/nba since the 2005 draft, the Rockets messed up and picked someone when they could've picked an all-star/nba a grand total of four times: David Lee, DeAndre Jordan, Kawhi Leonard, and Jimmy Butler. That's one 15th pick, two 30th pick, and one 35th pick. Most teams did not expect them to develop the way they did.

Do I wish Morey had drafted those four players? Absolutely. Do I think he's a terrible talent evaluator because he missed out? Absolutely not. I think he's above average and if the Rockets get another GM, chances are, the replacement will do worse than Morey.

2 people like this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This thread feels like a vomit burp. Thinking about the draft is more than irritating, it turns my stomach.