1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016: Hope

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jul 16, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If people keep talking about a magical Republican energy turnout long enough, sooner or later they'll be right.

2. justtxyank

Romney actually increased the Republican turnout in 2012 vs McCain's turnout in 2008 and it didn't matter.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree with this. Any moderate to liberal woman will show up to vote for Hillary. It's history and people want to be a part of it.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This isn't how it works.

This is how traditional horse-race political reporting deems it to work.

But this isn't how it works.

5. justtxyank

What's more likely to happen is that Hilary wins a contested but respectful primary against Bernie Sanders and a few others.

Jeb Bush or Marcu Rubio wins a heated, bloody, expensive primary against a whole slew of candidates and emerges with less money and a lot of battle scars in the form of taking positions and making statements that will hurt them with a general electorate.

Come election day, turnout is depressed a little because a small segment isn't in love with either candidate and because why vote when you can facebook? Hilary Clinton will win by a decent margin in the popular vote and a significant margin in the electoral college. Conservatives will claim their party lost because they weren't hard line enough.

We'll have these same crappy discussions for another 4 years about who will run against Hilary and who will finally energize the Republican party! Meanwhile the party will get smaller and smaller in terms of self indetifieds until it finally realizes that you are never going to win on a platform of angry xenophobia and anti government bluster.

2 people like this.
  6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People vote on all sorts of things based off name recognition alone.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I saw that movie in 2012.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think a goodly portion of them stay home. not all, but perhaps enough. of those that do turn out some will hold their noses and vote for Hill. but some won't, depending who the republican nominee is.

and i agree about democrat turnout.

9. justtxyank

Republican strategy for election day 2016: Pray for rain

10. basso

Supporting Member

not this woman.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

With a choice between Trump and Hillary?

[​IMG]

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I will be at the Bernie Sanders town hall on Sunday evening in Houston. I am going to try to convince him to go on the Howard Stern Show if he's not already planning on doing that.

I will vote for Hillary over any of the republican candidates, but I would MUCH prefer Sanders get the nomination.

I am tired of the two families vying for power.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't expect the Republicans to turn out stronger than in the past. I expect Democrats to stay home.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

None of the Republicans stand a chance. They lack charisma, knowledge, education and passion to lead a country.

15. basso

Supporting Member

you haven't see Rubio speak.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Oh, we've seen him speak...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh but we have-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great minds think alike.

Or just low hanging fruit.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I find it weird that the freest and most advanced continent on the globe can still have constitutional and military crises if a handful of aging debutantes has a stroke. I find it weird that most technologically advanced countries outside of the West were wading in rice paddies a couple of centuries ago, while the birthplace of civilization, numeral systems, two of the worlds major religions and more energy and mineral wealth than most of the globe still run their countries like an Uwe Boll film.

I think we're conflating the presidency with hundreds of billions in family wealth compounded over centuries, barrels, acres of land, transmitters and printed columns; and confusing the Clintons and Bushes for the Rockefellers, DuPonts, Gettys, Hearsts and Waltons.

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

ahem

Female donors show up in full force for Clinton

Hillary Clinton has raised $47.5 million during her first couple months as a candidate, and a solid majority of her donors were women, reports Matea Gold.

Of the more than 250,000 contributors who donated to Clinton, 61 percent are women. That puts her on track to outstrip the presidential high-water mark set by President Obama in 2012, when 47 percent of donors who gave him more than $200 were women, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.