1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Derrick Rose
    James Harden
    Trevor Ariza
    Al Horford
    Joakim Noah

:eek:

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If this is the lineup we trot out to run the MDA offense we're so f***ed.

The PG - the engine - is a guy on bad knees whose a notoriously non-passing PG.

The C's knees are done.

Horford is not particlarly fast for a PF, neither is Ariza for a SF.

Put Jennings at PG and Capela at C and we're better.

3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Jennings at PG is no better than Rose at PG

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

If you're looking for Rockets talk, decent(IMO) podcast on the Rockets & free agency.

<iframe width="100%" height="160" src="http://percolate.blogtalkradio.com/OffsitePlayer?hostId=890713&episodeId=8996873" frameborder="0"></iframe>

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Duncan does a good podcast. Though his Warriors/Bulls homerisms come out at times. But he has one of the best NBA only podcasts out there. Looking forward to checking out that offseason preview.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So players have to physically gifted, more athletic and quicker then most to run in a D'Antoni system? KJ?

Or do they just need the stamina and have a effective style of play for a fast paced sytem? Does Jared Dudley?

Do we just need shooters? Or is athleticism more important, or is it a healthy balance?

I understand the D'Antoni system goes small, so would Marvin Williams be a better fit for our PF spot over Horford? Would Horford need to bd a center in Mikes system?

I'm a little confused, I think Ariza and Bev would fit nicely in a D'Antoni system, both are fast paced 3&D players in cheap contracts. Neither of them are uber athletic but they certainly are slouches, but have a good volume ball.

Would Dmo have to play center? Is the PF position reserved for mostly stretch 4's?

7. anchel

anchel Member

What about Beasley as starting PF? With D'Antoni I wouldn't discard it. If he bets for Capela as starting center, Beasley would fit as an offensive partner. Not saying it's my plan; D'Antoni's.

8. Chamillionaire

You guys remember how P Gasol played under MDA? I know him and Dwight couldn't play together, but now I realize it wasn't Gasol at fault there. He averaged a double double and even though he's 35, I think he's got a good season or maybe 2 left. Wonder how he'd feel about splitting time with Clint. Help us bring Llull over? Just an idea guys.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I think we need to aim for a more complete player as a starter (i.e bring back D-Mo on a reasonable contract or upgrade).

Beasley is what he is at this point, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If properly utilized, he could essentially be a slightly poor man's version of Jamal Crawford.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I've heard from a few people I trust that D'Antoni wants Dmo back. Wants him to be a super-sub on the team.

11. Chamillionaire

DMo should come at a reasonable contract. His back really is concerning though. He hasn't been the same since the injury.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Finally got a chance to listen to the Rockets offseason recap from Duncan/Leroux.

Like J.R. said, it's pretty good. Very refreshing to see they dove in deep regarding the Rockets ability to create 2 max contract slots. And did talk about KD/Horford and how devastating the team would be with them on board with Harden in hand.

They talked about keeping cap flexibility for 2017 because of the larger pool of impact FAs. And they even hit on Llull and suggested he could be a good player to add to the team at a reasonable price considering the PG FA market is a bit thin.

1 person likes this.
  13. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

I keep thinking about it and I have a feeling that they are going to bring a lot of the players back in order to keep flexibility.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Smith, DMo, Beasley and Goudelock back all on one year contracts. 1+ a team option in DMo's case.

Bev/FA/Goudelock
    Harden/KJ/FA
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    DMo/Beasley/Harrell
    Capela/Smith/FA

Honestly, that isn't a horrible line-up. and one that i think could work well in the new system. This way they could sign someone like Conley and also pick up some not so great contracts with 1 year left (Amir Johnson) while picking up some draft picks along the way. Then they keep enough flexibility to pick up another max player via trade or 2017 FA.

14. hakeemthagreat

I don't like the thought of starting DMo given his inability to rebound & defend. Beasley can be out Shawn Marion with better offense

15. zigzag

zigzag Member

Beasy = The Matrix plus more offense
    minus much more defense:(

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Respectfully, that's a dreadful comparison. Shawn Marion was a stat-sheet stuffer known for his ability to score without having plays called for him, hustle and ability to defend multiple positions. One of the best role players and glue guys the league has seen in recent history.

Beasley is nothing like that. At all. I say this as a Beasley fan. I like him and want him to do well, but that's simply one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

#776 baller4life315, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  17. alethios

alethios Member

At least Beasley has a prettier jump shot. :grin:

18. dream2franchise

Pretty good listen.

Interesting they brought up how Harden's game will age badly. I feel like it could be the opposite. He has the ball handling, passing and shooting to do damage without relying on speed and leaping ability.

He'll be able to create space with his step back, and he has the strength to start mixing it up in the post as he gets older.

19. dmoneybangbang

On paper, in my opinion, Harrell is your young Shawn Marion with his length, athleticism, and versatility. Beasley is more like Stoudemire (strictly offensive) with his ability to be lethal out of the triple threat position and flat out score. Again, these comparisons are pretty loose.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Guys just stop trying to compare the Rockets to the 05 Suns, it's impossible.

Nobody in the league today is close to what Nash was, maybe Chris Paul.

Griffin is the only comparable player to Amare

Nobody is comparable to Marion, closest thing I can think of is Giannis without the passing.

The only real comparison we can make is Ariza = Quentin Richardson with better defense.

That Suns team will be impossible for us to replicate.