1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

With the rumors of Teague for Noel, it looks like the Hawks might go young and build around Schroeder if Horford leaves. If anything they might be more interested in a package of involving Capela along with players like KJ, Dekker Harrell and picks.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

True, even though some teams are probably willin to take more risks due to their poor results in the past signing big names. I just hope the Rockets are not in this group. On his case, i don't know the real entity of his injury obviously, but the fact that Cuban doesn't want to pay him makes me a bit worried.

I agree. But it's also true the me made to the wcf thanks to a very good defense, and Ariza was a big part of that...but yeah, Parsons ability was certainly a plus for our offense, that's why i'm not totally against having him back, it's just that i wouldn't risk big money on him at this point...that injury, his defense his also worse than ever...

Barnes eh...i'm not a big fan, but he's still young, at least a bit of his upside is still there imo, on the Warriors he's forced to be no more than the 4th guy on offense, he can play and defend two spots, can shoot, can attack the basket (a lot better than Ariza)...and he doesn't have a history of injuries. Again, i'm not a big fan, at all, but overall i think he would be a better choice also cause his max would still be less than Parsons max and cause he could be either a part of our future (if Harden will leave or get traded) or a nice asset.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Biyombo would not mesh well next to Capela cause he's like Capela...it's like you want to sign Beverley to a double digit contract when you already have Bradley at 1 million per year.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Don't know if no one is going to pay him the max, we'll see i guess. But yeah, his max is starting at 20x if i'm not wrong (?) so not 25x like i thought.

Anyway, Parsons is a better outside shooter, but that's it, Batum is a better rebounder, better passer, way better defender, can play and defend 3 positions...he's also a lot better in shooting free throw (Parsons is really bad here for a sf) so yeah, overall Batum is just a better player.

With Whiteside i agree, hard to compare them, but i was generalizing, i'm not even a fan of paying Whiteside having Capela. It's just that i don't think paying Parsons at this point should be some kind of priority for us, at least that's how i see it. Let's say that IF his injuries are not worrisome and there are not better option out there...

And yeah, i think the same about Barnes (more a couple of posts above this if interested in my opionion on him), i don't think the Warriors will let him go anyway.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Overall i think that aside Durant which is obviously the number one option out there, our priority should be Horford cause with Dwight gone and the question marks on D.Mo, we just need a 4/5 desperately, and Horford fits the bill. Can play and defend two positions (so he's also good to play the five in small ball lineups), can shoot from anywhere on the floor, good free throw shooter, very good passer for the spot, smart player and good presence in the lockeroom...this is basically the closest thing to Bosh (which Morey wanted two times) out there.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, any deal for Teague would have to involve our young guys. No way will the Hawks take a declining Ariza. They're looking to trade Teague, not just dump him for nothing.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree, but this may change in February...Schroeder is clearly thier future, Teague is the first to know this, he'll be out looking for a team next summer. The Hawks are too weak as a market to lose him for nothing imo, and with Schroeder i don't think they want to pay him anyway. Also, the point guard market is not that big as today, and Teague is not even close to be an all star, if a dumb gm like Colangelo is not going to overpay there's a good chance they'll have to trade him for a decent but not that good package.

Btw i don't think Capela is interesting for them since they have already Tavares and they can trade for Noel which is probably more considered in the league as today.

I also don't think that with a coach/gm running the show you can expect them to go in some sort of rebuilding mode, that's why i think a player like Ariza may be a good piece IF they'll lose Bazemore.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

You heard it from the White Mamba! :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Free agents should listen to me before choosing a destination <a href="https://t.co/o9EQboOaPO">https://t.co/o9EQboOaPO</a></p>&mdash; Brian Scalabrine (@Scalabrine) <a href="https://twitter.com/Scalabrine/status/739790000112422913">June 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width='640' height='360' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' src='https://sports.yahoo.com/video/white-mamba-minute-top-nba-003505091.html?format=embed' allowfullscreen='true' mozallowfullscreen='true' webkitallowfullscreen='true' allowtransparency='true'></iframe>

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

100% agree with Vivi on this.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) What Mamba says Houston is the place for clubs.
    2) Harden showing KD clubs last night.
    3) .....
    4) Profit

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No worries, here is a article that was written last season on what players might be worth if they get the max. I ran across it earlier today but looks like a pretty good reference. By the way, salary cap tiers are based of a players experience in the league. Here is a link to Larry Coon's far that explains how its computed. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

2016-17 Bottom Tier (~$21.0 Million)

Anthony Davis (RFA) – New Orleans Pelicans

Damian Lillard (RFA) – Portland Trail Blazers

Andre Drummond (RFA) – Detroit Pistons

Hassan Whiteside – Miami HEAT

Bradley Beal (RFA) – Washington Wizards

Harrison Barnes (RFA) – Golden State Warriors

Jonas Valanciunas (RFA) – Toronto Raptors

2016-17 Middle Tier (~$25.3 Million)

Kevin Durant – Oklahoma City Thunder

Joakim Noah – Chicago Bulls

Al Horford – Atlanta Hawks

Mike Conley – Memphis Grizzlies

DeMar DeRozan (PO) – Toronto Raptors

Danilo Gallinari – Denver Nuggets

Ryan Anderson – New Orleans Pelicans

Brandon Jennings – Detroit Pistons

Nicolas Batum – Portland Trail Blazers

2016-17 Top Tier (~$29.5 Million)

Kobe Bryant – Los Angeles Lakers

Dwight Howard (PO) – Houston Rockets

Pau Gasol (PO) – Chicago Bulls

Nene – Washington Wizards

#711 crash5179, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm guessing there are other things as well since the article was written last season. It's probably more useful to remove the names and just look at the tiers. Any player with 0 - 6 years experience is Tier 1. Any player with 7 - 9 years experience is Tier 2. Any player with 10+ years experience is Tier 3.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep :)

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As I think about it, I can really see the Rockets targeting Whiteside, as opposed to Al Horford.

Now, he doesn't spread the floor, and is really only a center... but you can't just completely ignore defense. And as much as I'd like Clint to develop into that player, he clearly isn't there yet. Whiteside can be a rebounding and defensive block machine. He just can. Helps start the break. Helps protect the interior. Still obviously concerned about a guy like him on PnRs against the GSW's of the world, but how many bigs are even remotely effective there?

If you look at Whiteside's shooting, he actually isn't that bad at mid range jumpers

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/whiteha01/shooting/2016/

Moreover, his max salary won't be as high as Horford's, or Conley's.

Plus, if you view him as a "replacement" for Capela, then you can use Capela as trade bait.

In a best case scenario, where you can sign Durant and Whiteside, and retain DMo and Beasley at the 4 spot (which, granted, puts a lot of faith in DMo returning to form, especially defensively), well then you can dangle an Ariza/Capela package in trade.

In an upside scenario, you might be able to swing a Kevin Love for that, where his value is as low as its been and they've just been demolished by the Warriors.... granted, some might not like this move anyway. But maybe Ariza/Capela for Teague? Why would Atlanta do that? They might lose Horford and/or Bazemore. Capela and Ariza replace that on great contracts. They are open to moving Teague anyway to get Schroeder more time.

So, in a best case scenario, you'd have:

PG: Teague, PBev
    SG: Harden, [TBD]
    SF: Durant, KJ
    PF: DMo, Beasley
    C: Whiteside, [TBD]

That's a pretty solid starting 5, and starts to get you a decent bench.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The thing about Whiteside isn't so much his talent, but his head. You have to be convinced that once he gets that multi-year max contract that he isn't just going to put it in cruise control. That really is my big worry/fear with him.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No doubt... that is troubling. But how do you judge that? Just don't go after him? The Heat seem willing to risk that, and they should know him best at this point. he'll still only be just 27... a 4 year contract means there'd be another big one waiting for him if he continues to perform...

DM could offer a 4 year contract with the 4th year as a player option (I know, I know, DM hates player options), so Whiteside can opt out when he's still 30 and try and get that next great contract.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yeah this had been my thoughts of lately. In terms of impact vs salary cost is appears Whiteside is the best allocation of salary cap. Of course he could go cruise control and head case but at the lowest tier of max cap its worth the risk IMO.

If you look at the numbers and advanced stats, Whiteside is an upgrading at almost everything compared to Dwight, although very close none the less. Your essentially getting Dwight back at the 20m we are willing to pay without him asking to post up.

Whiteside compared to capela is interesting because capela grades lower than him in all categories but at such a cheaper cost that it appears to equal value in some respects. This is where signing whiteside doubles in value because capela becomes a valuable trade asset.

IMO outside of obviously Durant, whiteside is the one player who will be worth or out perform his contract value over the course of its duration.

Morey is all about value and I can see him exploiting this.

18. anchel

anchel Member

It would be possible to sign Motiejunas and send him with Brewer to ATL for a signed Horford?

19. anchel

anchel Member

Or Ariza (they would prefer him, have missed Carroll).