1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. StrawberryJamm

While I think they could be good fits I see no path to a championship giving guys like Batum, Conley, and Horford max money. We are not winning a championship next year so I'd precede with the goal of being a strong playoff team making Houston look like a great destination and keeping the cap flexibility to offer the max to someone worth the max in 2017. I believe we will get alot of addition by subtraction getting Howard, Terry, Jones, Smith, and Brewer off the roster.

Noah and Dudley at around 8 mil per would be great. Go after values instead of big names with an emphasis on shooting and defending multiple positions.

Jonas Jerebko not Ryan Anderson
    Ian Clark not Evan Founier
    E'twaun Moore not Kent Bazemore
    Bring back Dmo if the price is right

Let Capela, KJ, and Trez develop
    Make Harden look good again.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

KJ just needs to have a reliable 3pt shot and he'll be fine.

3. ksny15

ksny15 Member

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Are there any legitimate reasons to not want Parsons back aside from the fact that most posters don't like him personally?

Serious question. Because I don't understand the hate for a player that's such a great fit. Yeah, I get it: kind of a douchebag and his exit from the city was highly dramatic, but c'mon.

5. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

If Parsons and Lin return, Morey will finally admit the importance of chemistry. Star chasing (and possibly ego) broke up a young and growing core of Harden, Parsons, and Lin. The same core that attracted Dwight to begin with.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, microfracture in his knee. They later said "minor hybrid microfracture" but still...

Also, if you (not necessarily telling this to you) don't like to max guys like Horford, Conley, Batum, Whiteside, i really don't know why you would be ok in maxing Parsons since he's worse than all these guys. As today i would prefer to max Barnes or Derozan, maybe even Fournier...

7. baller4life315

Fair enough. To that point, nobody is going to sign an major free agent like that without doing their research. If the risk factor is determined to still be high you have to believe the contract will reflect that. And from what I understand, he didn't have the traditional microfracture procedure performed and seems to be healing well.

As for the 'this guy vs. that guy' argument, I'm frankly just concerned with upping the talent level and taking pressure off of Harden. There's no sane Rockets fan that would argue this team hasn't missed CP's versatility since he left. This team needs another dynamic wing player that can grab a rebound and go coast-to-coast, hit the open jumper, make smart passes and play defense.

DeRozan can do that (with more offense; albeit Rudy Gay style ew-gawd-no offense, but a helluva scorer nonetheless). Batum can do that. Barnes, though? He can't. He's the only name you just listed where I wholeheartedly disagree. Barnes is going to be the next Ariza; the role player some team swipes from a championship-level team in the hopes that said player can morph into some big-time scorer....with tragic results.

8. valorita

valorita Member

We need a couple tough/ glue guys
    Zaza
    Dudley

Three point gunners
    Anderson
    Mirza

Creators
    Fournier

1 person likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

IDK? Horford is way more versatile and isn't a slouch defensively.

I don't think we could have both Biyombo and Capela as they provide no spacing, but paying Biyombo and getting something decent in return for Capela maybe worthwhile.

Just for comparison, Harrell's wingspan and standing reach is ~ 2.5 inches and ~2 inches less than Biyombo (Capela's is also ~2" and ~1" respectively).

10. dmoneybangbang

I do NOT want Conley. He would be a great pick up if we didn't have Harden, but that's TOO much money tied up in ball dominant guards.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

JR Smith will likely be a free agent this off season (player option), he played D'Antoni in NYK.

Expected to re-sign with the Cavs, but i'm sure we could outbid them if we really wanted to(not sure if we'd want to though).

Positives are that he's a high volume 3PT sniper, has good athleticism, solid defender - when focused

Negatives is he's very inconsistent, 30 years old and has a wild card personality

Mozgof(Also has played under D'Antoni) and Delly are also interesting FA's from the Cavs

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is probably the unpopular opinion but I would bring him back for sure. I think he would provide that 2nd ball handler without needing the ball in his hands to be effective on offense. He is phenomenal at finishing around the rim and a terrific 3pt shooter. He is proven to mesh well with James Harden and I think the MDA style of offense fits his type of play.

13. hvic

hvic Member

Mozgof and delly would be interesting to have on the rockets roster next season

14. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Free Agency Request:
    Sign -- Durant

2nd Free Agency Request:
    Sign -- Conley, Augustin, Anderson, Crabbe, Speights, Mirza
    Trade/Dump -- Bev/Brew/whomever else

Rotation:
    Conley/Augustin
    Harden/Crabbe
    Ariza/KJ
    Anderson/Mirza
    Capela/Speights

With D'Antoni we're probably gonna try and embrace his style, and I feel like all these guys are super great fits for that.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Personally I don't think anyone will offer Parsons the max. I think he is going to get a very good contract but not max. Also remember that all max deals are not the same. Parsons only has 5 years in the league so his max is significantly less then someone like Dwight Howard's max.

To say Parson's is not as good as Batum is nothing but perception. Parsons is better then Batum at several parts of the game such as finishing at the basket and shooting 3s. Batum is the better defender and distributor on offense. Both are outstanding and would help the Rockets IMO.

I don't think Whiteside is better than Parsons. But they are two different players that fill different needs and have different types of impacts on a team. I'm not knocking Whiteside as a player and would love to have him on the Rockets, I just think Parsons is a better player.

Harrison Barnes is a restricted free agent IMO and not likely to get offered the max by anyone. I guess we will find out about that. I have no doubt he will get a very large contract though. I'm not sure GS lets him walk at any price.

I like both Conley and Horford a lot and would really like either of them.

16. basketballholic

I'd rather have anthony randolph on a minimum contact than either Horford or Whiteside on max deals for the next 4 years.

17. hvic

hvic Member

Let's see what morey can do

18. Sanity2disChaos

Mozgof and Delly would be great pickups. Moz could Start.

19. baller4life315

Not stupid, no. It comes down to a philosophical question.

Do you want a jack-of-all-trades big like Horford that isn't quite a superstar but at the same time doesn't really have any weaknesses in his game...or do you want a player like Biyombo that's an obvious gamble but with the potential to become an elite rebounder and defensive player?

To me it's not even close: Horford, all day. His game is so versatile and would fit well playing with Harden, whereas Biyombo is too big of a gamble, IMO. At the end of the day we're talking about a player who's career numbers aren't much better than Joey Dorsey's.

Biyombo would make a ton of sense if we already had the big guns needed to win a championship and we just needed a garbageman and junkyard dog to clean the glass and protect the rim. But since we're rebuilding on the fly and needing a Dwight replacement, I think Horford is the much smarter play.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Where does Jeff Teague fit into this. Its obvious Hawks missed the Carroll. Maybe a trade involving Ariza and something for Teague and his 8m per yer contract might work. That would give schroeder the job and they coud move forward.