1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Personally I'm not afraid of paying Horford but there is a significant difference in paying someone 10mil for 4 years in the current landscape of the NBA salary cap versus paying someone 4 years of $25,976,470, $27,145,411, $28,314,352, $29,483,293.

If Gordon does not live up to his contract its not good but also does not cripple the Rockets salary cap. If Horford does not live up to or gets injured and can not live up to his contract then that one is almost crippling.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, not sure, really...10x4 is still a bad contract for the most injury prone player in the league, even with the new salary cap so, yes, a 10x4 could be very bad for the Rockets going forward.

Not sure how can you even compare Horford who's never been an injury prone player with Gordon who is the most injured guy in the league honestly. And not even sure why you expect Horford and not Gordon to be the one who will eventually not live up to his contract...Horford is a proven player at this point of his career, Gordon is not.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

As for the contract, you pay what the market dictate, especially if we're talking about an all star caliber player with zero chance to not fit in any sistem, and able to play in your two weakest spots. Gordon will never be a starter here, no one between him and Harden can guard opposing point guards...and you want to pay him 40x4? Hell no.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

And i didn't even heard about his problems/bad habits off the court that malakas said...one more reason to not pay him.

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't think it makes any sense to continue going back & forth with escalating efforts at macho posturing. I'm putting you on Ignore. You do the same with me. Yada yada. Live happily ever after.

Still, if you look at the initial exchange. I think you'll find you really overreacted, got way too defensive, and kickstarted the adversarial tone. I never said YOU were ignorant. I never even said definitively your comment was ignorant. I invited you to explain your position and made the obvious obversation that your initial comment looked pretty dang ignorant without explanation. FWIW, most of your posts here have been pretty wack. You suggested signing Bazemore & Crabbe would make us a championship team without any better talent coming in. Come on. Nevertheless, you don't have to worry about my opinions again, as you are on Ignore.

#645 oakdogg, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

#nochill

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Regarding Crabbe and Harrison Barnes. They are both RFAs. Everything I have heard has GSW matching any Barnes offer. I believe it. With Crabbe, there might be a limit Portland would reach and not match, but it would be high. I don't see Morey making that move.

Focus more on UFAs. Batum, Bazemore, Williams, Horford, Conley, Noah etc

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i agree. Blazers have a lot of money, i think they're ok in mathcing Crabbe if he's not signing something close to a max...as for Barnes yeah, unless the Warriors are getting Durant (no chance imo) there's no reason why they should not match him, even if he'll sign a max.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Yes, it is very hard to predict Crabbe's contract because he's restricted. While that price looks reasonable if by that time there are a couple of teams that have nothing to do with their money i.e Philly, Brooklyn, Crabbe is one of the best targets. And if you want to steal a RFA you HAVE to overpay. So his contract could be as low as 12 per up to 17+ per. These teams will have to find a price that will make it very hard for Portland to match. Portland has a lot of money right now but they have to think ahead for CJ's extension which will be a huge amount of $. Because CJ's potential max next year will be 25 per. Portland's GM is very smart. Will he be willing to pay all that money for their backcourt for three players? Teams can certainly pressure Portland to think if they will match Crabbe or not.
    And if Portland manages to attract a good FA this summer, the pressure is even more.
    Dudley is an amazing lockeroom guy with very brilliant positional defence, BUT there is a very big probabillity that he will break down during the length of his next contract if it's more than 2 years. He has serious back issues that also affected his knee. A back issue at his age is a very big red flag. In the previous two seasons before this one, he was for a long time during the season unhealthy which caused his shooting to fall dramatically.

10. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

Man this is a trash of a team lmao

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Lol!!! You guys do need a new Shane Battier <a href="https://t.co/BBpy9RKkph">https://t.co/BBpy9RKkph</a></p>&mdash; Jared Dudley (@JaredDudley619) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaredDudley619/status/739476026003099652">June 5, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

13. Since75

Since75 Member

I can get with that lineup. Might be the most realistic under the circumstances. Would love to see one other shot maker/ creator if lull is a no go.

14. Since75

Since75 Member

Crash those are my exact sentiments. Its what my point has always been regarding paying max money for a guy like Hoford who by and large hasn't ever been any more dominant than Gordon has. Horrors has been healthier for sure but when healthy Gordon has been just as effective and I believe will definitely be a cheaper bargain and yield similar results albeit at a different position.

15. Since75

Since75 Member

Man please! Keep the sarcasm. Life is too short and none of this is serious or significant to me. I hate I ever responded in the first place. I'm good and you're good. Respect the differences of opinions and ideals.

16. Since75

Since75 Member

Malakas

Any chance that you might be able to share the off court habits or issues that Gordon has that might make the Rockets be Leary about signing him. I appreciate your knowledge and information which is why I ask.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

[​IMG]

This part about Gordon, "when healty has been as effective as Horford" is kinda wack, i mean, you're talking about the most injured player in the league and comparing him to an all star 4/5? Come on...

Btw, i'm not sure how you can say Gordon will give us similar results since they play in two different positions...and where we absolutely need a player is the 4/5 spot, not the 2...Gordon will be a bench player here...he'll definitely be cheaper, but there's a reason for this.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Marvin Williams would be an ideal fit as our starting PF in D'Antoni's system. Solid defender, rebounder, athlete, 3pt shooter. Good all round stretch 4, that can also play backup 3.

A 3 man rotation at the SF&PF positions between Ariza/Williams/Beasley would be solid.

19. fattz

fattz Member

DMo is our starting 5 going forward. He needs to be paid as such. He needs to be paired with a long / rebounding / quick 4. If new 4 can space the floor and protect the back side of the rim that would be bonuses. Our team needs to move away from the traditional Howard type center. If Beasley was a a tad more beastly on the boards he would fit. New coach new look.

20. Lightsnowaction

That is an interesting 3/4 rotation. The problem I have is where will KJ, Dekker, and Harrell fit? Can't all be bench-warmers, especially Harrell and KJ.