1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. StrawberryJamm

E'twaun Moore would be a steal. Shot 45% from 3 this year and was the Bulls 2nd best defender after Jimmy Butler.

2. soupman

soupman Member

Conley, Biyombo and Dudley.

Conley/Beverley
    Harden/Beasley
    Ariza/Brewer
    Motiejunas/Dudley
    Biyombo/Capela

It won't win it all but it gets you to the 2nd round. Turnaround season.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Aside from KD, Batum should be a top target. he would be another playmaking threat on the floor. This team has needed playmakers since Parsons and Lin left. and please sign actual shooters.

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Harrison Barnes Sucks.

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Beasley back up 2?

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Lol :confused:

7. Since75

Since75 Member

This all depends on Brewer being moved clearing his salary.

Allen Crabbe 4/50mil
    Marvin Williams 3/30mil
    Lull Deng 3/30mil
    Eric Gordon 4/40mil
    Mario Chalmers (LLE)
    Resign Dmo (Bird rights)

Lineup
    Capela/Dmo
    Deng/ Dmo/Beasley/Harrell
    Williams/Ariza/Dekker
    Crabbe/Gordon/McDaniel
    Harden/Beverly/Chalmers

No Superstars other than Harden but a deep, versatile team with length and shooters. Second scorers are Gordon and Crabbe.
    Matches up well with the Golden States of the world with the exception of guarding Curry but who can?

1 person likes this.
  8. Since75

Since75 Member

Let me share a but of wisdom with you young man. If you want to have a dialogue or discussion with someone where you have an opposing view you don't insult them and expect anything close to them defending their position. You can disagree with any and all of my posts. My point just for the record was not that big name players don't or can't win titles. The fact that a big name player on your team doesn't guarantee championships. The context I and Vivo were discussing was centered around the Rockets going after big name players that are available this year.Al Horford was the player in question. The only true Superstar player available is Durant and he is probably not coming here. From a value perspective I felt and continue to feel that perimeter players who can shoot are a better way to go when there are no other Superstar players available just a bigger name player like Horgird who by just adding him to the Rockets roster alone will not make the Rockets a championship contender either. It will just be a good player paid 26 to 30 mil per year when itheres a possibility that the Rockets could get to above average shooters for the same money since they currently have NO shooters that out any fear in opposing team. Learn to be more respectful in your disagreeing with another person's opinion. It will to you well as you move forward in life.

1 person likes this.
  9. Since75

Since75 Member

What I meant to say was that Big name players don't guarantee a championship. Its obvious you need great players. The problem is there are only so many around. Taking one sentence out of a paragraph is negligent. I Would be much appreciated comments on the players since the OP was free agent ideas.

10. StrawberryJamm

From looking at stats and reading a bit, Ian Clark and E'twaun Moore are 3 and D guys stuck behind Steph Curry and Jimmy Butler respectively, that played well when given a chance. They're both unrestricted and could be smart fits next to Harden. Anyone seen more of their games that could enlighten me further?

11. malakas

malakas Member

I find it very hard to believe that there's a single GM in this league that will give Gordon 10 per even with the cap rise after he practically "stole" all those money previously from the Pelicans. Especially on a 4 years deal. Perhaps a 8 per 2 year deal yes. He's completely untrustworthy and there are many rumours about his lifestyle/habits making things much worse.

Moore didn't play that much this year as far I remember but when he did he did pretty well especially in the end when the Bulls were very desperately fighting for the playoffs. He is a good defender and a good shooter but only in the end he had the coach's trust. The Bulls traditionally don't pay anything much for their pg backup and leave it for the last moment and I think with a decent offer at the start of free agency there's a good chance that it will be a contract that brings much more value than other overpaid players.

12. basketballholic

Moore and Clark can both ball, they are sold characters, and hard workers. Would take both of them on budget deals.

13. Since75

Since75 Member

I'm certainly ok with a shorter term deal and less annual salary for Gordon if that's gonna get it done. That leaves more money to give to another player. I assume that the other proposed acquisitions and salaries were reasonable money wise and basketball wise.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really nice scenario. Adds a lot of players but the cotracts seem reasonable. Good suggestion.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Asumming no KD and Horford...

How about Batum (25), Noah (13), Lull (6). Brewer is moved. Keep DMo's cap hold and match. Have 2 second round picks and 2.8M room exception (Gentile?).

Noah/Capela/Harrell
    Batum/Dmo/Beasley
    Ariza/McDaniels/Dekker
    Hardn/Lull/VetMin
    Beverley/llull/Goudelock

Might look good in an MDA system, Batum playing the Marion role.

16. StrawberryJamm

Looks good, Harden/Noah pick and roll with 3 shooters would be hard to stop. LLulls not coming tho.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is the correct way to build a team. Would you rather spend the money on 3 or 4 guys but no stars like what Dallas has?

Plan A for me is KD, Plan B is Batum, Plan C is Barnes, Plan D is Dudley

I'm not that sure on Horford, he's already 30 years old so I'm a bit scared he's gonna start coming up with injuries like what happened with Dwight. Whiteside is too much of a loose cannon considering all he does is put up empty stats, I would actually be ok with our lineup of DMO/Capela/Beasley/Harrell up front if we can find a capable wing player like KD or Batum, Dudley's like Ariza mixed with Lamar Odom so he'll be pretty good to have on the team as well.

Not sure why everyone is down on Barnes, dude's really young at only 24 years old he hasn't put it all together yet I mean I'd rather pay him max money right now than a guy like Demar Derozan or an injury waiting to happen guy like Parsons.

It will be interesting what happens in the summer, I think Rox would be vastly improved coming into next season.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Since75,
    I actually like your approach. I think you found some player that players that could offer high reward for reasonable or even bargain salaries.

Allen Crabbe is the real intriguing suggestion on your list. The couple of times I saw Portland play he looked pretty good. I didn't see enough to really get an understanding on where his defense is though. What are your thoughts on his defense.

Eric Gordon would be close to a max player IMO if he could just stay healthy. His defense used to be pretty good and I've thought for a long time that he would actually be the perfect running mate for James Harden. He is a player that can guard 1s and doesn't need the ball in his hands to be a lethal offensive option. I suspect he could be had for a bargain deal and as long is its a good deal not more than about 10 million a season I would love to have him.

I think I would throw some feelers out to see if any of Al Horford / Hasaan Whiteside / Joakim Noah would have any interest in coming to Houston. I think with D12 moving on we will need another big body besides DMo and Capela in the paint. If DMo is healthy I could see a lot of line-ups with him and Beasley on the floor together.

Anyway, I like that you are looking for free agents that could outplay the value of their contracts versus just free agents that everyone knows will get max contracts.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm a huge fan of Batum but is he worth 25 million? I'm not saying he's not but would his returns be worth the strain on the salary cap that 25 million would bring? Terrific defender and good but not great 3pt shooter. His real value IMO would be his ability to handle the ball.

I could definitely see him having a similar effect on the offense that Parsons had when we had him. Parsons was an excellent 2nd ball handler to James when they were on the floor together and something that the team has sorely needed since loosing him. I think Batum is better than Parson in that respect but Parsons is definitely better at finishing at the rim and shooting the 3 ball.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I can't believe people are scared of paying Horford but willing to throw a 40x4 to Gordon or pay guys with very bad injuries like Noah. First thing to consider when you sign a player should be his physical condition, especially as a Rockets fan...i mean, personally i'm pretty tired to see seasons conditioned (if not decided) by bad injuries.