1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It could. If Brady goes down and Garaoalolo comes in and plays well it would be through the roof.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Would you give up a second and third like we did for Schaub?

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Offensive lineman and running back I still like Conner even after the knee injury but would also be happy with Elliott.

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

He much Much better than Bridgewater. This is coming from a Teddy fan.

5. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Goff is the best qb prospect since Luck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cEGafktM5r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

First it was "SUCK for LUCK" then "S***water for Bridgewater" and now "Layoff for Goff"

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In that situation, they may just let go of Brady then. Belichick has always shown that he will get wha he can for his backup QB when his value is the highest.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably. Not like they're making much use of those picks anyways.

1 person likes this.
  9. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I have a feeling its going to be Hackenberg. BOB seems to like players that he is familiar with and perhaps thinks he can turn Hack around.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If it hackenberg fine. Then take Conner in the 2nd round of he comes out and sign a free agent offensive lineman or 2.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Doubt Conner will come out now. If he does, he'd be a value pick, at this point. It seems to be a running back crowded field, and with his injury, I could see him dropping to the 3rd.

There's some talk about him returning this year. If he wants to declare, I think he pushes for the comeback to help his stock.

That being said, someone asked him recently if he has thought about the draft since his injury, and he laughed and simply said no.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: he'd be a perfect fit here. He's a Bob McNair kind of guy.

If this somehow happens, it'd be a wet dream, at this point (there's a chance it could):

1- Stud O Lineman
    2- Hackenberg
    3- James Conner

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Suck Off for Goff

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Depends on where we draft.

I don't think we suck enough to get a top 8 pick. We're not gonna make the playoffs either. I don't know where 7-9 gets you. Probably around picks 12-16.

Wouldn't mind an inside linebacker in the first round.

And 2017, I would like a Duane Brown replacement.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I'm thinking 5-11 if Foster is out a total of 4-6 games. Where would that put them with that record ?

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Exactly. He's Texan material through and through. That would be my dream scenario draft also. And I believe he comes out based on the simple fact he could risk getting hurt again it would make since just to come out now and get in a good situation like our Texans. He wouldn't have to start or contribute immediately if at all his first year and recover from his injury.

16. rockets13champs

Cardale Jones reminds me of Cam Netwon a bit

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Like a mix between Cam Newton, Jamarcus Russell, and a rock.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's clear we should have gotten Carr. I understand on why we did not.

X better return asap and contribute.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Not nearly that type of athlete. More like a very poor man's Big Ben.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As we look (again) look ahead to the NFL draft it would behoove us to take a look back a what's shaping up to be a dismal draft year for the NFL and how we view the implications of the draft. In today's MMQB, Peter King looks back at what happened with the 2013 draft - one for which Rick Smith gets really beat up over around here. Turns out, he's not alone. Here's the link: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/21/nfl-week-2-seattle-seahawks-monday-morning-quarterback

How we view the importance of drafts

It’s not altogether strange for the top of a draft to crap out. But so fast? That could be the lasting story of the 2013 first round. The first overall pick, tackle Eric Fisher, is on the bench with the Chiefs. Four players in the top half of the first round look like looming busts, and the bottom half of the round looks stronger than the top half already. Keep in mind that the 2013 class was not evaluated to be particularly strong. There wasn’t a no-doubt quarterback, and the skill positions and corners were below-average. But who’d have thought it would look this bad 34 games later?

Surveying the carnage leads to one overriding conclusion: We hype drafts to a silly level of expectation. We overrate players just because of where they are picked. We don’t wait to see how they play before we rate success and failure. And then, a couple of years later, we look at a draft like 2013 and say with some incredulity, W-w-w-what happened?

As one longtime scout told me Saturday: “That draft is a disaster—a total riddle. You simply can’t predict how players will do in a different environment. Everyone thought Eric Fisher would be good. Everyone. I thought Jonathan Cooper would be good. Easy pick. There is a randomness to the draft that you can’t explain.”

I’m going to get to the lesson of why a volume of compensatory picks should be as valuable as first-round picks in a few moments. But first, learn a draft lesson this morning. The badness of the 2013 draft:

• There is not a star among the top dozen picks of the first round. Not close. Ziggy Ansah, maybe. But if the best player in the top 12 of a draft after 2.1 years is a guy averaging half a sack per start, that’s a terrible bit of testimony to the quality of a draft.

• The No. 1 overall pick, tackle Eric Fisher of the Chiefs, lost his left tackle job to the 74th pick of the 2012 draft, Donald Stephenson. And then, under cloudy circumstances, Fisher lost the right tackle job—because of an ankle sprain, or maybe poor performance—to a tackle off the street, Jah Reid, signed just seven days before the season-opener. The Chiefs will have paid Fisher $17.7 million by the end of this season, and they’ve got to be having major buyer’s remorse for a guy who, according to Pro Football Focus, was the 34th-rated right tackle in the NFL his rookie year (among 36 who played at least eight games) and the 28th-rated left tackle in 2014.

• The No. 3 pick, defensive end Dion Jordan, is suspended for the season for violating the league’s substance-abuse program, his third substance suspension in three years. He has started one game and had three sacks.

• The No. 9 pick, cornerback Dee Milliner of the Jets, had a poor rookie year, tore his Achilles last year, and saw the Jets sign three free-agent cornerbacks this year to play above him … then needed wrist surgery in camp (his seventh football-related surgery of his life) and will be sidelined until at least midseason. So it’s not all his fault, certainly. But he hasn’t been a profitable pick for the Jets.

• The No. 16 pick, quarterback EJ Manuel, is the third passer on the Buffalo depth chart after 14 underwhelming starts in his first two seasons.

Then there are the marginal starters: tackle Luke Joeckel of Jacksonville (second overall), defensive end Barkevious Mingo of Cleveland (sixth overall), guard Jonathan Cooper of Arizona (seventh overall), and cornerback D.J. Hayden of Oakland (12th overall). So in just 28 months, eight of the top 16 picks have raised major questions about their future. That is significantly more than the major questions in the second half of the first round. The last 16 picks, overall, are clearly better than the top 16. Compare for yourself:

The Top Half of 2013 Round 1 The Bottom Half of 2013 Round 1
    1. Kansas City T Eric Fisher 17. Pittsburgh LB Jarvis Jones
    2. Jacksonville T Luke Joeckel 18. San Francisco S Eric Reid
    3. Miami DE Dion Jordan 19. N.Y Giants T Justin Pugh
    4. Philadelphia T Lane Johnson 20. Chicago G-T Kyle Long
    5. Detroit DE Ziggy Ansah 21. Cincinnati TE Tyler Eifert
    6. Cleveland DE Barkevious Mingo 22. Atlanta CB Desmond Trufant
    7. Arizona G Jonathan Cooper 23. Minnesota DT Sharrif Floyd
    8. St. Louis WR/Ret Tavon Austin 24. Indianapolis DE Bjoern Werner
    9. N.Y. Jets CB Dee Milliner 25. Minnesota CB Xavier Rhodes
    10. Tennessee G Chance Warmack 26. Green Bay DE Datone Jones
    11. San Diego T D.J. Fluker 27. Houston WR DeAndre Hopkins
    12. Oakland CB D.J. Hayden 28. Denver DT Sylvester Williams
    13. N.Y. Jets DT Sheldon Richardson 29. Minn. WR Cordarrelle Patterson
    14. Carolina DT Star Lotulelei 30. St. Louis LB Alec Ogletree
    15. New Orleans S Kenny Vaccaro 31. Dallas C Travis Frederick
    16. Buffalo QB E.J. Manuel 32. Baltimore S Matt Elam

If I were to rank the top quarter of that draft’s first round, I’d go this way:

1. Sheldon Richardson (13th overall).
    2. Travis Frederick (31st).
    3. Desmond Trufant (22nd).
    4. Kyle Long (20th).
    5. Xavier Rhodes (25th).
    6. DeAndre Hopkins (27th).
    7. Sharrif Floyd (23rd).
    8. Ziggy Ansah (5th).

Quite an indictment of the scouting process in 2013, that six of the top eight players may have been picked from No. 20 and beyond. There are several messages here. The easy thing to say is that scouts stink, and the thought process of teams is flawed. What I would say is that scouting is an incredibly inexact science. Joeckel and Fisher have struggled with the outside speed of the pro game, though Joeckel, specifically, played against speed rushers on the outside of a spread system at Texas A&M. So how do you figure him struggling so mightily? I think it’s also the case that some years, and this one certainly appears to be one, are just not top-heavy. The strength of the draft looked to be on the outside of the offensive and defensive lines, and it’s been nothing like that.

Two other points need to be made.

In this draft-evaluation business, you’ve got to be careful with making absolute statements. For example, GM Scott Pioli was ridden out of Kansas City after four seasons, in early 2013. But from his four drafts come the guts of the current Chiefs defense that looks so good right now: Dontari Poe and Allen Bailey on the line, 2014 NFL sack leader Justin Houston (with the 70th pick in 2011) at outside linebacker, and Eric Berry in the defensive backfield (if he can continue his comeback from lymphoma). The left tackle, Stephenson, was a Pioli third-round pick in 2012. Pioli had his share of misses, and didn’t leave Andy Reid with a quarterback of the future. But his hits—and the team’s relative success since his dismissal—go to show you that the tar-and-feathering business in personnel evaluation can be pretty misleading.

Also, I’ve become convinced—and this started with the way Jimmy Johnson/Jerry Jones were wheeling and dealing when Johnson got to the Cowboys—that the number of picks in a draft is far more important than the location of the picks. With lots of low-round gems, Johnson proved that collecting lots of picks was the way to go, because history says teams are bound to be wrong on even some of the seemingly surest things. Take the Ravens. They are the biggest believers in the compensatory pick system. That’s the lottery in which teams that lose pricey free agents collect picks between the third and seventh rounds in future drafts as compensation. In the past five drafts the Ravens have had 15 compensatory picks and turned them into two key pieces of the offensive line—starting tackle Ricky Wagner and third guard John Urschel—plus starting fullback Kyle Juszczyk and pass-rusher Pernell McPhee. Love this irony: McPhee could net the Ravens a pick at the end of the fourth round in 2016 after he signed a five-year, $39 million contract with the Bears last spring. That’s the kind of personnel discipline, knowing when to let good players leave because you trust you can train new players who cost much less, that consistently good teams have.