1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

OBrien would be silly to make such a promise. The best he could do would be to tell him if he is still there in the 2nd round and if the Texans haven't drafted a qb he will consider drafting him.

The draft advisory board probably gave him a second round or higher grade. He knows he will look good in shorts and a shirt during the combine and pro days and his stock will go up.

Smart move by this kid to get out before his value sinks even lower.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nailed it.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If the season was over today, Texans would draft 22nd, per NFL. Final order determined by playoffs</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/684074126273691649">January 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are there really any college QBs worth a first round pick in the 2016 draft?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but not an early first round pick IMO. All of the QB's in this class come with significant red flags.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Of course this is the year McNair says we have to take a QB and maybe even trade up

7. No Worries

... yeah but the red flags should push those QBs out of the first round. The question is worth. Many QBs will be drafted in the first round, whether it is a good idea or not.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well in a good QB class, sure. Like you said though, many of those QB's will be drafted no matter what.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Free agent QBs of note:
    Sam Bradford
    Brock Osweiler
    Kirk Cousins

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Please sweet baby Jesus keep Sam Bradford far away from us.

Cousins has zero chance of getting away from Washington.

Osweiler is mildly intriguing depending on how loyal Denver is to Manning, but highly doubtful they let him go with Manning being so old.

Draft will be the best way to go about it.

11. No Worries

What no love for Brandon Weeden? or TJ Yates? :grin:

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

No thank you none of those will do .

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Probably going to be draft or bust for a new QB.

With Mccoy being retained in SD, Rivers is probably back there.

If Sean Peyton jumps ship, maybe Brees comes available but that's about all that I see.

It looks like we could actually have considerable cap space this summer...we have about $30mm with only Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, and Crick as notable free agents and $10-15mm more available through cuts of Foster, Graham, R.Moore, and/or Wilfork.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Insiders tell me New York Jets will target a QB in the 1st two rounds. Team has been extensively scouting the top QB prospects all season</p>&mdash; Tony Pauline (@TonyPauline) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyPauline/status/684014362932162560">January 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. rullrich

rullrich Member

Would they be distancing from Geno in this case? Is he too much of a bust to target for the Texans? Feels like there's too many teams targeting a QB in the first round (CLE, SF, NYJ, STL, to have any faith in who would be available at our pick.

Carson Wentz from North Dakota State is projected on a few mock drafts (Rotoworld, CBS) at our current slot - might be worth a look but would he be better than the best RB available at this slot? Elliot or Henry would almost certainly be available mid 20's in the draft.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Geno is garbage wrapped in dog crap. He has no value in the NFL whatsoever.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

No Geno Smith. He's a worse option than Bradford, Kaepernick, RG3, and Fitzpatrick. Some mock drafts are also showing the Cowboys picking their QB of the future (which seems way too early IMO). I think the consensus is that you can find RBs in the lower round. I would love to see Elliot on this team but it is looking likely he'll be gone by the time the Texans pick. Even if he is available, they might have to pick between him and their QB at that point.

18. rullrich

rullrich Member

Agree we'd have to make a decision at RB/QB based on who's available. I guess the question is whether someone like Wentz/Hackenberg would be better than the lot of Bradford/Kap/RG3/Fitzy.

Personally I think Kap still has something in the tank - coaching/team had a lot to do with his rapid decline (plus injuries). At least we know he's capable of balling - it's a gamble with a rookie QB.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For me, I take a chance on RG3 over the bunch, I never thought Kap was worth a damn, Bradford isn't a legitimate option, and neither is Fitz. I think if Dallas picks Manziel over RG3, you make a run at him, otherwise you pick a QB from the draft.

20. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

I wouldn't believe anything teams say about the draft. Its lying season